Book Talk

India-Forums

Book Discussion : The Immortals Of Meluha

-Dee- IF-Dazzler
-Dee-
-Dee-

Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged

THE IMMORTALS OF MELUHA

The book is based on the Shiva mythology, which I think most of us have read. I'm still reading the first book, which I think I shall finish tomorrow. I'm intrigued by the Meluhans and their near perfect society as much as Lord Shiva is. The char varnas seem much more fair there and I like a society guided by laws and laws alone. However, it is almost ironic how people are superstitious and easily look up to the "NeelKantha" forgoing all that has been preached by Lord Rama *Jai Shri Ram!* I also find a reflection of the actual India in the rule of Vikarmas. And another piece of bias when Shiva outrightly scraps the law. I concede and with full force that it was an irrational law - why should a majority suffer because some ill-fated people can rebel!
I'd love to discuss the intricacies of the tale and myth. Anyone up to do it in good spirit. Not one word or useless spams. :-)

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

LoveToLaugh-Aarya-SnowGirl18harianjanaApoorvaFan...Doctor...

LoveToLaugh Senior Member
LoveToLaugh
LoveToLaugh

BollyCurry Production Intern

Posted: 28 May 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged

Yay! You made this thread! Hug

This book was gifted to me by a relative and initially, I was really apprehensive about reading it. I don't know but the synopsis just didn't give me that positive vibe. But then, of course, I gave it a shot and ended up enjoying it a lot!

My knowledge of Shivpurana is very limited but if it's anything to go by that Mahadev show on LifeOK, this book is a very different and interesting take on the character of Shiva. He is not devon ke dev here, he is not out-and-out positive, he is NOT God but a tribal man, a man who is as flawed as any other ordinary man, caught in a legend which is both fascinating and unbelievable at once.

Like you, I was completely in awe of Meluha and its near-perfect society. The loyalty of the Meluhans towards the laws of the state, their unfailing honesty, the impeccable sanitary systems (which was a little hard for me to digest, really. But as Amish points out, the Indus Valley Civilization during which period this tale is based was known for its advanced sanitary and hygiene systems) and the fair ways of living made for a truly ideal society. Of course, it can have its own repercussions because such a society is resistant to change where change is must.

This brings me to your point about Shiva scrapping the Vikarma law, which you call bias. The law was absolutely absurd. The entire concept of past life sins was downright ridiculous. I do get that it was created to create a facade of a peaceful society of people who would have nothing and no-one to blame for their ill luck other than their own sins in their past lives but it was just wrong! And rather unfair to those who wanted to have a better shot at their lives and couldn't because of the law. I mean, how do you justify the treatment meted out to the Vikarmas and something as wrong as a shudhikaran? Hence, I am far from blaming Shiva for scrapping the law. It probably stemmed from his bias towards Sati but in the end, it was for the benefit of everyone. The blind faith of the Meluhans towards their Neelkanth could be argued, yes. In fact, their sheer belief in the legend was quite comic and ridiculous. Only Parvateshwar showed some sense by refusing to believe in the legend. And it only raises Shiva's character in the eyes of the viewer that he is able to win his esteem in the end. It is because of the person he is, his courage, his skills, his fierce independence of spirit and his really clear heart that raises him in Parvateshwar's eyes.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the whole dilemma over good v/s evil and Shiva's dilemma over his being the Mahadev. I won't say it is subtly done for it was quite evident that the Chandravanshis could not be all evil and the Suryavanshis could not be all perfect and that the war was pointless, but it made sense. Shiva was thrust with this huge responsibility of destroying evil from the moment his throat turned blue. The hugeness of it was enough to cloud his own judgement of the situation. And like the temple pundit said in the end, he had to begin from one side.

What is jarring in the book is probably the language. Apart from the fact that I am not fond of the usage of slang in a work of literature, some of the words just don't fit in considering the time period in which the tale is based. Words like "shit", "crap" are just distracting. I know Shiva was meant to be this rough, untamed character but this was a poor way of depicting it. I am ready to bet that Amish made the use of slang to appeal to a wider audience and this was, if not completely, then partly a commercial tactic. In any case, I found myself majorly distracted!

Anyhow, I'd love to read your response. And that of others as well. :-)

P.S. Did you know there's going to be a movie based on this book directed by Karan Johar?
*SHUDDERS AT THE VERY THOUGHT*

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 29 May 2013 at 12:39am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

cs-07-Dee-

-Dee- IF-Dazzler
-Dee-
-Dee-

Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:28am | IP Logged
I have not - never been into Indian mythology or per se any mythology too deep. I know the surface legends and who is who's what - that too seldom, so I almost forced myself to borrow the book and start reading it. That only because of the fame it has garnered! 

