Asian Shows

K dramas I wish I'd never watched

DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion. You don't have to agree and you REALLY DON'T have to hate. This is simply to save some of you time and effort investing in a drama that (if you think like me, will never finish).

1. Fashion King: You will love the beginning, you will be pulling your hair out by the mind and you would be cussing, dialing up the director and break your TV screen by the time you have watched the finale. The heartache and the TERRIBLE acting is so not worth your precious times. I suggest you go for something else. I felt robbed of time completing all the episodes. Wish I had learned my lesson earlier.

2. My name is Kim San Soon: I watched this drama in the wrong decade. It is not the drama's fault. Well, I can't say for sure since I didn't get that far in to the show before logging off vowing never to return back. And, the worst part is, the actors I love Hyun Bin is a charmer and Kim Sun-ah is a joy. I will just assume that was not their prime and move on. Mind you,  the drama did win many awards. It was just not good enough for a drama in this decade. The 2000s (when it aired) was probably the only right time to watch it. Skip it if you have watched tons of K dramas cause you will find NOTHING original. 

3. I miss you: The leads are my favourite actors, hands down. But the script was so bad even they could not save it. Looked like a soap opera writer was way too high on sugar so he put gore, death, sadness, heartache and every evil in the world in one show. I couldn't get past the first few episodes. Such a waste of good talent.

4. The Innocent Man/ Nice Guy: This is a melodrama and I can rarely stand a melodrama. A lot of people have liked and/or loved the drama. I was just sick of the clinginess of the female lead, the aloofness of the male lead, the interference of the other female (who we know is never going to get the man). Some sort of love triangle or square in episodes 1-4. I just gave up at that point.

5. When a Man Loves: They should have renamed this drama to "when a man is oblivious" cause the man has zero idea what people are doing to him and the man's woman is the same actress from Fashion King. She only has two default expression that can easily be mistaken for the same. I don't know what is up with her facial muscles that restricts her acting but it is visibly bad. The main actor is usually good but loses his charm in a mess of a script. Is he meant to play a sugar daddy? I am not sure. If yes then, he is doing a terrible job at it. The acting is watchable; the script butchers the show.

6. Glory Jane: Ever wanted to watch a poor guy poor girl story where the guy is kind of the Cinderella (with the evil step sibling part) but not really (no money part)? Now is your chance. A terrible, horrible execution of what could have been a decent drama. Park Min-young, what were you thinking when you signed on to this project. No one, not even Min-young could save this sinking ship. It was way too sad and I didn't even get the least bit upset cause I didn't care. For all I know, someone could have died during the time I was asleep through this drama.

7. Dr. Jin: Wonderful drama. I loved the medical history part. But, it was a stretch. Not that the story needed it but unnecessary drag cause the channel realized they were getting good ratings and they extended the story for way too long. I lost my interest and still don't know if the couple met at the end. I doubt it. If someone knows, please tell me. Yeah, the length and the repetitive dangers Dr. Jin found himself in mixed with a LOT of confusion (I am not a champ at period dramas), it was a recipe for disaster.

8. Hana Kimi K version/ To the Beautiful You: I grew up, okay? But seriously, even with the cheeky gender bender concept, I could rewatch Coffee Prince and love it any day of the year. This drama is just not cutting it. Way too sappy. The girl is so clingy, I want to cringe any time she is on screen. The guy can't make up his mind: does he like the girl or does he want his career or the other girl as a gift from daddy. Even his "care" for her looks forced. I finished the drama just shy of one episode ( I skipped one cause the story was tortoise paced) and I am not sure why I didn't give up. Good cinematography? Or, the HD quality on viki? It was a terrible drama and even teenage hormones will see how much sense the story (or the lack thereof) doesn't make. EASY SKIP.

9. Padam Padam: There was a story, a solid one. Some eye candy but next to nothing for the background music. Or, something about the way it was filmed. I remember not liking the drama but I don't remember the reasons. Maybe I will give it another chance some day (far, far away in the future) but the first watch was not a good experience.

