Punar Vivah

ArYa OS: Moments in Time - COMPLETE

kdsubs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
I seem to be stuck in PV-land tonight...

An idea...a glimpse... shifting of the curtain into possibilities - Moments in Time in the life of Arti and Yash. This one-shot (in two or more parts, depending on how much i can pen down before i leave on vacation) is just that - snippets from their life, some significant and insignificant days or events that played a role in bringing them together. There is a story in here (and i even have a name for it <rolling my eyes>) but i don't know if i will even write the story.

The snippets are here though - Moments in Time...

INDEX

Part - 1

Part - 2

Part - 3

Other writings: Kat's fictions
Edited by kdsubs - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kdsubs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Moments in Time - Part 1

Arti's eyes glistened with tears as she got Ansh ready. Her six year old was going to the "big-kids" school! His first day!

I wish...instantly she curbed those thoughts. Futile thoughts that only brought pain. Why dwell on what was not to be?

She got him dressed, fed him a hurried breakfast and skipping her own, she drove them to his school. As he stood at the entrance, she pulled out her phone and took his picture. Then she pulled him to her and gave him a hug.

Ansh gave her a watery smile and started walking away. Suddenly he stopped, spun on his heels and looked back at her. He ran to her and she knelt down, gathering him into her arms again. He kissed her and she rubbed her nose against his. "Go on. You will love school. Trust me."

As he walked away, her eyes brimmed with tears. Her baby! His first step into the real world. And only she knew how hard it was to let him go...

"Trust me. You will love school."

She turned around as she heard an echo of her words. A man was bending down, hugging two girls tightly.

"We know Papa. You told us. But we have to go there first, na", one of the girls' said, wiping his tears off and Arti smiled to herself.

As Arti got into her car, she turned back to look towards the school gates one last time. Ansh was nowhere in sight - he had already gone in, as had the other children.  Most of the parents had left too. But he was still there - that man she had seen with two girls, still kneeling in the same position as he had been when his girls' went in.  He looked...familiar the thought floated in.

Ansh had been full of stories about his day but he could not stop talking about the twins in his class. "They look exactly alike, Mamma. No one can tell them apart - except me" he declared proudly.

Arti smiled at him as she placed dinner on the table. "And how do you tell them apart?"

"Easy!! One talks all the time and the other is always quiet!" he exclaimed triumphantly.  

"So how do you tell them apart when both are silent?" she asked.

"Never happens! I told you one talks non-stop" he said rolling his eyes.

While eating he continued his chatter, "You know Mamma, some of the kids were teasing the twins. And you know what?" he stopped expectantly.

"What?" she supplied dutifully.

"The quiet one? She just strode up to them and put her hands on her hips. Then she just stood there and glared. Mamma - they all ran away! She looked so scary with her eyes all round and angry" he said wonderingly.

Next morning Ansh met his new friends at the school gates. "Come on, let's go inside".

The twins were holding their father's hand.  At his words, the father's hold tightened.

"Don't worry Papa, we will be fine" one of the girls said. The other looked at Ansh and said, "You go in, why are you waiting here?"

"For you both" Ansh replied. "Come on, now".

The girls' pulled on their father's arms and as he bent down, they kissed him on the cheek on either side and then ran off.

As they ran inside the gates, Arti heard Ansh say, "You know what? We should become a team - theThree Musketeers."

Arti turned to the man. He looked so forlorn, so lost. She knew exactly how he felt. On an impulse, she said, "Your daughters?"

He turned to her and with unseeing eyes nodded a yes.

She saw his face for the first time and her breath caught. It couldn't be... could it? After so many years...

Hesitantly she said, "Yash?"

His eyes snapped into focus and he looked at her. And his eyes widened in recognition. "Arti?"

The past...

They had known each other in college. In fact, he had saved her from ragging. Three years her senior and one of the most sought after males in college, he had stalked up to Ishita who had been about to chop off Arti's long tresses and taken the shears out of her hands.

"Stay out of this Yash. We girls rag girls - you go mess with the freshmen boys" Ishita had snapped.

"I won't remind you of the rules Ishita - waste of time. But if you don't stop your activities right now I will make sure you are barred from every single campus party" Yash had replied quietly and walked away, leaving behind a white-faced furious girl.

Ishita had looked daggers at Arti for the remainder of that year, but she had left well alone. There were no more incidents of ragging - of any student in their college campus. The uber-cool Yash Scindia had declared ragging uncool... Who would dare rag and be called a dork then?

Arti had thanked Yash who had smiled and told her, "I couldn't let that witch cut your beautiful hair, now could I?" And with a wink he had walked away to join his friends. 

