Pooja's not a chutki any more

Devendra thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Pooja's not a chutki any more
   By: Joyeeta Basu
   May 19, 2005

Pooja Rupareil
Remember the younger sister of Kajol in the record setting Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge? Chutki aka Pooja Rupareil is now all grown up and features as the lead character's daughter in the television serial LOC on Star Plus.

Pooja's career started, when she was just nine, with King Uncle starring Jackie Shroff and Shah Rukh Khan. However, she has had long gaps between her movies.

She explains, "After each film, I got slotted into stereotypical roles. Besides, after DDLJ, I decided to concentrate on my Class 10 exams."

The 23-year-old has just completed her Masters in Industrial Psychology from SNDT College. Currently working as a corporate trainer, she says she loves both careers. "I want my cake and want to eat it too. I am keeping my options open," she says.

Speaking of the landmark film that recently complete 500 weeks, Pooja remembers very little about DDLJ, except, "The famous climax scene between Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol and Amrish Puri which was shot at Panvel. 

We were holed up  there, and I remember playing a lot of the board game, Articulate," she says, adding, "Satish Shah, with his great sense of humour, kept us constantly entertained."

Speaking of working with the top stars of the industry, she says it was a wonderful experience. "It was the second time I was acting with Shah Rukh Khan and I was comfortable with him. Working with Kajol was also a great experience," says Pooja.

Has life changed after the two films? "Nothing much has changed. I still travel by buses and trains. Sometimes the stray Chutki remark still comes my way," she says laughing.

Ask her to compare the experience of shooting as a child and now, and she explains, "As a child, one is easy going and unaware of the complications involved in a shoot.  Now I am more aware of the camera angles and try to work them to my benefit."

However, working as a child artist did have its downside. "It was quite a horrifying experience as friends at school took it for granted that I had changed when actually I hadn't. It was quite terrible after King Uncle."

Talking about her tele show, she elaborates, "I play a Pakistani girl in love with an Indian boy in the socio-political satire.  However, the character Resham is completely different from me.

She is always immaculately dressed and leaves her tresses open most of the time. I do not like too much make up and seldom leave my hair open," she says, adding, "It's very liberating playing someone else."

Talking about her experience of working in a serial, Pooja says, "A film has a sense of finality while in a serial the next day's episode can turn around a day of bad acting. Serials cover a large amount of work in one day while film scenes last for a few minutes."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters