ArYa Two-shot - COMPLETE: A Silent Diwali

kdsubs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Hello PV-ians,
I was going through my bunch of PV-related writings and realized i never posted this story in the MF. This was a write-up i did as part of the Diwali content last year. Some of you have probably read it already.

The background of the story: suffice it to say that the Mumbai fiasco had happened, Arti had realized her love for Yash, but Yash was still clueless. The two were still feeling their way through the changed dynamics of their relationship after the Mumbai blow-up. With her new found knowledge of her love for her husband, Arti wants to take the relationship forward, but cannot (or will not) take the first step knowing Yash's propensity for going off the deep-end. In this scenario, Diwali, the festival of lights, arrives. How will Arti plan a Diwali that will become memorable for her children, but most importantly for her Yashji?

Read on...

Thanks,
Kat

INDEX

Part - 1

Part - 2

Other writings: Kat's fictions

Edited by kdsubs - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kdsubs thumbnail

A Silent Diwali - Part 1

Vidhi, Arti, Paridhi and Pratik had been planning their annual family Diwali celebrations when Ansh, Palak and Payal came running into the room.

"Mumma, Mumma..." they echoed in chorus as the adults looked up enquiringly.

"What is it?" Arti asked, preoccupied.

"Mumma, Papa says we cannot get fire-crackers for Diwali" Palak complained.

"No bombs, no phuljari, no anar or rocket ...or ...or anything" Ansh added, agitated.

"Your Papa said that?" Arti asked, now perplexed. "Why?"                                                                                               

Unnoticed by Arti or the children, Yash had come into the room as well. Now he spoke, crossing his arms over his chests "Because Artiji fire-crackers are a waste of money. All you are doing is burning money - when you can use that same money for some good cause on Diwali. Candles and diya are fine, but no fire-crackers." Yash explained his stance loftily before walking out of the room, without a backward glance.

"Mumma!" the three children wailed.

"Hush! Stop crying...I will talk to your Papa, ok? Now run along, go to your room" cajoled Arti as she sent them out of the room.

Pratik and Vidhi exchanged glances. Barely suppressing a grin, Vidhi said "Good luck convincing Yash bhaiyya on this one Arti."

"Why?" Arti was puzzled.

Chuckling out loud Pratik filled her in "Bhaiyya is scared of fire crackers Bhabhi! When he was in 7th he got hurt trying to light a rocket - since then, he won't light fire-crackers."

"Really?" Arti mused "And what about his lofty speech that burning firecrackers is burning money?"

"Well, he does believe that now I guess. For the last few years, he has been using the money to feed the poor on Diwali day."

Arti mulled over the matter that evening. She knew how much the children wanted to see fire-works, but her Yashji was right too - the way he had been using the money was indeed worthwhile. How was she going to make the children happy while keeping Yash's intents intact?...Inspiration came with the breaking dawn... she would need the blessings and agreement of the family to pull this one off.

Diwali dawned bright and clear, but with a chilly undertone. Winter was coming…..

Arti came out after her shower, toweling her hair dry. Seeing Yash get out of bed she told him "Yashji, we all have to leave by 5pm. Please be ready."

"Hmmm...?" Yash was still half-asleep. "Where are we going at 5pm today, Artiji?"

"It's a special Diwali ritual Yashji. Please - be home before that. We all must go together."

"What ritual?" asked Yash, rubbing his eyes, finally awake.

"You will see. Just... be here, ok?" Arti added, almost commandingly but with a slight smile to take any sting out of the words.

Women and their rituals, Yash grumbled to himself. What now? What special ritual had Artiji just concocted?

Yash was running late - Artiji would have his hide. What ritual was this anyway?

Cursing the traffic jam silently that had delayed him - not leaving time for even a cup of tea - Yash practically ran into his room to get ready for the evening. And stopped short - his new sherwani was laid out on the bed and on the bedside table was a steaming hot cup of tea. Artiji! Bless her! Gulping the hot tea, Yash went into the bathroom to get ready.

After a few minutes, as he came out of the bathroom buttoning the silver buttons on his sherwani, the sight of Arti stopped him in his tracks. She looked breathtakingly beautiful in a deep red chiffon saree that clung to her curves. She had barely put on weight during the pregnancy, just enough to accentuate her curves even more beautifully and the lovely red of the saree dragged Yash's eyes to her stunning figure.

Speechless, nearly breathless, Yash walked to her, unable to take his eyes off her. She was struggling to clasp her necklace.

She was already late and now this necklace wouldn't even close!! Arti was gritting her teeth in irritation when suddenly she felt Yash's fingers on her neck. He took the necklace from her and closed the clasp.

