Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged
Do people deserve to know the truth, even if it isn't in their best interest, and who determines what is someone's best interest?

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-MitraForever-KAboreddamsel

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Truth?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged
What is in my best interest? Only I know best.
Should you tell me the truth? That is your call to make.
Is you telling me the truth in my best interest? Your answer will reflect what you believe and not the reality. 
Everyone is slave to perception.
There is no right answer. Nor are your and my perceptions always mutually exclusive. But assuming otherwise is also wrong cause nothing is certain.
To put these confusing words simply, I do not have a definitive answer. Most likely, I will fight you if you tell me and I will find you if you don't. No one will win. That is human nature.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Do people deserve to know the truth, even if it isn't in their best interest, and who determines what is someone's best interest?

Is it someone who you care about .. is it important for them to know the truth?
Will you lose sleep if you don't tell them the truth? 
Does your opinion matter to them .. will they believe you if you tell them the truth?
Has their decision affected you in someway .. and you care about the relationship you share with the person?

If its yes to all, then maybe its best you tell them. 

As for the second part, parents think they know what is best for their kids.
Once we grow up, we think we know what's best for us. 
Once we are in a relationship, our better halves think they know what's best for us. 
Once our kids grow up, they think they know what's best for us. 
I don't think anyone will know what's best for them until you do something and realize it was a good or a bad choice... or you know from previous experience that its a good or a bad choice. You might think you know what's best for you, but maybe someone else who has gone through the same situation might know more than you do .. so it never ever hurts to take a second opinion. Most of the times people get mad at you for being honest, only because it has hurt their ego, but once they realize you were right and you have helped them, they will thank you.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

bluesz-Aarya-LeadNitrate

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by DonnaHarvey

What is in my best interest? Only I know best.
Should you tell me the truth? That is your call to make.
Is you telling me the truth in my best interest? Your answer will reflect what you believe and not the reality. 
Everyone is slave to perception.
There is no right answer. Nor are your and my perceptions always mutually exclusive. But assuming otherwise is also wrong cause nothing is certain.
To put these confusing words simply, I do not have a definitive answer. Most likely, I will fight you if you tell me and I will find you if you don't. No one will win. That is human nature.

Lets start with defining "what is truth"? And in order to define truth properly, it would have to be based on factually and logically correct statements. So In other words, it would have to be true, not self-contradictory or deception. For example truth is that someone is being deceptive, but the deception itself isn't truth. So when someone is telling you the truth, it should be based on facts and reality.

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by boreddamsel

Is it someone who you care about .. is it important for them to know the truth?
Will you lose sleep if you don't tell them the truth? 
Does your opinion matter to them .. will they believe you if you tell them the truth?
Has their decision affected you in someway .. and you care about the relationship you share with the person?

If its yes to all, then maybe its best you tell them. 

As for the second part, parents think they know what is best for their kids.
Once we grow up, we think we know what's best for us. 
Once we are in a relationship, our better halves think they know what's best for us. 
Once our kids grow up, they think they know what's best for us. 
I don't think anyone will know what's best for them until you do something and realize it was a good or a bad choice... or you know from previous experience that its a good or a bad choice. You might think you know what's best for you, but maybe someone else who has gone through the same situation might know more than you do .. so it never ever hurts to take a second opinion. Most of the times people get mad at you for being honest, only because it has hurt their ego, but once they realize you were right and you have helped them, they will thank you.

With reference to the bold, your looking out for your best interest and not the other persons...

Let me pose the same question in another way, when telling the truth should you be bother about the other person's best interest at all? Isn't telling the truth looking out for their best interest?

boreddamsel

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:11am | IP Logged

With reference to the bold, your looking out for your best interest and not the other persons...

Let me pose the same question in another way, when telling the truth should you be bother about the other person's best interest at all? Isn't telling the truth looking out for their best interest?

Ok, so you want to tell them something 'coz its in your best interest. 
Well don't bother, unless you think they care about you. Sometimes once you tell them, you realize they don't, in which case its better to not waste your energy next time onwards. But if you realize they do care about you, then its better to tell them the truth every time than keep it from them. 
But then that's me, I believe in being honest with people I care about. 

And to the second part, yes and yes. But I would also be apologetic if I know the truth hurt the other person.

-Aarya-

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged

Not sure if I understood it correctly. An example may help. Lets say I am besotted with a girl. Taking that as the truth do people deserve to know it ? Confused
Does the girl deserve to know it? Would that be in my interest ? Would that be in her interest?
Who will determine and how?

Let me try to answer -
I dont think people deserve to know it as it does not involve them or do they?
The girl is involved so perhaps she deserves to be told as otherwise she may never learn of it. Woud that be in the boy's interest? Perhaps as he gets it off his chest.
However, if the girl gets ofended and cuts off all ties then it may not be in his best interest Ouch

Woud it be in the girl's best interest?  I havent a clue to that one- duh Confused

So Aarya, I dont think there can be any right answer for the question you asked.

-Aarya-

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

Not sure if I understood it correctly. An example may help. Lets say I am besotted with a girl. Taking that as the truth do people deserve to know it ? Confused
Does the girl deserve to know it? Would that be in my interest ? Would that be in her interest?
Who will determine and how?

Let me try to answer -
I dont think people deserve to know it as it does not involve them or do they?
The girl is involved so perhaps she deserves to be told as otherwise she may never learn of it. Woud that be in the boy's interest? Perhaps as he gets it off his chest.
However, if the girl gets ofended and cuts off all ties then it may not be in his best interest Ouch

Woud it be in the girl's best interest?  I havent a clue to that one- duh Confused

So Aarya, I dont think there can be any right answer for the question you asked.

As many have stated here, the real question is "How do you determine that the truth isn't in their best interest?"  And there is no way to determine that unless you tell the truth and let the other person decide for them self.

If you are besotted with a girl and if you don't tell her how would you (or her) ever know the outcome of that truth...

The thing is that you have to be willing walk fine lines and possibilities of truth and the like is up to the action of the other person. Those who walk will be those who venture and it isn't about deserving, but of willing. And the truth will only be thinking based on everything that has been brought up in one's life, call it influence which usually leads to opinion.

Edited by -Aarya- - 21 May 2013 at 6:17am

zorrro

Post Reply New Post

Go to top