Debate Mansion

America- creating history of malicious decisions ? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 10

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

RTH: The Catch-22-ness of the situation is a bit debatable. While there is no concrete proof for it in Syria's case,(or maybe there is; my apologies for not having followed the Syria story too closely) the US has never been traditionally known to "assist" anybody without a deal or two. LOL

Of course there is always a selfish motive. US has interest in the oil reserves and wealth of the region and the Catch 22 gambit is who do they bet on: the rebels or the regime? Morality, ethics and global image is still a factor, the decision is about balancing selfish motives and the right thing.

It is not just USA who has a selfish motive in their foreign policy action. No nation acts out of pure altruism or compassion. There is always something in it for them. Whichever nation has the power and clout, will act in their narrow interest. Back in the day it was the British Empire, since the WW era it has been American big brother bullying. Tomorrow India or China could be taking the mantle of chief global asshole.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

hit_homerun_Angie_-PrimaDonna-FreshDaisy

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "America- creating history of malicious decisions ? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

hit_homerun

hit_homerun

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged
[QUOTE=DonnaHarvey
This "help" could turn out okay or it could go downhill fast with new age weapons ending up in the wrong hands.

[/QUOTE]

is there ever a right hand ? what do u think the rebels will do upon the receiving of weapons ? play ice-hockey ?LOL

hit_homerun

hit_homerun

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Angie_

The arms and ammunition unless given in charity would mean good bussiness if nothing else.
LOL if only it were that simple ! *sigh*

hit_homerun

hit_homerun

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Putting ourselves in the shoes of Syrians we may be better able to see things clearly. Basically they all want peace and it is the greed for power that causes a rift among the people.
Sometimes it is a tough call but generally whenever there is a domestic dispute and fights it is best that other countries stay out. However, if there is a mass murder of civilians going on then the neighboring countries should do something about it and help as they are all affected too.
In the case of Syria it is a civil war. The neighboring Arab countries should try to help settle it.
But if they do not want to get involved then the United Nations should be involved. UN is basically USA in many ways.
Yes no matter what USA or any other country does in the Middleeast there will always be  a lot of blame.

@ purple - the political lives of the Arab world are inextricably entwined . it is saddening how gradually all of them are facing such malice . u are right . it is the  lust of power that always arises such atrocities . well this time the Arabs are active in discussions . [thats where it ends ]

there's so much to think about here , if democracy really is the answer ?

so i guess we all have to show the USA its scope in the doin the selfless  thing .LOLLOL

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hit_homerun

[QUOTE=DonnaHarvey
This "help" could turn out okay or it could go downhill fast with new age weapons ending up in the wrong hands.

is there ever a right hand ? what do u think the rebels will do upon the receiving of weapons ? play ice-hockey ?LOL
[/QUOTE]
jeez, I didn't think of that. Would be a good idea. The rounds could be the puck & the tank could be the Zamboni. Some game except...it's the desert & people are dying. Of all the things I said, you happened to skip over the extremists part. The rebels are infiltrated by Shariah law supporters who are more than willing to establish another Taliban. Syria is not the same as Egypt or Libya's struggle even though there are striking similarities. No, there is no dichotomous answer here but certainly not wise to arm those who maybe a bigger threat than the current one.  

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hit_homerun

hit_homerun

hit_homerun

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DonnaHarvey

[QUOTE=DonnaHarvey

jeez, I didn't think of that. Would be a good idea. The rounds could be the puck & the tank could be the Zamboni. Some game except...it's the desert & people are dying. Of all the things I said, you happened to skip over the extremists part. The rebels are infiltrated by Shariah law supporters who are more than willing to establish another Taliban. Syria is not the same as Egypt or Libya's struggle even though there are striking similarities. No, there is no dichotomous answer here but certainly not wise to arm those who maybe a bigger threat than the current one.  
[/QUOTE]

i understand . yes the regime could be another Taliban in making . 
but is there no answer other than a war ? because war is never the answer .

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged
I see practically no difference between Egypt and Syria. Like the former, its a Dictator vs. Fundamentalists (MB in Egypt) situation. 

hit_homerun

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 24 June 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by DonnaHarvey

[QUOTE=DonnaHarvey

i understand . yes the regime could be another Taliban in making . 
but is there no answer other than a war ? because war is never the answer .
[/QUOTE]
At this point, I don't know if there is another option. Maybe not full fledged war. But, violence is needed to combat the violence that is already going on. And this is not short term. The arms, the fighting has been in full swing long before America got involved. Just last year, the regime in Syri was straight up denying conflict reports from reputed international journalists in combat zones. I can never forget Marie Colvin's last broadcast before her & her fellow journalists' residence was shelled last in 2012 (Homs, Syria). That was then and a year and half later, the attacks are still going. Something's got to give. I don't know if USA inference is the right answer but, it is better than letting the situation be.

hit_homerun

Post Reply New Post

Go to top