Meluha is a near perfect society, which resembles restraint and civilisation. I find Meluha fascinating and restrainable at the same. I'd love to live in such a law-abiding society. There are however, very contradictory issues - like the Maika system. It seems absolutely perfect on the paper. I, however, cannot think how a mother will part from her own blood and flesh. Or may be it's a concept altogether foreign to us. I have always wanted to visit the remains of Harappa and Mohenjodaro in Pakistan *have been termed insane for it* the book has only intensified that desire. 

The Vikarama law was irrational. Its conceptualisation - the way the pandit at Karachappa explained to Shiva looks reasonable but again why should the possibility that some ill-fated people might - might being the operative word, make other suffering from bad fate. A society so strong, developed and civilised should be capable of bearing and overcoming such rebellion without it actually affecting one-twentieth of its population. And one-twentieth might look like a small fraction but that is a lot of people. I thought the way it was scrapped unfair. For all the rules and laws of a land made by Lord Ram, would it not be more erm.. let's say worthy if the vikarma law had been scrapped by a procedure and not by the NeelKanth. May be the whole Meluha - the whole India believes in the legend but it's a bias if his signature can alter the law. 

I think I like the fact that Shiva is described and thought about in the earlier part of the book as a 'Barbarian' and 'Foreigner.' It lends an edge to the book, where the protagonist is not thought by the reader as the God but as a mere man. I adore Shiva's modesty and humility - because he doesn't think himself worthy enough to be called 'Lord' and the way he treats everybody as his friends and not inferiors. I think, Daksha is exasperating to the point of obsequiousness. Had he not been Sati's father, he'd not have any real purpose! :PI agree with your point that the blind faith in the legend is absolutely comical and almost ridiculous and also, Parvateshwar had a lot of sense. If only Brihaspati hadn't died!

I have always said, it is a matter of perspective and opinions because we don't really know what is what. Hence, when I read the good vs evil part today, I was absolutely engrossed to find a reflection there. Though I am so tempted to convert Swadweep into Meluha, it wouldn't be the correct thing. Swadweep for me, strongly resembles the present India. Let us say it is the real world - imperfect to the t.

For me what is jarring is the way, the narrator suddenly starts describing Shiva as the NeelKantha - not in conversations but in the narrative. I find that a loss in the humility of Shiva. I'd still like to think there is a scientific reason for the blue throat and everything is not legend. The legend hasn't made the NeelKantha but Shiva by his character, bad sense of humour, his guilt and sense of responsibility will make the NeelKantha.

I know. *shudders* People! 

Waise, did you know Amish has been advanced a sum of Rs 5 crore for his next book - something which he hasn't even conceptualised? A fact which pushed me into reading the book.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh
LoveToLaugh

Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged

Originally posted by -Dee-

I have not - never been into Indian mythology or per se any mythology too deep. I know the surface legends and who is who's what - that too seldom, so I almost forced myself to borrow the book and start reading it. That only because of the fame it has garnered! 

The fame it has garnered is staggering. I bet even the author could not have predicted this kind of response!

Meluha is a near perfect society, which resembles restraint and civilisation. I find Meluha fascinating and restrainable at the same. I'd love to live in such a law-abiding society. There are however, very contradictory issues - like the Maika system. It seems absolutely perfect on the paper. I, however, cannot think how a mother will part from her own blood and flesh. Or may be it's a concept altogether foreign to us. I have always wanted to visit the remains of Harappa and Mohenjodaro in Pakistan *have been termed insane for it* the book has only intensified that desire. 

I, for one, found the Maika system maha stupid both on paper and in practice. Why there was this insane need to classify people into groups at all (based on merit or otherwise), I don't really understand. And yeah, how should a mother part from her own child? And why? Just because he/she HAS to be classified into some stupid group? I guess you are right. It is a concept altogether foreign to us.

The Vikarama law was irrational. Its conceptualisation - the way the pandit at Karachappa explained to Shiva looks reasonable but again why should the possibility that some ill-fated people might - might being the operative word, make other suffering from bad fate. A society so strong, developed and civilised should be capable of bearing and overcoming such rebellion without it actually affecting one-twentieth of its population. And one-twentieth might look like a small fraction but that is a lot of people. I thought the way it was scrapped unfair. For all the rules and laws of a land made by Lord Ram, would it not be more erm.. let's say worthy if the vikarma law had been scrapped by a procedure and not by the NeelKanth. May be the whole Meluha - the whole India believes in the legend but it's a bias if his signature can alter the law. 

