Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged
So Miss Aarya is searching for the truth here. lol.

Well good luck. On issue of wheteher we should tell the truth or not my take is that it depends upon its impact. Some truths are transient and in those scenarios we dont have to tell person that if the impact of telling that truth will be negative. I mean it doenst make sense.

In general we should but if it is going to have a negative impact then we should weigh the need

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Truth? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by King-Anu

Well good luck. On issue of wheteher we should tell the truth or not my take is that it depends upon its impact. Some truths are transient and in those scenarios we dont have to tell person that if the impact of telling that truth will be negative. I mean it doenst make sense.

In general we should but if it is going to have a negative impact then we should weigh the need

Or you can just lie for a good cause :-)

Forever-KA

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Or you can just lie for a good cause :-)

I dont consider not telling the truth as lie.

Edit: by not telling i mean staying quiet. lol. sometime not telling the truth means lying. i didnt mean it in that way.

so yes if a truth is going to hurt someone then we can stay quiet.

Edited by King-Anu - 21 May 2013 at 6:36pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro-Aarya-

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged

To tell you the Truth I do not really know what is the Truth. But it is said that words uttered by a Truthful person has power.

OKay back to the subject. At times we have to tell a white lie I think.

-Aarya-

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged

Originally posted by DonnaHarvey

What is in my best interest? Only I know best.
Should you tell me the truth? That is your call to make.
Is you telling me the truth in my best interest? Your answer will reflect what you believe and not the reality. 
Everyone is slave to perception.
There is no right answer. Nor are your and my perceptions always mutually exclusive. But assuming otherwise is also wrong cause nothing is certain.
To put these confusing words simply, I do not have a definitive answer. Most likely, I will fight you if you tell me and I will find you if you don't. No one will win. That is human nature.

Lets start with defining "what is truth"? And in order to define truth properly, it would have to be based on factually and logically correct statements. So In other words, it would have to be true, not self-contradictory or deception. For example truth is that someone is being deceptive, but the deception itself isn't truth. So when someone is telling you the truth, it should be based on facts and reality.
Alright, that makes sense. I confused myself with the wording of the question.
So, truth is objective. YES. But, I was rather trapped in Einstein's is the tree still there when I turn around puzzle.
I know a truth (factual, real) but I determine my listener's best interest (my perception, beliefs, guesses of an outcome all come together in my decision making). It is better to tell what you know to be real rather than be scared off by what you believe the outcome might be. Ignorance is not always bliss. I cannot think of an example when it was. I would love to hear some though.
All in all, personal interest comes first (calling a spade a spade on this one).

-Aarya-

butterfly15..

Goldie

butterfly15..

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged
I personally prefer the truth no matter how ugly it is.
I don't want to live a lie based on lies, even if it is white lies.

But I think there are people who prefer not to be told the truth.
I was in a situation once where I knew something bad about a friend's partner. I didn't know whether I should tell her about it or not. I asked her if I knew something bad about her partner would she want to know about it. Her answer was that if it was something so bad she would leave him because of it I should tell her, but if it wasn't really bad and I knew she would stay with him regardless of her knowing the truth, then she rather not know the truth. Her point being why suffer over something when she wouldn't act on it, it would just cause her pain. So I didn't tell her the truth.

I don't ever tell lies though, I'm not good at that. But if I knew someone doesn't want to know the truth about something, I wouldn't tell them about it. I'd just hide it.

-Aarya-

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:06am | IP Logged

Originally posted by zorrro

Do people deserve to know the truth, even if it isn't in their best interest, and who determines what is someone's best interest?
Not sure if I understood it correctly. An example may help. Lets say I am besotted with a girl. Taking that as the truth do people deserve to know it ? Confused
Does the girl deserve to know it? Would that be in my interest ? Would that be in her interest?
Who will determine and how?

Let me try to answer -
I dont think people deserve to know it as it does not involve them or do they?
The girl is involved so perhaps she deserves to be told as otherwise she may never learn of it. Woud that be in the boy's interest? Perhaps as he gets it off his chest.
However, if the girl gets ofended and cuts off all ties then it may not be in his best interest Ouch

Woud it be in the girl's best interest?  I havent a clue to that one- duh Confused

So Aarya, I dont think there can be any right answer for the question you asked.

As many have stated here, the real question is "How do you determine that the truth isn't in their best interest?"  And there is no way to determine that unless you tell the truth and let the other person decide for them self.

If you are besotted with a girl and if you don't tell her how would you (or her) ever know the outcome of that truth...

The thing is that you have to be willing walk fine lines and possibilities of truth and the like is up to the action of the other person. Those who walk will be those who venture and it isn't about deserving, but of willing. And the truth will only be thinking based on everything that has been brought up in one's life, call it influence which usually leads to opinion.

@ bold:  So truth is only relative?

-Aarya-

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged

I dont consider not telling the truth as lie.

Edit: by not telling i mean staying quiet. lol. sometime not telling the truth means lying. i didnt mean it in that way.

so yes if a truth is going to hurt someone then we can stay quiet.

I disagree with the Right to Silent, e.g. when one asks another if he has done something wrong and to tell the truth;  what are the responsibilities of the person asked when such questions are put; and what may the questioner assume if no helpful response is forthcoming...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top