Was seven years justified??

lotus8 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
He was fully drunk, couldn't control and apologized zillion times. No denying, it was a rape and he accepted that he was wrong and had no control under the alcohol influence. I am a woman and want to debate with forum members if his punishment was justified. I think, community service or heavy financial penalty or any other punishment would have been justified but seven years in jail was too harsh for a student for this act with no previous backlog of such acts. Even that woman accepted that he was not in his senses. I am not condoning off his offense but one has to see the circumstances and the malicious feelings, background and if she ever felt any warning signs. If it was my son or brother, I would have also called that lady in distress zillion times to apologize and ask for forgiveness for this offense. It is a shame that for this case in 2005, the system used the fast court and there have been real worse cases since then which were done by men while fully conscientious, and the system took forever to solve them or to leave them. The only part I feel that would have helped him would have been to speak very honestly in front of the judge and stand up to his act. While the lawyer twisted things against the lady which caused more harm.
Please healthy discussions only if you would like to- I have put myself in that woman's shoes and I am totally against the crime on women. My only point is that seven years in jail was too harsh for this crime compared to only ten years for the physiotherapy gang rape in the bus.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ritu- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I don't care if he was under influence. What that sorry excuse for a man did was wrong. His excuse was pathetic. He shouldn't have been given parole and his useless family should be in jail for supporting that rapist. He should have been given life in prisonment. He lived a care free life for so long without any shame. People and family like them should be banned from society and not given the choice to stay alive.

Being under the influence doesn't give a man a right to rape us. It's in inexcusable. Edited by -Ritu567- - 10 years ago
lotus8 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Ritu567-

Being under the influence doesn't give a man a right to rape us. It's in inexcusable.

And I totally agree with you. My point is not whether rape was inexcusable, I am talking about the circumstances that led to this incident, she innocently offered him wine, he lost his senses and did what was wrong legally and emotionally.

My point of discussion was if the seven years of imprisonment was justified by the fast track court for this student. I don't think so. I also don't think that people on the run have stress free cool life, ther are always on the run.

If the judgement had been consistent with the crime, this person would probably not have done what he ended up doing. You also have to look at the remorse he felt. If he was opportunistic, he could  have easily accepted the Bangalore girl's proposal and would have ruined her life too.

Minionite thumbnail
I felt it was justified. I understand that he did understand what he did was wrong, but it was wrong and that's the whole point. It's easy to say that he was influenced by the alcohol, but you can't blame alcohol only. Somewhere in his mind he had this feeling and it came out when he drank. It's easy for him to say sorry and accept that he made a mistake, but what about the girl? Did one sorry fix it for her? Does she get back the life she had before and the friendship that she trusted so much?
whatthewhat thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Alcohol is not a mitigating factor for rape or any other crime for that matter! 
Punishment was totally justified. 

Muskaan92 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Punishment is totally justified. If he already knew that he gets out of control after drinking, he could have rejected the offer of wine.

What he did was a heinous crime. The girl literally begged of him, she broke the lamp to bring him back in his senses but he didnt stop.
Muskaan92 thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Ritu567-

I don't care if he was under influence. What that sorry excuse for a man did was wrong. His excuse was pathetic. He shouldn't have been given parole and his useless family should be in jail for supporting that rapist. He should have been given life in prisonment. He lived a care free life for so long without any shame. People and family like them should be banned from society and not given the choice to stay alive.

Being under the influence doesn't give a man a right to rape us. It's in inexcusable.

Agree with you. His act cannot be justified at all. He broke the trust of a girl.
Muskaan92 thumbnail
Originally posted by: lotus8

And I totally agree with you. My point is not whether rape was inexcusable, I am talking about the circumstances that led to this incident, she innocently offered him wine, he lost his senses and did what was wrong legally and emotionally.

My point of discussion was if the seven years of imprisonment was justified by the fast track court for this student. I don't think so. I also don't think that people on the run have stress free cool life, ther are always on the run.

If the judgement had been consistent with the crime, this person would probably not have done what he ended up doing. You also have to look at the remorse he felt. If he was opportunistic, he could  have easily accepted the Bangalore girl's proposal and would have ruined her life too.

You have a point. He rejected that Bangalore girl's proposal because he feared that one day his past will come back.
Muskaan92 thumbnail
Originally posted by: KS_Shreya

I felt it was justified. I understand that he did understand what he did was wrong, but it was wrong and that's the whole point. It's easy to say that he was influenced by the alcohol, but you can't blame alcohol only. Somewhere in his mind he had this feeling and it came out when he drank. It's easy for him to say sorry and accept that he made a mistake, but what about the girl? Did one sorry fix it for her? Does she get back the life she had before and the friendship that she trusted so much?

Agreed. Alcohol cannot be blamed completely. His mind was preoccupied with the thought  that once he will find a girl alone, he will rape her.

And, in the entire matter, the girl was completely innocent. She trusted her friend and wanted to share dinner with him. She was not aware that he would transform himself into an animal.
Muskaan92 thumbnail
Originally posted by: narangi314

Alcohol is not a mitigating factor for rape or any other crime for that matter! 

Punishment was totally justified. 

True. A man should remain alert then. When he is with a girl or a woman, it is HIS responsibility to take care that the girl/woman  is not harmed due to him.