Jhalak Dikhhlaa Jaa Season 6

whats the obsession with contemporary

bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 10 years ago
Is there no other dance form? Have these ppl heard about the numerous, numerous indian dance forms that are so distinct from each other. Even if they want to do non indian dance forms - is contemporary the only option? This is not a criticism of anyone in particular but a general observation across all dance shows on all channels. Ya ppl do a few other forms once in a while but mostly its overwhelmingly contemporary. And indian dance is rarer still. In the past 2-3 years, i have seem so much of contemporary that i think i am fit to judge it by now 😆 . And i promise i will be better than kjo!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MyDarkPassenger thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I so agree with you! 
I thought the same when I was watching this episode.. man their is no other dance form or what?  
I am so bored with it.. every second performance is contemporary! Why?
Can't they try something new? 
.Anamika. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I think a lot of the choreographers might have been originally trained in contemp. Or maybe they find it easier to teach it to their partners? Either way, sometimes I do wish there are more forms but contemporary is one my favourite dance form, so I'm not complaining! People complain about too many lifts as well but I always find them pretty awesome. 
sadumaneet thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
So true seems like choreographers r obsessed with contemporary dance form but trust me even iam kind of bore with this dance form now
i m ok with any form if dance n act is nice 😆
BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
true!! Jhalak gets so repetitive and boring! 
MissSkeptic thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I think with contemporary, it is perphaps easier to tell a story since the theme this week is family? With contemporary, typically, the song (including melodies, lyrics, beats, etc) and the dance moves are supposed to help you convey a story...They cant use like rumba or salsa as it would be difficult to narrate a family theme story in those dance forms?
And I love watching a good contemporary dance so I am not complaining!
I am sure there are many Indian dance forms that could have been used but I am too familiar with them to comment...

I have not seen this week performances yet though!
bips thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Anamika.

I think a lot of the choreographers might have been originally trained in contemp. Or maybe they find it easier to teach it to their partners? Either way, sometimes I do wish there are more forms but contemporary is one my favourite dance form, so I'm not complaining! People complain about too many lifts as well but I always find them pretty awesome.

You know, i kind of dont like lifts too 😆 . I find them way too gimmicky. And there is one lift i absolutely hate - where the man lifts the girl with one hand by gripping between her legs. Urghhh. I saw it first on some international show. I think salman did it in his last act, though it was a milder version. And another couple did it last week on indias dancing superstar. As a girl i find that completely horrid
bips thumbnail
Originally posted by: MissSkeptic

I think with contemporary, it is perphaps easier to tell a story since the theme this week is family? With contemporary, typically, the song (including melodies, lyrics, beats, etc)and the dance moves are supposed to help you conveya story...They cant use like rumba or salsa as it would be difficult to narrate a family theme story in those dance forms?

</div>
And I love watching a good contemporary dance so I am not complaining!
I am sure there are many Indian dance forms that could have been used but I am too familiar with them to comment...<div>
I have not seen this week performances yet though!

When i first saw good contemporary on tv (did) i was completely in awe. But now, its like - yawn! Actually indian dance forms are all about story telling. You could trace back the origins of most indian dance forms as an attempt to tell a story rather than simply dancing.

DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Tell me about it.. I am honestly tired of seeing the contestants perform contemporary over and over again. I've said this several times on the forum, and it's not because I love Freestyle and Hiphop myself.. but I really want to see people blending two dance forms! Like Hiphop with Bharatnatyum perhaps? which would give a taste of the West and the East. I remember America's best dance crew did that once. I thoroughly enjoyed it!