IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 10 June 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by zephyr29

Originally posted by angelirebelli

Originally posted by mehak_kapoor

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">My first Austen, like most of you was Pride and Prejudice. I have read all her books and find her witty. Her female characters are more human when compared to her male characters, who are paragons in one form or another.</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">
</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">All her books are fab, Emma starts out slow but it isn't as bad. It definitely isn't PnP or SnS but is good on its own.</font>

I guess I will start with Emma then Smile

Thats a good idea. Emma is actually a very good book and she is widely known to be one of the most flawed characters of Austen's works. Here the main protagonist herself is actually a grey-shaded character; She is likable but at the same time you end up disapproving her in many instances. I just never got around to finishing it as I had already watched the movie versions so the novelty had worn off.

This is happening to me as well.. I am catching up on TV adaptations and I am kinda losing interest in picking those books again. It could also be coz I do not have as much time on me as I used to.. Confused

Having said that, I enjoyed the books and love watching the adaptations. Embarrassed

Which is why I'm now steering clear of screen adaptations of books I really want to read. But I do catch up on them once I'm done reading, just to know how its turned out, which most of the times are disappointing. But somehow I have found that with Austen adaptations they come up with amazing screen versions of the books. My particular favorites are the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and also the 2005 Keira Knightley movie as well, and the 1996 movie Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow as the title character.

I like the books and I want to see how the adaptations turned out so i give into my temptation.. I am a sucker for period settings.. Embarrassed

My absolute fav adaptation of PnP has the be the BBCs with Colin Firth playing Darcy.. BBCs adaptation of Emma was good as well.. 

Coming bac to Austen , I think Persuasion doesn't get enough credit, its another great story.. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

zephyr29mehak_kapoor

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "No Jane Austen fan? (Page 4)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mehak_kapoor

IF-Sizzlerz

mehak_kapoor

Posted: 11 June 2013 at 5:07am | IP Logged

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">My first Austen, like most of you was Pride and Prejudice. I have read all her books and find her witty. Her female characters are more human when compared to her male characters, who are paragons in one form or another.</font>
</font>

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">All her books are fab, Emma starts out slow but it isn't as bad. It definitely isn't PnP or SnS but is good on its own.</font>

</div>

Thats a good idea. Emma is actually a very good bookandshe is widely known to be one of the most flawed charactersof Austen's works.Here the main protagonist herself is actually a grey-shaded character; She is likable but atthe same time you end up disapprovingher in many instances. I just never got around to finishing it as I had already watched the movie versions so the novelty had worn off.

<font color="#000066" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">This is happening to me as well.. I am catching up on TV adaptations and I am kinda losing interest in picking those books again. It could also be coz I do not have as much time on me as I used to..Confused</font>

<font color="#000066" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">
</font>

<font color="#000066" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">Having said that, I enjoyed the books and love watching the adaptations.Embarrassed</font>

<div>

Which is why I'm now steering clear of screen adaptations of books I really want to read. But I do catch up on them once I'm done reading, just to know how its turned out, which most of the times are disappointing. But somehowI have found that with Austen adaptations they come up with amazing screen versions of the books. My particular favoritesare the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and also the 2005 Keira Knightley movie as well, and the 1996 movie Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow as the title character.

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">I like the books and I want to see how the adaptations turned out so i give into my temptation.. I am a sucker for period settings..Embarrassed</font>
</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">My absolute fav adaptation of PnP has the be the BBCs with Colin Firth playing Darcy.. BBCs adaptation of Emma was good as well..</font>
</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">Coming bac to Austen , I think Persuasion doesn't get enough credit, its another great story..</font>

Hey I would love to get your review of persuation. I completed sense and sensibility and it was great too.

Persuation stands where?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelli

zephyr29

IF-Rockerz

zephyr29

Posted: 11 June 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged

I like the books and I want to see how the adaptations turned out so i give into my temptation.. I am a sucker for period settings.. Embarrassed

My absolute fav adaptation of PnP has the be the BBCs with Colin Firth playing Darcy.. BBCs adaptation of Emma was good as well.. 

