India-Forums

what makes a hero/heroine ?

aishwaryagayen IF-Rockerz
aishwaryagayen
aishwaryagayen

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged

ok i have been reading something on amazon and thought of sharing 

what makes a hero/heroine?

there are some heroes we love more than others,sometimes they have brown eyes and sometimes blue, sometimes they have lots of muscles and sometimes just the twinkle of eyes makes wonder for us  isn't it ?

then there are heroines, the damsels in distress or the fiesty ones. 

some wants us to knock some sense in her and other are so funny that we want to kiss her too !

so what makes a perfect hero/heroine in a romance for you?

and

what makes a not so perfect hero/heroine for you?

okay about the perfect part  i will let you all decide because i drool over 90% heroes and ignore the heroine in a romance novel but about the not so perfect part when hero is 40 and heroine is 20 that makes me go ballastic, i hate those kind of age differences 

i love it when the hero is protective but overbearing is so not my thing

and i hate TSTL = too stupid to live kind of heroines who atrract troubles like magnets and always acts like damsels in distress ... get some spunk woman! 

so what's your take ?

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

ShantanuSoulkshows_fangirlveera25zephyr29iluvOriginalsepiphany.-StephinesS-

Jamino Newbie
Jamino
Jamino

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged
Hero is somebody more than usual human. 
He or she has some kind of attrackness.
That attrackness is something unsual. 
Hero do things differently from others.
So unsual things attracks usual people.Wink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

aishwaryagayen

zephyr29 IF-Rockerz
zephyr29
zephyr29

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged
Wow great topic. I'm a huge fan of historical romances so chivalry, gallantry, honour are favourable words when describing a hero but not at all times.

I like a lot of variety in my heroes and heroines.
For an ideal hero,
- he could be the handsome, smooth and charming rake with a heart of gold, or
- he could be the tall, dark and brooding tortured soul,
- the tough & cynical, man of the world type who might have a secret vulnerable side, or
- the hard, no-nonsense, eldest son types who takes his responsibilities and duties way too seriously but yet hides a wild and fun side to him.

As for perfect heroines,
- I like the quiet types who people might underestimate, but who has an unexpected inner strength and boldness in them, especially when dealing with the hero Embarrassed .
- she could also be the spunky, fiesty, street-smart type who seems way ahead of her times,
- she could be slightly eccentric and bohemian, always up for adventures, tagging the hapless hero alongwith her.
- also like no-nonsense types, very serious about their jobs/responsiblities, who will not let any one mess around with them and who trades the maximum barbs with the hero LOL.

As for not-so-perfect heroes/heroines:
Heroes - The Alpha Male, can't stand those types. Also the chauvinistic men who try to force themselves on the heroines. Probably why I can never read some of those bodice rippers.

Heroines - The know-it-all, feminist types are extremely off-putting. Also the ones who seem unreasonable and stubborn as a mule right uptil the end. The ones you feel tempted to give a good shake.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

AshTaraShantanuSoulaishwaryagayen

bookworm-ALS-- IF-Stunnerz
bookworm-ALS--
bookworm-ALS--

Posted: 20 June 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged
Hmm...my ideal hero would be this underdog kind of person, but resilient and determined...someone who can fight whatever ill circumstances he may get into! He could be either the handsome-arrogant-reserved type, or the quiet-friendly-helpful type.
I hate heroes which are chauvinistic and the ones which go fida on the girl and are like 'to hell with everyone else' - so annoying!
Sometimes, I like grey characters too, but not every writer pulls it off. :(

Heroines- I like the ones which don't suddenly develop a great heart just for the hero. Rather, an attraction which turns into love over time, in which i've been disappointed quite a few times.:( I love the tomboy-loud-feisty kind of heroine, but I also like the shy kind of girl who actually has a lot of spunk and can be daring in the situation asked her to be so.

Overall, in both sexes, I hate the so-called 'perfect' characters- they have everything, looks, money, a perfect character and have no real flaws of character! I hate that everyone would consider them perfect and often the author does too. Very irritating.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShantanuSoulaishwaryagayen

kshows_fangirl Goldie
kshows_fangirl
kshows_fangirl

Posted: 22 June 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged
I HATE those kind of heroes who are unable to decide whether they love the heroine or not! I have read a lot of heroes who were too scared to admit that they were in love with the heroine, and just for the heck of it to satisy their ego, they push her away/ cheat on her with other woman! Then when they have sex with the other woman, they realise "Oh, my feelings for the heroine are real and not LUST!!Angry...I absolutely loath such kind of heroes! Trust me I have read so many historical romances and some contemporaries that have such kind of heroes!

Okay, I have a completely different take from others about Alpha/Protective/Possessive/Badasses/Bikers/Gamma dudes heroes. I love and adore these type of heroes ONLY in novels. Maybe I am stupid or silly but I really do love them in novels! But, in real life I wouldn't mind if he is a little possessive (I would kinda like that!Embarrassed b/c I will be a little possessive of him too), protective, caring and has a strong sense of humor (That is my Ideal typeLOL)...In personal life I am very feisty and cannot handle anyone who tries to harm my family (I basically can't hear a word against my loved ones, and I just go ballistic!LOL)

Okay I have read some books for eg: 50 shades of Grey(that is type of hero I absolutely hate!!, too much of something is destroying to one's personal confidence!)..But, on the other hand, I have loved all alpha heroes from Lisa Kleypas, Kristen Ashley, Lisa Marie Rice, Maya Banks, Pamela Clare, Anne Stuart, Abbie Glines, Colleen Hoover, Jamie McGuire, Jessica Sorensen, Samantha Young, S.C. Stephens, Tina Reber, J.L. Flynn, Shannon McKenna, Sylvia Day, to name a few...Smile...I have no problem with alpha heroes as long as the heroines have a backbone and are able to take care of themselves (I like feisty heroines, all the innocent shy types yet still possesses a strong determination)...Those are are type of heroines I like if the hero is alpha/possessive!