Slowly he turned her around to face him.

She could feel his eyes roam over her body, taking in every detail, putting every inch of her on fire.

Her ears were bare! Where were her ear-rings? Tearing his eyes from her face he searched her dresser till his eyes found her matching ear-rings. He showed them to her, silently asking her permission. At her brief nod, he put the ear-rings on her, his fingers delicately brushing her ears, first the right, then the left, leaving her breathless this time.

What was he doing to her? Arti thought as she closed her eyes, savoring his touch. He traced her arms, running his fingers down the center of each arm till he reached her bare wrists.

Yash picked up the bangles and placed them lovingly on her wrists. Her arms were now covered in bangles, the mehendi from karva-chauth still showing through, even after nearly two weeks.

He lifted her arms, crossing them over one on top of the other and peered through the gap at her. She remembered the last time he had made her wear bangles – in Mumbai. She had been peering at him then... She gasped softly as he winked.

Smiling slightly as he heard her gasp Yash put on the bindi for her. He took a long look at his bedecked wife and then turned her to face the mirror.

Arti drank in the sight – Yash was right behind her, holding her by the shoulders, gazing at her reflection. What was that she saw in his eyes? Was it...could it be ...was it really longing? Could he really be falling in love with her? Or was it just wishful thinking on her part?

Barely removing his eyes from her, Yash reached out for the kajal. Taking a small portion on his fingertip, he turned her to face him and placed the kajal in her hairline. "Kisiki nazar na lage...meri bhi nahin" he said softly.

His words brought a tear to her eye. And what he did next left her standing still as a statue.

Yash cupped her face in his palms. Bending slightly, he kissed her forehead, and then dipped his head further to drop a light kiss on her cheek.

Immediately her face flamed. She could feel her cheeks turning red. She closed her eyes as the tear rolled down one cheek.

"Bhabhi, Bhaiyya!!" Pratik called, rapping their door loudly. "Are you ready?"

The sound broke their trance. Yash took one last look at his wife, tracing her face with his fingers and then turned towards the door "We are coming Chote" he called back.

"Chalein Artiji?" he asked softly, turning back to her, holding out his hand for hers.

Placing her hand in his, Arti smiled tremulously, "Chaliye Yashji."

kdsubs thumbnail

Part 2

"Where are we going Artiji?" Yash asked. They had been driving for nearly 20 minutes now. Yash had been surprised to see the driver in their car, but Arti had insisted. He still had no idea where they were going, and this was definitely not the way to the temple they usually went to.

The children giggled at his words. Palak piped up, "It's a surprise Papa. You will see."

Arti just smiled at him and then turned to look at the children who were now laughing openly, their excitement bubbling over.

The cars finally stopped at a set of gates and Yash was stunned as he got out of the car. Deepalaya Orphanage!! This was the orphanage Arpita had adopted - she used to distribute gifts to the children of this orphanage at Palak and Payal's birthdays. And Arti had continued that tradition. What were they doing here now?

He turned to see his father and mother alighting. His mother had a broad smile on her face as his father came up to him, placing his hands around his shoulders.

"Suraj Pratapji! Gayatriji! Namaste - Shubh Deepavali! Please - come in, come in all of you", said the manager of the orphanage as she came to the gate herself.

"Vanitaji - Namaste! Aapko bhi Deepavali ki shubh kaamnayein", Suraj Pratap replied, on behalf of the family.

A bemused Yash followed everyone in. As the others walked past him, he reached out and grabbed Arti's arm. "What are we doing here?" he asked, still surprised, still unsure what was in store. The rest of the family seemed to know what they were doing - so this was a surprise for him. Had to be Artiji's idea!

"Sshhh...let's go inside. We don't want to hold everyone up" Arti replied, not answering his question.

The children ran inside. Yash stopped at the door - the rangoli at the entrance was magnificent. His father commented the same.

Vanitaji smiled, "Yes, your bahus are very talented Suraj Pratapji. They helped the children here make this gorgeous rangoli yesterday. And the children have been very careful the whole day today, not letting anyone step on it or disfigure it. They even touched up a few places themselves" she said, her pride in her children sparkling forth.

It was nearly dusk; the evening was turning into night as the whole family dispersed throughout the building. Yash was standing in the entry foyer, feeling a bit lost when Arti came back and took him by his hand. As if it was a signal, the whole building seemed to light up that instant.

All the children, including Ansh, Palak and Payal, came out of different rooms, carrying lit candles and diyas, followed by the adults. Gayatri came up to the rangoli and placed a big beautifully painted diya in the middle. Yash knew Arti had painted that one - he had seen her work on it. The children placed the lit diyas and candles outside the front door, lining up the entry-way with a soft, yet bright glow.

