Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Online personality vs Real life personality (Page 2)

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged

Unless one is out to deceive, fabricate or make pretenses I think online personalities are just an extension of real personalities. People don't end up being very different.

Of course due to the difference in medium there are always some differences. Due to a sense of anonymity generally tend to be more upfront, frank and argumentative in the virtual world. People concerned with privacy tend to be more closed and unfriendly compared to the real world. Also due to the lack of emotional expression some people's temperament and emotions can be misunderstood and misread.The lack of facial expression or tone of voice can really impact how a personality is interpreted.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

Pocketbright_star89-victoRiya--Aarya-LeadNitrate-Nakshatra-sensodyneU-No-PoocharminggenieDexterkilailaMallika-E-Bhais

-Aarya- Goldie
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged
I wonder if your online personality effects your real life personality?

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

hotm3ss-victoRiya-Forever-KAMallika-E-Bhais

DonnaHarvey IF-Sizzlerz
DonnaHarvey
DonnaHarvey

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged
I am more comfortable with written communication than verbal. Since most of the online conversations are written, people tend to perceive me differently than in real life. I am a moderate or so I am told by people who have interacted with me in real life. On here and other social media outlets, I come across as anywhere from "a passionate liberal" to "radical" to "disagreeable" and some one who uses big words. I am okay with the titles but I think radical is a bit too much.
I have tried and failed at trying to consciously tone down my opinions. I have made peace with myself.
*sigh*
Ooh I can also be clown, often unknowingly. I like that part very much.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-victoRiya-chacha_chaudhri

zorrro Goldie
zorrro
zorrro

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

If online personality is an extension of real life personality the question is moot.
hotm3ss Goldie
hotm3ss
hotm3ss

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged
Personally speaking, I am more comfortable interacting with people offline than here on this particular forum cuz of past experience where I surrounded myself with toxic people that drilled severe trust issues, and cuz of the discreet ways people adopt to create drama through info exchanges over PMs and other outlets. 

Generally speaking, in a no-holds-barred public forum on the internet with complete anonymity where the worst thing to happen to you is getting your username banned (and even then, you can breed MIDs like rabbits), I think it makes sense to say that people drop their usual inhibitions here. To what extent, that would depend on the individual and their upbringing. When you go online, you're free of all the hangups that come with person-to-person interactions. Some people sound more assertive even on Facebook than in real at times, so it would be safe to assume that it manifests tenfold on IF where no one knows you. Besides, it's a known fact that far too often, people who you talk to online don't meet your expectations that were based on their e-persona. And uncertain rules and little or no restraint only thickens the line between their real and virtual personalities.

Edited by Easy_A - 22 May 2013 at 7:18pm

bluesz-victoRiya-chacha_chaudhriDexterkilaila

hotm3ss Goldie
hotm3ss
hotm3ss

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged

I does cause behavioral changes, makes you more impulsive-driven and unfocused if you're not remarkably adept at compartmentalizing the two.

arcoiris-victoRiya--Aarya-Dexterkilaila

-Aarya- Goldie
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

If online personality is an extension of real life personality the question is moot.

I agree with you because the more you post or share or even trying to hide your personality by some reasons, the better it actually portrays you.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro-victoRiya-

-Aarya- Goldie
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Easy_A

I does cause behavioral changes, makes you more impulsive-driven and unfocused if you're not remarkably adept at compartmentalizing the two.

Can you provide an example...

Go to top