Debate Mansion

The future: What are the limits of evolution? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by enigmatic_zephy

Originally posted by Summer3

I think basically everything that we can imagine about the future has already been covered by the Movies. Still it is not enough.
So keep watching.

he he ya..guess you are right..

I do wonder at times what could be next level for us - humans in terms of evolution...given we are quite smart already! .. Smile.. to me the robotic world seems like a definite thingy... DIGITAL LIFE Big smile .. specially with all the M2M applications and future outlook.
The whole game plan changes when Aliens land on Earth; especially if they are hostile.
like in War of the Worlds:

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

enigmatic_zephy

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The future: What are the limits of evolution? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:46am | IP Logged

Originally posted by King-Anu

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL LMAO

Oh but i so wish, X-Men/ Heroes theory could come true..life would be so awesome!!!!

Aagaah apni maut se koi bashar nahin,
samaan sau baras ka, pal ki khabar nahin.

I am in poetry and philosophical mode today. lol. There is so much that we want and want to know about but each life is nothing over the long history of humans. Each of us can contribute to understanding such type of questions but we will not be able to actually see our prediction come true. However that does not mean we dont contribute and hence my suggestice models. lol

Now superman, batman or hangman cant come to life right now. You have to settle on this for time being

Edited by King-Anu - 21 May 2013 at 7:47am

Summer3

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged
I know this is radical but, it is there and (in isolation) a promising theory.

enigmatic_zephy

enigmatic_zephy

IF-Sizzlerz

enigmatic_zephy

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by DonnaHarvey

Just going by the title, haven't watched the video yet..

That is saying something - humankind has stopped evolving. Are we saying we are the best that can be? LOL.. interesting, thanks for this.. will come back with comments..

DonnaHarvey

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:34am | IP Logged
I think humans will keep evolving such that in future both the males and females may look alike and dress the same too.
Babies would be incubated in hospitals rather than the female body.
Mental faculties will keep developing and humans would have much larger heads.
Physically we would be weaker though.

Edited by Summer3 - 22 May 2013 at 4:41am

Forever-KA

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:36am | IP Logged

Projecting human evolution: 5 traits we might possess in the future
Given the growing evidence that humans are still evolving, it's worth asking: What might we be evolving into?
Wed, May 02 2012 at 6:33 PM

human evolution

Image: Bryan Wright/Flickr

A recent study out of the University of Sheffield has found that humans are still subject to Darwinian selection, in spite of the modern wonders of medicine and technology.

Of course, the idea that humans are still evolving is one that has never been legitimately questioned. In fact, according to an evolutionary principle called the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, evolutionary change is a mathematical necessity so long as at least one of the following influences occur to a genetic population: mutation, non-random mating (including sexual selection), gene flow, genetic drift or natural selection.

The first four of these influences obviously still occur. Now that it has been determined by the Sheffield study that natural selection is also still at play, it's worth wondering: In what ways are humans evolving? What traits might we possess if we projected human evolution into the future?

Though it is technically an evolutionary fallacy to try to predict future evolutionary changes (i.e., evolution does not have a goal; it is impossible to know for certain what selective pressures will be present in the future), we might be able to make some educated guesses about the near future based on current trends.

Humans of the future may lack wisdom teeth
Most people think of their wisdom teeth as a pesky medical annoyance ' those things that must be surgically removed before they start to erupt. The main reason they must be removed is because many modern humans have jaws too small to contain them without disrupting the other teeth. The common postulation is that they are vestigial molars that originally evolved in ancestral humans when our jaws were bigger and our diets included hardier plant material.

So it's not a surprise that wisdom teeth are beginning to disappear. In fact, 35 percent of people are already born without wisdom teeth. Many others are born with just one, two or three wisdom teeth. When a trait is no longer necessary, evolution tends to favor the elimination of that trait to save on the unnecessary energy expenditure it takes to develop it. Thus, humans of the future may lack wisdom teeth entirely.

