Debate Mansion

Nudity/exposing = Modernizing/ enjoying freedom?? (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 12

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 12 June 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Originally posted by Rehanism

One more thing that I would like to say about is the "seeking attention" part. Even if someone dresses up in a particular way to seek attention, I don't thing there's any harm in that...Even I buy expensive clothes, beef up muscles and leave two buttons open to seek attention - never thought I was committing  crime. Its but a normal and natural evolutionary instinct to seek attention/admiration of the opposite sex, or even same sex. Why is 'seeking attention' something obnoxious or something to be stopped by moral policing is something beyond me...Sexual attraction is a natural thing for both the sexes and only societies that see sex with disgust and contempt, something to be feared and avoided, try to enforce dress codes, sexually repress women and practice s**t shaming.

True to some extend, but there is a reason why certain people dress in certain way. It has a lot to do with culture, society, and religion. Would you go against everything to dress in a certain way to attract attention?

I, personally don't give any priority to either of the three...Most of the time I am at odds with culture, society and religion.

Actually I don't know how to answer your question, because it seems you have taken 'seeking attention' as a very serious thing. My point was simply that people often say "Why would you wear short dresses unless you want attention"..Well so what? Is wanting attention something bad? Its a perfectly normal thing to desire attention..There is this puritanical worldview that the purpose of clothes is to guard ones 'modesty' and 'chastity' which is a very ridiculous thing to say.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Nudity/exposing = Modernizing/ enjoying freedom?? (Page 8)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 12 June 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged

One more thing that I would like to say about is the "seeking attention" part. Even if someone dresses up in a particular way to seek attention, I don't thing there's any harm in that...Even I buy expensive clothes, beef up muscles and leave two buttons open to seek attention - never thought I was committing  crime. Its but a normal and natural evolutionary instinct to seek attention/admiration of the opposite sex, or even same sex. Why is 'seeking attention' something obnoxious or something to be stopped by moral policing is something beyond me...Sexual attraction is a natural thing for both the sexes and only societies that see sex with disgust and contempt, something to be feared and avoided, try to enforce dress codes, sexually repress women and practice s**t shaming.

True to some extend, but there is a reason why certain people dress in certain way. It has a lot to do with culture, society, and religion. Would you go against everything to dress in a certain way to attract attention?

I, personally don't give any priority to either of the three...Most of the time I am at odds with culture, society and religion.

Actually I don't know how to answer your question, because it seems you have taken 'seeking attention' as a very serious thing. My point was simply that people often say "Why would you wear short dresses unless you want attention"..Well so what? Is wanting attention something bad? Its a perfectly normal thing to desire attention..There is this puritanical worldview that the purpose of clothes is to guard ones 'modesty' and 'chastity' which is a very ridiculous thing to say.

If that is not the reason why people wear clothes, then what is?
Why do you wear clothes?

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 12 June 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged

If that is not the reason why people wear clothes, then what is?
Why do you wear clothes?

First of all, I find the whole concept of modesty and chastity as very sexist. These notions are product of the taboo puritans have placed on human sexuality. I associate modesty with humility and kindness of a person towards others and not a uniform dress code mandated by any social or religious institution. Yes, of course there's a concept of shame associated with body, but that is not again a homogeneous feeling. As I had said earlier different people have different levels of comfort. You can't draw a single model that can be applied to all. Perceptions, feelings, tastes, preferences etc cannot be reduced to binary forms. There is no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' here.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-

ChhanChhan

ChhanChhan

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 6:28am | IP Logged
normally a girl tends to wear exposed dress due to the latest movies and fashion shows which actually make that girl think... if they can do then y not me???? espicially if that girl has a perfect body shape!!! secondly her friends...!! they play a major role in this...influence by the friends can also make a girl wear all this kinda stuffs...!!!! nowadays people think (very bad mentality) that if a girl does not wear THE SO CALLED MODERN (exposed clothes) she is an OLDYY... OR A PAKKA 1960's ka women...!!!! which actually makes a person dull and have second thoughts about her attire...!!!

Zairean

IF-Dazzler

Zairean

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ChhanChhan

normally a girl tends to wear exposed dress due to the latest movies and fashion shows which actually make that girl think... if they can do then y not me???? espicially if that girl has a perfect body shape!!! secondly her friends...!! they play a major role in this...influence by the friends can also make a girl wear all this kinda stuffs...!!!! nowadays people think (very bad mentality) that if a girl does not wear THE SO CALLED MODERN (exposed clothes) she is an OLDYY... OR A PAKKA 1960's ka women...!!!! which actually makes a person dull and have second thoughts about her attire...!!!

@Blue Bold- So does that mean movies and fashion shows inspire girls to wear modern clothes or exposed dress as you say. Doesn't a girl have her own sense of dress, the freedom to dress how she wants. Is it that  particular that you wear those clothes only when you see celebrities sporting them? So why not everyone follow whatever the movies show us. Hero kills thousand guys with a single hand, does it not give idea to boys of today's generation to do the same. if yes, then why don't I see any of them doing that...? You're making it sound as if girls should need some sort of consultancy before they wear modern clothes, they are stereotyped to wear salwar and clad saree all their life. 

@Bold Red-Man, you amaze me. So it's the friends who influence to wear modern clothes? LOL Couldn't girls have their choice? What's wrong if they prefer some revealing clothes over some traditional ones? They might want to wear something different or they feel comfortable in those outfits. You're making it sound as if wearing modern clothes is a crime? or it's against some culture. I wouldn't agree to it, until you show me any law or book that says so. 

@Bold Violet- When you can resort to people wearing modern clothes as "exposing", then why can't the same person call you "Oldyy" when you wear some traditional clothes? Clothing is one's choice, making it ones moral forte to call other people "bad", "vulgar" based on their clothing is barbaric. 

Having said that I want to hear, why is modern clothing considered to "exposing"? Who are we to comment on ones clothing..?

Rehanism

OyeChupKar

Goldie

OyeChupKar

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged
This post in not about whether what is right or wrong
Its about how does a hijabi or someone who prefers herself covered become less modern?
Being modern= New and better perspective of life or exposing your skin?

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ITrustMyHeart

Originally posted by ChhanChhan

@Blue Bold- So does that mean movies and fashion shows inspire girls to wear modern clothes or exposed dress as you say. Doesn't a girl have her own sense of dress, the freedom to dress how she wants. Is it that  particular that you wear those clothes only when you see celebrities sporting them? So why not everyone follow whatever the movies show us. Hero kills thousand guys with a single hand, does it not give idea to boys of today's generation to do the same. if yes, then why don't I see any of them doing that...? You're making it sound as if girls should need some sort of consultancy before they wear modern clothes, they are stereotyped to wear salwar and clad saree all their life. 

@Bold Red-Man, you amaze me. So it's the friends who influence to wear modern clothes? LOL Couldn't girls have their choice? What's wrong if they prefer some revealing clothes over some traditional ones? They might want to wear something different or they feel comfortable in those outfits. You're making it sound as if wearing modern clothes is a crime? or it's against some culture. I wouldn't agree to it, until you show me any law or book that says so. 

@Bold Violet- When you can resort to people wearing modern clothes as "exposing", then why can't the same person call you "Oldyy" when you wear some traditional clothes? Clothing is one's choice, making it ones moral forte to call other people "bad", "vulgar" based on their clothing is barbaric. 

Having said that I want to hear, why is modern clothing considered to "exposing"? Who are we to comment on ones clothing..?

I think ChhanChhan and hit_homerun is the same person Tongue MID's much? LOL

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ChocoBoyBarun..

This post in not about whether what is right or wrong
Its about how does a hijabi or someone who prefers herself covered become less modern?
Being modern= New and better perspective of life or exposing your skin?

I think people are taking a few things they've heard and generalizing that all people equate being modern to exposed skin. Most people don't look at how covered you are, but rather how appropriate you look for the given situation. If you go into a board meeting wearing a strapless mini, you'll get looks. 

As far as the original post saying that people call those who coverup Stone Aged, again a generalization. But going off of personal experience and what I've seen in this thread, if people supporting covering up are called stone aged or narrow minded, it's because of the reasoning/opinions most use...that amount of clothing determines morality, ethics, decency, chances getting molested etc etc. These are petty and baseless arguments based on old age, regressive thinking that really needs to be let go. And are the only arguments I've seen from "covering" proponents in this thread. 

So no, it's not that less clothing is modern..it's more that people who would support a person's choice to wear revealing clothing generally use more progressive reasoning as their basis and not some ideals passed on from generations ago.  In the end, who are we set the bar of morality for others, if such a thing exists? 

Edited by McNinja - 13 June 2013 at 10:57am

Rehanism

Post Reply New Post

Go to top