Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SudhaSangeet thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

(may contain spoilers)

There's nothing more rocking and dhamakedaar than watching this film in theatres. Everything from gns to romance, friends to enemies, police to prisoner, Bombay streets and its authenticity is finely crafted and presented by Mr. Sanjay Gupta. Kudos to him.πŸ‘ Superb direction of all the scenes which were crucial in making of Manya Surve in jail and his portrayal. Every role in movie is represented perfectly by all the actors. Apart from 'Manya Surve', its tushar's character 'Munir' who is the highlight for me along with my all time fav Anil kapoor.

Kangana was superb in all the scenes without getting overshadowed by the dangerous and ruthless John. Sonu, Manoj, played their part intensely, I liked Sonu more'

Dialogues were ekdam Jhakaas'😎with all the punch giving audience everything to cheer apart from all the item songs'I firstly didn't like why they put so many songs in movie then after watching movie I understood that without them movie would be plain documentary. Needless to say Laila was the best of all & also she had two keemti dialogues'.πŸ˜† Priyanka and Sophie were also liked by everyone.

The best scene was how John stopped the bus and saved Tushar'awesome scene'snapshot of the scene which became first poster of movie⭐️

Coming to...John Abraham in next post...

Edited by SudhaSangeet - 10 years ago
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Shootout At Wadala review: A paisa-vasool entertainer!

Friday May 03, 2013
StumbleUpon
Tumblr
Digg
Reddit
Email

John Abraham as gangster Manya Surve is the highlight of the film, while Anil Kapoor puts his heart and soul into reliving the honest ACP Aafaque Bagraan

Bollywood's fascination with the underworld and glorification of real-life villains (of 1970s and 1980s particularly) on the silver screen is known to all. The underworld has been a source of inspiration for several filmmakers who have sketched meaty characters based on dreaded gangsters, especially Dawood Ibrahim. Unlike most renowned gangster flicks, Sanjay Gupta's Shootout at Wadala (SAW) doesn't majorly focus on Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar (who is one of the prime characters), but another ruthless gangster not known to many – Manya Surve – who decided to take on Dawood and challenge his supremacy over Mumbai.

The story of Manya (John Abraham) starts in a flashback narration when he recites his tragic tale to ACP Aafaque Bagraan (after surviving not less than 8-10 bullets!) of how he transformed from a college boy Manohar Surve to gangster Manya Surve. It showcases how the focussed Manohar gets wrongly accused of a murder that drastically changes his life for the worse, as he gets imprisoned for life. In jail, Manya befriends Sheikh Munir (Tusshar Kapoor) who helps him escape and Manya forms his own gang – Hindu gang, to be precise – and challenges ruling underworld bhais – Dilawar Imtiyaz Haskar (Sonu Sood) and his brother Zubair Imtiyaz Haskar (Manoj Bajpayee). In between, Manya and his cronies drive all over Bombay during the night, smoking, drinking, dancing, dancing, dancing (there are three item numbers – Priyanka Chopra, Sunny Leone and Sophie Choudry) and uttering mc-bc words.

Based on a true 1982 encounter between Aafaque and Manya in the premises of one of the city's oldest colleges, SAW obviously takes considerable liberty with its storyline. What's more interesting is the unabashed glorification of the ruthless criminals and the rather desperate ineffectiveness of the helpless cops portrayed aptly by Anil Kapoor, Mahesh Manjrekar and Ronit Roy. This combined with an over-the-top amount of gunfire and brutally intense physical violence makes SAW as troubling in certain parts as surprising. Having said that, it makes it one of the most realistic representations of the famous encounters the Indian judiciary or the police records have ever witnessed.

The first half of SAW is relatively slow but considering it's a multi-starrer, due credit to Gupta for keeping the screenplay and script precise and establishing his characters deftly. The second half is more engaging with the actual one-upmanship game between Manya and the Haskar brothers, and the actual shootout plan devised by Aafaque.

Gupta has religiously followed From Dongri to Dubai β€“ the book on which the film is based – and taken great care to ensure his movie looks set in late '70s and '80s. Everything is authentic – right from the trousers worn to the car used to the buildings shown. SAW successfully takes us back to the bygone era. Also, writer Milap Zaveri does a good job with the dialogues and the actors have done an equally good job delivering them. There are quite a number of powerful dialogues deserving whistles and claps… even better than Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai like 'Zung hathiyaaron ko lagta hai, iraadon ko nahi' or 'Itna marunga ke aisa dard hoga body mein ke dard ko bhi samajh mein nahi aayega kahaa se baahar niklu'! But be warned, there's a big dose of cuss words that will make you cringe.

SAW has great performances from every actor, making it an engaging watch. John is superlative and is as overbearing as his character Manya demands; this is one of his career-best performances after Zinda and Taxi No. 9211. The movie belongs to him completely. His partner-in-crime Munir's role has been performed brilliantly by Tusshar Kapoor who puts his heart and soul into a dark character again. As usual, Anil delivers a power-packed performance. Sonu essays the role of Dilawar to the T. And Manoj once again emotes expressively with his eyes as the powerful and dominating Zubair. Siddhant Kapoor, son of onscreen baddie Shakti Kapoor, is also a young talent to watch out for. Vidya (Kangna Ranaut) has less scope to perform in this male-dominated flick – this time just helping Manya garam (hot) his bistar (bed) every time he sees her.