Coming bac to Austen , I think Persuasion doesn't get enough credit, its another great story.. 

I'm a sucker for period too! Just can't seem to stay away from it LOL.
Persuasion is one book of Austen I have yet to read. I keep putting it away for later but that later never seems to come. Probably as it was the last novel written by Austen it might also end up being the last novel of hers that I will read. Maybe once I'm done with Emma finally Embarrassed.

angelirebellimehak_kapoor

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 5:23am | IP Logged

</font>

</div>

Thats a good idea. Emma is actually a very good bookandshe is widely known to be one of the most flawed charactersof Austen's works.Here the main protagonist herself is actually a grey-shaded character; She is likable but atthe same time you end up disapprovingher in many instances. I just never got around to finishing it as I had already watched the movie versions so the novelty had worn off.

<font color="#000066" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">This is happening to me as well.. I am catching up on TV adaptations and I am kinda losing interest in picking those books again. It could also be coz I do not have as much time on me as I used to..Confused</font>

<font color="#000066" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">
</font>

<font color="#000066" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">Having said that, I enjoyed the books and love watching the adaptations.Embarrassed</font>

<div>

Which is why I'm now steering clear of screen adaptations of books I really want to read. But I do catch up on them once I'm done reading, just to know how its turned out, which most of the times are disappointing. But somehowI have found that with Austen adaptations they come up with amazing screen versions of the books. My particular favoritesare the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and also the 2005 Keira Knightley movie as well, and the 1996 movie Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow as the title character.

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">I like the books and I want to see how the adaptations turned out so i give into my temptation.. I am a sucker for period settings..Embarrassed</font>
</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">My absolute fav adaptation of PnP has the be the BBCs with Colin Firth playing Darcy.. BBCs adaptation of Emma was good as well..</font>
</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">Coming bac to Austen , I think Persuasion doesn't get enough credit, its another great story..</font>

Hey I would love to get your review of persuation. I completed sense and sensibility and it was great too.

Persuation stands where?

I loved it. I wonder why it isn't talked or discussed as much as her other works its a beautiful story. It has the Austen magic - the setting, the characters, the wit and play of human emotions all there.. Wonderful book and I would strongly recommend it, maybe even over Emma. 

I loved the book and I enjoyed the adaptations as well. 

mehak_kapoor

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 5:28am | IP Logged

Persuasion is one book of Austen I have yet to read. I keep putting it away for later but that later never seems to come. Probably as it was the last novel written by Austen it might also end up being the last novel of hers that I will read. Maybe once I'm done with Emma finally Embarrassed.

LOL me too.. I am just in love with the bonnet era and everything period. U might want to try Judith McNaught's historical romances I just love her work. They make a good read. I find many writers of historical romances getting into a set frame but I found her refreshing. 

zephyr29

zephyr29

IF-Rockerz

zephyr29

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged

LOL me too.. I am just in love with the bonnet era and everything period. U might want to try Judith McNaught's historical romances I just love her work. They make a good read. I find many writers of historical romances getting into a set frame but I found her refreshing. 

I think I have a couple of Judith McNaught ebooks. Will definitely check them out. Historical Romances happen to be my guilty pleasure LOL. My favorite is Lisa Kleypas. Love most of her works especially The Wallflowers series and The Hathaways series. I agree many historical romance writers seem to follow a set pattern, but I have found Kleypas's stories to be very emotional, not just in the romance but in depicting every other relationship. In fact I found the way she shows family bonds to be very similar to that of Austen, witty and affectionate with little quirks.

bookworm-ALS--

IF-Stunnerz

bookworm-ALS--

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged
I've always loved reading Jane Austen. My favourites would be Emma and of course, Pride and Prejudice :)

arcoirismehak_kapoor

GodhuliLogon

IF-Sizzlerz

GodhuliLogon

Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged
i read three . .pride, emma and sense .. :) 

Mr.. Darcy is .. Day Dreaming

mehak_kapoor

Post Reply New Post

Go to top