So, yeah I am all for alpha/tortured/cynical/rakes/too uptight heroes I also love!! I really have no problems with the heroes I have read in the novels except for 50shades of Grey/cheating heroes heroines which bug the hell outta me! I love playboys who after meeting the heroine gradually change for the better!

Yeah, that's about it! Once in a while I love to read novels with no sex/love scenes in them, just maybe a few kisses! I have read a couple of HIstorical Romances like that which were really just amazing without any mature scenes in them! It was more focused on their relationship and their journey to love together.

I would love to read other replies to ur post! I mostly find questions like these only on Amazon as u said! That is where mostly I get suggestions from others on the books I wanna read! It opens a lot more reading options for me!Thanks for making this post!Tongue

Edited by nikita59 - 22 June 2013 at 10:53am

aishwaryagayen

aishwaryagayen IF-Rockerz
aishwaryagayen
aishwaryagayen

Posted: 23 June 2013 at 8:41am | IP Logged

ok so many mixed reviews .. we have alpha lovers.. then we have beta underog lovers .. and rake lovers and so much 

well yes sometimes some alpha heroes are found to be claustrophobic and the damsels in distress whinning but there are times when damsels in distresses work and the kick ass heroines feel repetative 

and well me too a fan of alpha heroes .. i like a guy who carries himself with lots of confidence.. 

i used to be a historical fan .. johanna lindsey and all . but bodicerippers and historicals are now out of my list .. i feel gagged at heroes who force themselves on heroine and has to rape her 3 times to get her to love him and i hate those heroine also who go willingly to someone who has humiliated her in the worst possible way 

i must say i don't like violent men .. but there is one author who makes me love violent bad men who can even hurt the heoines.. its ANNE STUART ... the ice series has the worst alpha .. confident . obnoxious men .. but man i fell in love with them can't help .. maybe its the author and the atmosphere ...

anyway i now found a new author that is ... PAULA GRAVES .. who writes good heroes .. good heroines and extreme atmosphere ... huh her description of smoky hills and danger makes me fall in love ... ..will be back with more .. !!

kshows_fangirl

epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 25 June 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
I'll be brief because heroes and heroines are basically like any other characters. They take the lead and everything is about them, but they too are persons. So, I believe my take on what makes a hero or heroine would be effected by the kind of people I like. That being said, I like to read to substance and strength. I am also a sucker for reason and back-stories. 

aishwaryagayen

veera25 IF-Rockerz
veera25
veera25

Posted: 13 July 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged
What an awesome topic! Clap

Upon watching the Godfather with my film literature class, my professor talked about this exact topic: what makes a hero?

There has actually been quite a bit of research done about what makes a hero, and why it is that so many stories around the world about heros are so similar. I don't know if you've heard of Joseph Campbell's "Hero Archetypes," "Hero's Journey" or otherwise known as "A Hero With a Million Faces."

Joseph Campbell has studied heros in all stories from all cultures throughout the world, and came up with a typical journey with which the hero follows:

I've taken the basic stages off of this website here: https://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero's_journey.htm

Its stages are:

1.        THE ORDINARY WORLD.  The hero, uneasy, uncomfortable or unaware, is introduced sympathetically so the audience can identify with the situation or dilemma.  The hero is shown against a background of environment, heredity, and personal history.  Some kind of polarity in the hero's life is pulling in different directions and causing stress.

2.        THE CALL TO ADVENTURE.  Something shakes up the situation, either from external pressures or from something rising up from deep within, so the hero must face the beginnings of change. 

3.        REFUSAL OF THE CALL.  The hero feels the fear of the unknown and tries to turn away from the adventure, however briefly.  Alternately, another character may express the uncertainty and danger ahead.

4.        MEETING WITH THE MENTOR.  The hero comes across a seasoned traveler of the worlds who gives him or her training, equipment, or advice that will help on the journey.  Or the hero reaches within to a source of courage and wisdom.

5.        CROSSING THE THRESHOLD.  At the end of Act One, the hero commits to leaving the Ordinary World and entering a new region or condition with unfamiliar rules and values. 

6.        TESTS, ALLIES AND ENEMIES.  The hero is tested and sorts out allegiances in the Special World.

7.        APPROACH.  The hero and newfound allies prepare for the major challenge in the Special world.

8.        THE ORDEAL.  Near the middle of the story, the hero enters a central space in the Special World and confronts death or faces his or her greatest fear.  Out of the moment of death comes a new life. 

9.        THE REWARD.  The hero takes possession of the treasure won by facing death.  There may be celebration, but there is also danger of losing the treasure again.

10.      THE ROAD BACK.  About three-fourths of the way through the story, the hero is driven to complete the adventure, leaving the Special World to be sure the treasure is brought home.  Often a chase scene signals the urgency and danger of the mission.

11.     THE RESURRECTION.  At the climax, the hero is severely tested once more on the threshold of home.  He or she is purified by a last sacrifice, another moment of death and rebirth, but on a higher and more complete level.  By the hero's action, the polarities that were in conflict at the beginning are finally resolved.

12.       RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR.  The hero returns home or continues the journey, bearing some element of the treasure that has the power to transform the world as the hero has been transformed.

it's really interesting to me how the hero's journey has made it's way throughout the world and has been integrated in almost every society throughout the world. LOL It's worth checking out, and definitely scores me a lot of points in my Lit classes and on my Lit papers when I identify and discuss the stages a hero goes through in Joseph Campbell's language Embarrassed

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

zephyr29-StephinesS-

Go to top