See you soon with more... 
Edited by DonnaHarvey - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kshows_fangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I agree with all your choices except My name is Kim Sam Soon. I really loved that drama. Don't know why, I thought I would hate it, as some of my friends told me not to watch it. But, I still did. Thank God for that! πŸ˜†...It is rare to see a drama like this anymore. The characters were very real. And, the lead actress did an excellent job. I was able to relate to her character more than any other lead actress characters I have watched in K dramas. And, I will be honest with you, it took me some time to accept them as a jodi. But, heck they just grew on me. And, then I couldn't stop watching. It was one of those dramas that was very real. 

I agree with all the others on the list! I had such high hopes from When the Man Loves, but I was so disappointed especially for the lead actor to see his talent go waste like this! And, the less I talk about the actress the better!!! I believe if they had chosen any other actress who would act a lot better than her, I would have still watched it! But, sheesh she is kind the worst actress I have seen in a K drama. I didn't like her in Fashion King, nor did I like her here! 

Haha as you said the name of the drama should have been When the man is oblivious!!πŸ˜†...It is really poorly written. I can't believe that the lead actor would choose a script like this! I had high hopes from him before this show especially after I liked My Princess so much, but really he could have chosen another show! Any show would be much better than this..

A great list! Thanks for making this list!
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Originally posted by: nikita59

I agree with all your choices except My name is Kim Sam Soon. I really loved that drama. Don't know why, I thought I would hate it, as some of my friends told me not to watch it. But, I still did. Thank God for that! πŸ˜†...It is rare to see a drama like this anymore. The characters were very real. And, the lead actress did an excellent job. I was able to relate to her character more than any other lead actress characters I have watched in K dramas. And, I will be honest with you, it took me some time to accept them as a jodi. But, heck they just grew on me. And, then I couldn't stop watching. It was one of those dramas that was very real. 

It is one of those dramas that I cannot honestly critique because I didn't give it a fair chance. It just that the cliches in the beginning were too much and so I gave up before the story really picked pace. People must have saw something when it aired since it was so popular. Right for its time I suppose but not in this day and age.
A great list! Thanks for making this list!

you are very welcome. feel free to add some more if you have anything in mind.
thanks donna for telling ur opinion..but as u know am new to K so, i can't  put even 2 cents to it..πŸ˜†
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Originally posted by: riva2987

thanks donna for telling ur opinion..but as u know am new to K so, i can't  put even 2 cents to it..πŸ˜†

you'll be a pro in no time. hang in thereπŸ˜‰
sweetsorrow18 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Haha!! It's funny cause I actually haven't watched some of the ones you named - and there's probably good reason why! lol

I'm the type to drop a drama REALLY fast if it doesn't hold my interest, so I really don't make it through bad ones, but def get some sour grapes in the bunch...

I will agree with "When a Man Loves" - totally annoying, and the female lead just gets on my nerves, dropped that one pretty fast
"Nice Guy" - was okay, again, I wasn't fully invested in it

I really liked "My Name is Kim Sam Soon"  but I wasn't one of the ones who absolutely LOVED it (there were a bunch of those at one point)

Here's my quick list...

- Queen In-Hyun's Man: I'm probably the only one on the planet who did not enjoy this one. Something about it just bored me to death. Maybe it was all the hype, I dunno.

-Lie to Me: this one had so much potential and turned out to be such a dud...I hate seeing Yoon Eun Hye in such terrible roles

-Faith: Again, Lee Min Ho wasted. Story just dragged on for way too long

- This Winter, the Wind Blows: just too much melo going on..I couldn't stand all the blandness - but it was beautiful to look at

- Playful Kiss: this one was just annoying, mainly cause of the male lead, he should stick to singing. 

- Will it Snow for Christmas?: I watched it cause I love Go Soo and I think he's amazing and fantastic, but this story was just sooo slow and depressing

kshows_fangirl thumbnail
Originally posted by: sweetsorrow18

Haha!! It's funny cause I actually haven't watched some of the ones you named - and there's probably good reason why! lol

I'm the type to drop a drama REALLY fast if it doesn't hold my interest, so I really don't make it through bad ones, but def get some sour grapes in the bunch...

I will agree with "When a Man Loves" - totally annoying, and the female lead just gets on my nerves, dropped that one pretty fast
"Nice Guy" - was okay, again, I wasn't fully invested in it

I really liked "My Name is Kim Sam Soon"  but I wasn't one of the ones who absolutely LOVED it (there were a bunch of those at one point)

Here's my quick list...

- Queen In-Hyun's Man: I'm probably the only one on the planet who did not enjoy this one. Something about it just bored me to death. Maybe it was all the hype, I dunno.