Yeah, that is true. But umm...lets say, had Lord Ram scrapped the law himself? Wouldn't the Meluhans have accepted it? They are so convinced of their own belief in the legend that Shiva becomes this sort of idol for them. Someone who could be placed at the same level as Lord Ram. Hence, his word becomes law. Look, again I think it is a little difficult for us to understand but I think it makes sense considering the way the Meluhans are portrayed. Of course, it would have been a lot more fair had the whole process taken place through a proper procedure but the law makers of Meluha were smart people. Smart enough to know that the whole thing could be completed in a jiffy and without opposition with the Neelkanth's signature, owing to popular belief! I don't like it any more than you do. But like I said, it makes sense.

I think I like the fact that Shiva is described and thought about in the earlier part of the book as a 'Barbarian' and 'Foreigner.' It lends an edge to the book, where the protagonist is not thought by the reader as the God but as a mere man. I adore Shiva's modesty and humility - because he doesn't think himself worthy enough to be called 'Lord' and the way he treats everybody as his friends and not inferiors. I think, Daksha is exasperating to the point of obsequiousness. Had he not been Sati's father, he'd not have any real purpose! :PI agree with your point that the blind faith in the legend is absolutely comical and almost ridiculous and also, Parvateshwar had a lot of sense. If only Brihaspati hadn't died!

Absolutely agree with you on that point. Daksha is SO annoying. And he gets worse. You should read the next instalment!

I have always said, it is a matter of perspective and opinions because we don't really know what is what. Hence, when I read the good vs evil part today, I was absolutely engrossed to find a reflection there. Though I am so tempted to convert Swadweep into Meluha, it wouldn't be the correct thing. Swadweep for me, strongly resembles the present India. Let us say it is the real world - imperfect to the t.

Totally. Swadweep depicts this real world. Imperfect and constantly changing. Swadweepean characters are interesting too. And with all its poverty and a weak king ruling over the citizens, it strongly resembles present day India.

For me what is jarring is the way, the narrator suddenly starts describing Shiva as the NeelKantha - not in conversations but in the narrative. I find that a loss in the humility of Shiva. I'd still like to think there is a scientific reason for the blue throat and everything is not legend. The legend hasn't made the NeelKantha but Shiva by his character, bad sense of humour, his guilt and sense of responsibility will make the NeelKantha.

Yes. It was his guilt and sense of responsibility that made him the Neelkanth. I think some pundit said something like that too, concerning his being the Mahadev.

And true that! That was quite jarring too. Shiva suddenly becomes the Neelkanth in the narrative. Like you said, the legend does not make him the Neelkanth. And his other qualities do not really show up till that point.

There must be some scientific reason for the blue throat. But to be honest, I am not really interested in scientific explanations. I view this completely as a work of fantasy. The blind belief in the legend bugs me but the legend itself doesn't.

I know. *shudders* People! 

Waise, did you know Amish has been advanced a sum of Rs 5 crore for his next book - something which he hasn't even conceptualised? A fact which pushed me into reading the book.

5 crore? No seriously? And for something he hasn't even conceptualised? Shocked
Wow! I'd like to see what he comes up with next! This kind of pressure could be scary. The expectations are high, of course.
This makes me think, the whole IIT/IIM graduate-turned-author formula is almost guaranteed for commercial success! I mean look at Chetan Bhagat, Ravinder Singh and the likes. Dead

On another note, it looks like you and I are the only ones discussing this book. I wish we had more people participating.

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 30 May 2013 at 11:12am

cs-07

LoveToLaugh
LoveToLaugh

Posted: 30 May 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged

Sorry, it got posted twice. Ignore :)

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 30 May 2013 at 11:16am
...Doctor... IF-Sizzlerz
...Doctor...
...Doctor...

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged
D! Never knew about this thread.

I loved this book. Loved. A wonderful book with not-so-perfect characters and not-so-perfect kingdoms. I like the way the author has tried to show that everything looks perfect from the surface but there are problems, wars and unfairness on the other side. The way he creates an air of perfection around Suryavanshis and an odd, evil aura around the Chandravanshis but he still manages to leave you with a feeling of dilemma, a confused state where you're unable to decide which king is good and which is evil. 

In short, it's an adventure ride which leaves you thinking and craving for the next part :)
aishwaryagayen IF-Rockerz
aishwaryagayen
aishwaryagayen

Posted: 11 July 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged
the main thing i loved abt this book was how a god is depicted as a warrior .. and its us who has made him tht god .. he also has his problems .. has his conflicts and he also has his own kingdom which is different from us yet we can see something same reflecting in there too .. thats what caught my attention .. it is not any high figh world class english or writing . but the simplicity catches out attention .. thats how it works 

cs-07

kristenbell62 Newbie
kristenbell62
kristenbell62

Posted: 12 July 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged
Thumbs Up   i have read some part of the book and i really like it...

Go to top