They would pass each other in the corridor and exchange hidden smiles. And in the year-end party, the one for graduating students, Yash had set tongues wagging by dancing the last dance with her.

Her friends had thought they were dating and had started to tease her. But when Arti completely ignored their teasing and they didn't see Yash again, they gave up on her. Unknown to them, Yash and Arti remained in touch via email for the next few years.

Life caught up with them. Yash got busy with work, Arti with graduation and job search. Slowly they lost touch, except for the annual emails wishing their families a happy new year. By unspoken consent, they never sent each other that greeting through mass email.  It was always a personal note, from one to the other. But even that had petered off in the last three years...

Present...

"Coffee?" Yash asked after they got over the preliminary surprised greetings.

Arti shook her head ruefully, "I would have loved to but I have to go. Have a client meeting in 30 minutes."

Yash nodded in understanding, "Some other time."

As they walked to their respective cars, Yash asked, "Where do you work?" Arti mentioned the name of the most prestigious publishing company in the nation. She was an editor there - a fact she was proud of, given the toil and tears that had accompanied her journey.

Yash clapped her on the back, making her stumble. He grabbed her arm to stop her from falling and said," Sorry but I got excited. That is absolutely wonderful Arti! I know how much you wanted that - your dream job in your dream company! And you did it! I am so proud of you".

Arti's eyes filled with tears. If only...no one had said that to her before...

She composed her face and said brightly, "Thank you Yash. You were always my rock. What are you doing now?"

He mentioned one of the largest banks in the country, where he was the regional manager. "Wow! That's excellent!" Arti said.

He shrugged, "I like it, yes, but its just work."

The underlying sadness and defeat in his tone surprised her. "Yash?" she asked turning to look at him, her eyes full of questions.  

Just then his cell phone rang and he turned away to answer it. After a brief moment, he looked at Arti and said, "Sorry Arti I have to go."

The coffee never happened. They met nearly each morning as they dropped their children off. They would chat for a few minutes each day, not more. Arti started to look forward to those brief moments in time...moments that were reminders of a happier time, moments of friendship,  moments when she could breathe and just be.

The school organized a picnic at the 6-month mark. Parents and siblings were invited. Ansh was so excited he and Arti reached school early!

The Three Musketeer gang had planned out the whole day and forced their parents to join them as well.  After a grueling few hours in the sun running after the kids, playing hop-scotch, kabaddi and finally cricket, Arti was exhausted.  When Ansh came and pulled her arm, she resisted, "No Ansh aur nahi! Mamma is tired beta. Let me rest. Why don't you go and play with your friends?"

Seeing Arti relax in the shade, Yash joined her with two glasses of lemonade. He sat down next to her and handed her one glass. They sat together quietly, in silent harmony.

As the children ran around in front of them, Arti smiled and asked, "Who is who?"

Yash smiled in return, He got that a lot. "Payal is the talkative one - with longer hair. Palak is the quieter one."

"But with large beautiful eyes that can become scary when someone messes with her and her sister" Arti said, a smile in her voice. Yash nodded and then looked at her questioningly so Arti told him about the first day in school.

"Yes...she has always been the fighter, the protector. Not that Miss Talk-a-thon needs a lot of protection, but Palak has her share of Mamma Bear hackles" Yash said, sliding down into a more comfortable position.

"Where is her Mamma?" Arti asked. And saw Yash's face close down. Almost as if he had pulled a shutter down...

"She...she is no more" Yash said in a flat voice.

"I am sorry" Arti replied, reaching out to touch her friend's shoulder. He nodded.

"Where is Ansh's father?" he asked in turn. And watched a plethora of emotions fly across Arti's expressive face. Anger, hurt, grief...and then...resignation.

"He is gone" she said blandly and walked away.

Part -2

Edited by kdsubs - 10 years ago
Zetter thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Wonderful start Dear 👏👏👏...Aww I love Yash and Aarti's friendship as well and the Three Musketeers own as well 😉 😳

Can't wait for what comes next 😃
Edited by Zetter - 10 years ago
caller123 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Wow thank you for this beautiful story dear... You are taking us to Aarya land all the time..😳
ruchshah thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Awesome...heart warming story!!!

Thanks for PM...appreciate it...n looking fwd. to this one!😃
princess121993 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
awesome...awesome...awesome...

please continue soon kat
drmhp thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
awesome one
loved to read it
thanks for PM
continue soon 
lulujjjj thumbnail
Simply superb loving it , thanks for the PM please continue soon.
palbhar thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Interesting start! Looking forward to the next chapter!
saf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Kat this was an amazing start. Loved every bit of what you have written. Fantastic job and looking forward to what is in store next.