Race differences may disappear
One of the major driving forces of evolution is gene flow. This occurs whenever there is open mixing of genetic material between populations ' something that happens today at an unprecedented scale. The fact that our world is so global, aided by the ease of modern transportation, means that there are few human populations that remain isolated. Breeding now regularly occurs among people whose ancestors may have originated from opposite corners of the planet.

One result of gene flow is that genetic differences between populations tend to disappear. In other words, racial differences are likely to blend together. Humans of the future may look a lot more alike than they do today.

Humans of the future may have less hair
Humans are already commonly referred to as the hairless ape. Of course, this is a facetious title; like all mammals, humans do have hair. But it's true that we have much less of it than our ape cousins, and likely much less of it than our hominid ancestors did too. In fact, Darwin, in "The Descent of Man," considered body hair to be a vestigial structure in humans.

Clothing, along with modern technology such as air conditioning and heating, has made the insulating properties of body hair obsolete. Although the evolutionary fate of body hair can be particularly difficult to project because it can also act as a signifier for sexual selection (i.e., body hair can be viewed as physically attractive, and thus be perpetuated within a population), it is likely that humans of the future will have much less body hair than they do today.

Humans of the future may be more resistant to diabetes and heart disease
Heart disease and diabetes are some of the leading causes of death in the developed world today, in part because modern diets are high in fats and cheap, empty calories. Therefore, there is currently a sufficient selective pressure in place to make humans of the future better adapted to these diets, and thus more resistant to these diseases.

Dietary adaptations are not uncommon even in recent human evolution. For instance, lactose intolerance has greatly decreased among human populations, such as those in northern Europe, that have traditionally been more dependent on bovine and goat milk.

Humans of the future may be physically weaker and more susceptible to pathogens
As already noted, evolution tends to favor the elimination of traits that are no longer needed. One trait that is a top candidate for elimination is our physical strength. Humans no longer require robust muscles to perform feats of strength. We now have machines, and other tools of our ingenuity, for those tasks. In fact, studies have already shown that we are much weaker compared to our distant ancestors. Future humans may therefore be more petite than we are today. 

For similar reasons, future humans may also have weakened immune systems and be more susceptible to pathogens. Modern medical technology and the discovery of antibiotics have greatly increased our health and life expectancy, but they also mean our immune systems need to do less work to keep us healthy. Biologically speaking, our immune systems are less necessary than they used to be. Therefore, humans of the future may become more dependent on medical technology.

It's an example that goes to show: evolution isn't always progressive. Humans may still be evolving in spite of modern technology, but that evolution may be in a way that makes us ever-more dependent upon it.

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged

Originally posted by DonnaHarvey

Just going by the title, haven't watched the video yet..

That is saying something - humankind has stopped evolving. Are we saying we are the best that can be? LOL.. interesting, thanks for this.. will come back with comments..
I would change it slightly as we see the cumulative effect of gene mutations as well as isolated mutations in vital genes (other things like epigenetic tags) are leading to more and more cancers. Now maybe this pressure has existed for several centuries but undermined by other stronger forces. However, assuming that we get rid of all major pressures, we will be left with tumor mutations to deal with. We may become resistant to radiation and other carcinogens. Or, our genes may become more "permanent". I use this word with caution because I have no idea how imprinting or epigenetics would work in that case. Essentially, all I am trying to say is, our biggest pressure (healthwise) seems to be cancers.
Over population and resulting scarce resources may also drive evolutionary change if we are unable to find replacements.
On a large scale, this physicist's view does hold some truth. Radical thought is probably used because I (like many others in science) have learned no one listens to moderate thinkers.
Going off on a tangent there ...hope I got my point across.

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:26am | IP Logged
Forgot to mention: we have a looming crisis. The current state of antibiotics puts us at high risk for death from pathogens. There are resistant strains of TB, MRCA and countless other pathogens we have no treatment for. The patient with the said infection can only be quarantined and left to pass (ofcourse after failing with all high dose aggressive drugs). This is changing slowly with biochemists everywhere striving to make new drugs but if we do not achieve large scale success fast, this might become a long term evolutionary pressure. I, for one, would not want to live through the 20th century desperation and confusion to find cures.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top