Page 7 of 150

tina59

IF-Rockerz

tina59

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by edgarwright

Originally posted by tina59

http://www.emirates247.com/entertainment/films-music/review-dhanush-s-bollywood-take-off-raanjhanaa-is-a-terribly-one-sided-affair-2013-06-20-1.511289

Really like Dhanush myself - some of his Tamil flicks are top draer, but from what I hear, this is apparently the case. I feared this tbh.

Not every love story is set in foreign locations, dancing in weddings in palatial setting, and happily ever after.

The critic maybe wanted a typical Masala love story . The story is set in Banaras with two normal people, not ultra rich travelling around the world people. Obviously it has to be rustic and flawed. It cannot be a kjo types right and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it.

why are we so obsessed with typical and Happily cheesy love stories, why cant it be different and real

I don't think the critic was complaining about lack of "happily ever after" masala. Is that what you gathered from her review? Actually, if anything, she takes a few potshots at the tree-romances there. And from what I gather there, it doesn't seem much different from cliched Bollywood romance stories either, in essence at least. Her criticism about lack of character development re: Dhanush's character seems valid to me.

yes dhanush's character not being developed enough is constructive. However the comments on how the romance all happens in school etc. Believe it  or not, romance does happen in school and some go an extent especially in interior india infact it happens in cities as well.

basically the review doesn't say whats the problem with the movie. it looks like the critic was expecting something and was disappointed that it didn't happen.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "RAANJHANAA REVIEWS (Page 7)" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

bonnefille

IF-Rockerz

bonnefille

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
SPOILER ALERT: TEXT IN WHITE

The unrequited love isn't the problem here, but how he taunts, teases, tortures and even threatens his ladylove into submission. She apparently gives in only because he's "consistent" and not because she has any feelings for him.

Eight years (and a Holi song) later, she returns to her hometown only to find her man still deeply in love, and equally eager to slit his wrist if she declines his proposal.

Thankfully she has matured and doesn't give in to his demands.

But, things go completely haywire then on.

Double marriage plans, an untimely death, revenge, and even a political campaign are weaved into the narrative.

^ I do not like the sound of the story, especially the part in bold. Dead

Edited by bonnefille - 20 June 2013 at 12:57pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-Piyatrix

K.Sean

IF-Sizzlerz

K.Sean

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged
The first thing I'll be doing after my exams is watching this movie. I just hope she ends up with Abhay/Akram/Jassi.. and not Kundan. Otherwise it would be the usual crappy love story.

-Swetha-

edgarwright

Groupbie

edgarwright

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged

http://www.emirates247.com/entertainment/films-music/review-dhanush-s-bollywood-take-off-raanjhanaa-is-a-terribly-one-sided-affair-2013-06-20-1.511289

Really like Dhanush myself - some of his Tamil flicks are top draer, but from what I hear, this is apparently the case. I feared this tbh.

Not every love story is set in foreign locations, dancing in weddings in palatial setting, and happily ever after.

The critic maybe wanted a typical Masala love story . The story is set in Banaras with two normal people, not ultra rich travelling around the world people. Obviously it has to be rustic and flawed. It cannot be a kjo types right and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it.

why are we so obsessed with typical and Happily cheesy love stories, why cant it be different and real

I don't think the critic was complaining about lack of "happily ever after" masala. Is that what you gathered from her review? Actually, if anything, she takes a few potshots at the tree-romances there. And from what I gather there, it doesn't seem much different from cliched Bollywood romance stories either, in essence at least. Her criticism about lack of character development re: Dhanush's character seems valid to me.

yes dhanush's character not being developed enough is constructive. However the comments on how the romance all happens in school etc. Believe it  or not, romance does happen in school and some go an extent especially in interior india infact it happens in cities as well.

basically the review doesn't say whats the problem with the movie. it looks like the critic was expecting something and was disappointed that it didn't happen.

Good god, did you read her review? Her problem is not that it happens in school, but the whole setting of Hero bullying heroine by threatening her or cut himself, and the whole thing happens in the setting of school. I can't say I blame her, that's pretty disturbing. Unless you're not supposed tike Dhanush's character, which is not the case here as the story builds. And that's not exclusive to this movie either, I'm sick of movies portraying stalking as romantic in general, let alone this, BTW.

Edited by edgarwright - 20 June 2013 at 12:40pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Mahika24-Swetha-Vedika211bonnefilleChillMaarYaar

bonnefille

IF-Rockerz

bonnefille

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged
I hope in the climax Kundan realizes that he wasted his time for Zoya when it should have been Swara Bhaskar's character whom he should have always loved. That would be one explosive ending! In the wake of Jiah's death, films should not promote obsessive love. 

One sided love affairs are urgh! Love should not be wasted on someone who doesn't reciprocate.  

And yup, the sound of Kundan's character is disturbing! I hope in the end he let's go of his obsessive love.  

Edited by bonnefille - 20 June 2013 at 12:44pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

edgarwright-Swetha-ChillMaarYaar

tina59

IF-Rockerz

tina59

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:46pm | IP Logged

Good god, did you read her review? Her problem is not that it happens in school, but the whole setting of Hero bullying heroine by threatening her or cut himself, and the whole thing happens in the setting of school. I can't say I blame her, that's pretty disturbing. Unless you're not supposed tike Dhanush's character, which is not the case here as the story builds. And that's not exclusive to this movie either, I'm sick of movies portraying stalking as romantic in general, let alone this, BTW.

its all right calm down, its only a movie review and I am stating my opinion on how I read the review that's all. From what I see , these things does happen and that's the truth. Not everything is hunky dory love story. Every love story is different and this type also does happen. Maybe most doesn't end up happily but exceptions do exist.

That should not be the criteria to judge a movie. How I see it, looks like the critic expected something and was disappointed and hence the review which is completely fine.

chill, cheers I am purely commenting on the crtic's review based on how I read  it which can be different from ur perceptions

-Swetha-

GundayVedant

IF-Sizzlerz

GundayVedant

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bonnefille

SPOILERS
The unrequited love isn't the problem here, but how he taunts, teases, tortures and even threatens his ladylove into submission. She apparently gives in only because he's "consistent" and not because she has any feelings for him.

Eight years (and a Holi song) later, she returns to her hometown only to find her man still deeply in love, and equally eager to slit his wrist if she declines his proposal.

Thankfully she has matured and doesn't give in to his demands.

But, things go completely haywire then on.

Double marriage plans, an untimely death, revenge, and even a political campaign are weaved into the narrative.

^ I do not like the sound of the story, especially the part in bold. Dead

Please insert 'SPOILERS' In your post...

Edited by vedant123 - 20 June 2013 at 1:03pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-bonnefille

bonnefille

IF-Rockerz

bonnefille

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
^^^ They are excerpts from the review posted by you. You also haven't given spoiler alert as well. Changed the text to white...you could do the same in my quoted text.

Edited by bonnefille - 20 June 2013 at 1:04pm

-Swetha-

Post Reply New Post

Go to top