Vanitaji ushered the children into the dining hall. "Dinner time" she explained. "Will you join us?"

Suraj Pratap nodded, "It will be an honor for us".

As his parents sat, Pratik pulled Yash to the kitchen. "Bhaiyya, help serve the food please." Yash joined in gladly, observing Arti out of the corner of his eyes. She did not carry anything in her condition, but helped serve food to each child, stopping to talk with every one of them. The children all smiled at her, replying, responding, laughing. Some of the younger children gave her a quick hug as she spoke to them while serving.

She had spent time here, Yash realized. She knew each child, and they all knew her. A sob caught at his throat - Artiji was an orphan herself! Had she grown up at an orphanage too? She seemed to understand these children so well, relate to them... they all loved her, he could see that. He berated himself mentally - he didn't even know about her childhood. Had she grown up like these children, spending each Diwali without lights?

His heart broke for the little orphan girl who had grown up to be this beautiful, amazing, strong, loving woman - his wife, the mother of his children...his life...and yes...his love.

Yash finally let the realization seep in...he finally acknowledged the truth to himself. Yes! He loved Arti. He loved his Artiji, his wife, his soul mate. Tonight...the light from the Diwali lamps lit the corner of his heart that he had been hiding, even from himself - yes, he loved her. He loved her!!

Dinner over, the children ran out as the adults who had served the food grabbed a quick bite to eat. He could see his brothers in a whispered conversation...was something else planned too? Let it be...he would find out soon enough. For now, he just wanted to relish the feeling of sitting beside his wife, eating together, stealing glances at her.

As Yash and Arti left the dining hall with the others, Ansh, Palak and Payal came running up. Grabbing their parents, they said "Come quickly...hurry".

Pulling their parents the children rushed them all outside. Yash stopped abruptly at the sight that met their eyes. Boxes of fireworks!

Annoyance crept in and he turned to Arti "Artiji! I thought I had told you - no fire-crackers."

"I know Yashji. There are no fire-crackers here. But yes, the children will have fire-works. They will have bright lights and colours turning the dark night into day for them this Diwali."

Taking his hand, she turned him towards the children of the orphanage. "Look at them Yashji. Look at the anticipation on their faces. They have never experienced Diwali - this is their first. And it will be the first of many Diwalis. Some of them have never seen fire-works; most of them have never lit an anar themselves. They have never experienced the joy of seeing a light shooting into the sky, bursting into thousands of coloured sparkles against the night sky."

As she spoke, his father and some of the children lit the first fire-works. The sheer delight on the children's' faces, their rapt attention followed by shrieks of laughter and claps stopped him from mouthing the objections he still had. He turned to look at his own children - the three were jumping up and down, waiting their turn to light the fire-works. He couldn't stop them - he knew that.

Suddenly he felt a tug at his hand. He looked down to see this small girl, not even Payal's age pulling at his fingers. He knelt down and held her by the shoulders "What is it beta?"

"Uncle, can you lif...lift me up please?" she lisped. "I can't see the lights".

He lifted her onto his shoulders. She clapped as the night sky burst into colour.

"Do you want to light one?" the words slipped out of his mouth. He was as startled by his words as Arti, who was standing next to him.

"Yes!!" the small girl clapped.

Yash put her down. He knelt down and holding her hand, asked her, "What's your name, beta?"

"Arti" she replied and his breath caught. Looking up at his wife, he said "Her name is Arti too".

The child nodded, "I know. She's my favourite. I am going to grow up to be just like her."

Smiling at the child, Yash picked her up as he walked towards the fire-works "You couldn't do better than her. She's my favourite too - our secret."

The little Arti giggled as she kissed his cheek, "Our secret."

roserosey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
😊hey i already read this in ur fictions
i loved this
i wish u could continue this os if u r interested

anyways awesome story
Alamelu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
That was so beautiful.  I am so glad you touched upon arti's childhood being an orphan.  That is one thing I felt really bad in the show - I really wanted yash to talk to arti about her childhood and how it was for her...anyway thanks a lot
Sharlene1410 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
loved it the frist time I read it ,love it even more the second time
--Iqra-- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Oh..this was lovely!! I owe you am apology for not commenting on DJH yet... :( Time just slips by... this was absolutely magnificent! One of the most well written pieces I have come across, it leaves you with a feeling of serenity. It has a special calming factor. Excellent! The end is so symbolic! Wonderful Work!! 😳
anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
That was very touching Kat!!

Thank you!
Surish thumbnail
saf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Aww this was so beautiful Kat. Loved that you touched on Aarti's childhood. Fab job as always.