-Lie to Me: this one had so much potential and turned out to be such a dud...I hate seeing Yoon Eun Hye in such terrible roles

-Faith: Again, Lee Min Ho wasted. Story just dragged on for way too long

- This Winter, the Wind Blows: just too much melo going on..I couldn't stand all the blandness - but it was beautiful to look at

- Playful Kiss: this one was just annoying, mainly cause of the male lead, he should stick to singing. 

- Will it Snow for Christmas?: I watched it cause I love Go Soo and I think he's amazing and fantastic, but this story was just sooo slow and depressing

Totally forgot about Faith!! Yup, that is also the one I didn't like much. I did watch till the end, but then regretted wasting my time..Just watched it for LMH! πŸ˜†...

Okay, count me in for Queen In-Hyun's Man: I didn't like it at all. As, you said my freinds forced me to watch this one, but I didn't see what the hype was all about. Or maybe I am the one that is simply stupid...πŸ˜†...Haha, yeah I watched like 2 episodes and gave up! I didn't have much interest in it! I don't know I was just bored watching this drama..:(

Okay, The Winter that Wind Blows: I loved it!! Haha, maybe I am in the minority. But, Kim Bum made me watch it...πŸ˜†..He was kinda funny in the drama. I guess his character was the only one that made the show light hearted! But, I really enjoyed this drama from the start to the end..:)

Playful Kiss: The lead actor was a jerk in this drama!! There is no other way to describe his character! The character that Kim played simply pissed me off!! But, I watch it for the lead actress, she was so naive and innocent! :)

Lie to Me: This show rocked for me!! I have watched this show like 5 times and I still love it! Maybe I am in the minority again...πŸ˜†...But, I seriously loved this show. I had heard bad reviews about it, but I actually really enjoyed this show. The chemistry was off the charts! And, simply put I loved it!!

arjun.arohi4eva thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The only one that I watched from the ones you named is Nice Guy, but I did like it. And Hana Kimi I only watched the Jap. version so not sure how different the Korean version is from that

My list is:

Personal Taste:
I only started watching this because LMH was in it and I stopped after maybe epi 5 or 6, don't exactly remember. I usually stop watching dramas pretty fast if I don't like them or if I'm not invested in them. I just didn't really like the drama 

Lie to Me:
I started off liking it in the beginning however after about half way through the show i started skipping through parts just wanting it to end. 

Playful Kiss:
To me this has to be one of the most annoying k-dramas that I've watched and I know a lot of people enjoyed it but I didn't. The main guy was a jerk and I couldn't understand why the main girl still liked him, which is why i started finding her annoying as well ( a lot of the time i was like why can't she have more pride and stop chasing after him)

I would add BOF to the list b/c i couldn't stand Jan Di but i did like the drama because of soeulmates, so i wont add it to the list.
Edited by arjun.arohi4eva - 10 years ago
kshows_fangirl thumbnail
I agree with the above person! I loved Hana Kimi Japanese version!! It was amazing!! And, I have really bad crush on the lead actor in the Japanese version! He is one great talented actor! To Donna, since you didn't like the K version, I would recommend you to watch the Japanese version. I have loved all his shows (the lead actor). I think there is also his show called the Rich Man and Poor Woman!! That is a must watch for everyone!! I learnt a lot about business and life from that show! 

Yeah, Playful Kiss was annoying as hell! πŸ˜†..I just watched it for the eye candy, just like I watched BOF for that matter!!
Edited by nikita59 - 10 years ago
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
I ain't even going to hide it. I love Lee Min Ho. Virtually married to him in my head. So, endured every drama, no matter how bad. 
When I watched Personal Preference and Boys Over Flowers, I was around sixteen. Oh that sweet and tender age, I watched the hell out of those two dramas.
By the time Faith came around, I would simply skip to the part where Lee Min Ho was on screen. 
I genuinely disliked Faith. But, BOF and PF I liked at the time. Like the Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, sometimes watching the same thing years after ruins the magic. I would like not to destroy this divine image I have of those two dramas.
As far as Playful Kiss goes, the storyline was terrible. I simply cannot get over the fact that the lead actor was a snob and still had the girl (not mature enough to be called a woman) drooling all over him. But, I did like the youtube series that went along with the drama.