SAW is an entertainer worth a watch for the settings, performances and dialogue baazi. It's a well made film. The script and screenplay are terrific. Our verdict: During the interval, we heard people whispering – single screen mein toh dhamaal kar degi, masses will certainly love it… Need we say more? 

Read more: http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/5bd53e1f46bf182c428c3a3498e9b038/shootout-at-wadala-review-a-paisa-vasool-entertainer#ixzz2SDY8Fr1Q

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Shootout At Wadala Has Good Opening Bombay Talkies Is Poor

Friday 3rd May 2013 11.30 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Shootout At Wadala had a good opening at most places with collections around the 65% mark on average. The film opened better in places like CP Berar, Maharashtra and Nizam probably due to action and due to the fact gangster films have a larger audience for these films. The opening in the North was also pretty good taking into accout it is more of a Mumbai circuit film.

The film should notch up healthy first day collections despite it not having a big star although there are plenty of known faces in the film but non of these are crowd pullers. The film has been released on around 2500 screens across India making it third biggest release of 2013 after Himmatwala and Race 2 but both those films wento to 3000 plus.

Bombay Talkies opened to a poor 15-20% response and this also only came as the film is restricted to a limited release with just 3-4 shows at the better multiplexes of major cities. The film will have low collections as opening is low and screenings are limited.

Chhota Bheem And The Throne Of Bali also opened poorly but being a film for children it is more about Saturday and Sunday business. The earlier Chotta Bheem film released last year had done reasonable business.

SRC

arsalansyed117 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Review: Shootout At Wadala is a mindless gore-fest

Shootout At Wadala fails on all counts, writes Ankur Pathak.

Sanjay Gupta's new film Shootout at Wadala documents the rise of crime in 1970s Mumbai [ Images ] and how, after local cops gunned down feared gansgter Manya Surve, the term 'encounter' entered the Police lexicon. 

However, instead of engaging the viewers with a well-written screenplay, the film's story runs all over the place with horrendous dialogues peppered with the most crass expletives that sound more inconsequential than sinister.

John Abraham [ Images ] plays Manya Surve, a bright student with a promising future who turns against the system after being wrongly framed in a murder case. 

This dramatic transition in character and an overnight shift in ideologies -- as a student he wouldn't even cheat during exams -- is one of the many flaws of the movie. 

After his stint in jail where he bulks up with the help of a trainer (who by the way looks more like a poor man's Hulk Hogan), Manya escapes prison not as a reformed man but as a maniac armed with Tusshar Kapoor [ Images ] for a sidekick. 

More petty thieves are picked up along the way to paint the city red, with blood.

Anil Kapoor [ Images ], Ronit Roy and Mahesh Manjrekar [ Images ] play the cops while Manoj Bajpayee [ Images ] and Sonu Sood [ Images ] are rival mob-bosses who appear on screen as infrequently as ghosts in a Vikram Bhatt [ Images ] film. 

Kangna Ranaut [ Images ] plays one expression for the entire duration of the film irrespective of what the scene demands.

In the middle of all the gory scenes where everyone kills everyone else because they are in a Sanjay Gupta movie, three women in bizarre clothing -- Priyanka Chopra [ Images ], Sunny Leone [ Images ] and Sophie Choudry [ Images ] -- gyrate to songs that sound similar. 

Yet another standout element that fails to work in the film's favour is the dialogue. It's difficult to determine exactly what the writers were aiming for with dialogues like "Inkee Tehzeeb mein bhi Tezaab Hai" and "Maafi ke pehle do aksharon mein bhi MAA hai."

The exaggerated action scenes and over-the-top violence makes it difficult to believe that the film is inspired from journalist S Hussain Zaidi's non-fiction book Dongri to Dubai [ Images ].

To top that, Gupta, quite audaciously, rips off one of the most iconic scenes in cinema history -- Sonny Corleone's assassination in The Godfather

As far as performances are concerned, John Abraham lives up to expectations by adding a realistic mustache. Rest of the cast is average with only Sonu Sood standing out.

Master filmmaker Christopher Nolan once said, "The mind is the scene of crime". 

Instead of this self-indulgent gore-fest, we would have appreciated a little more focus on the gangsters' psyche.

Rediff Rating: No stars
SudhaSangeet thumbnail
Manohar to Manya journey in the fist half was most touching part for me. How he was trapped in murder and how he was insulted in college while taking the results ...I cried so much😭
Even the jail scenes were awesome
Superb acting by John, he was so innocent and equally ruthless in the second half.
If looks could kill...there was no need of guns...
Needless to say why he took so much efforts to bulk up for this character...to create the terror of this character 'Manya'
His style of taking of the goggles and staring ...haye... with all the attitude...
Superb chemistry with Kangana...both makes screen alive...in each of their meeting.
The final scenes were done so nicely...I cried again

I am watching it in theatres again this sunday...3 days gap to recover.
I know its 18+ movie (so doubt abt its earning at BO) still today I saw houseful board for morning show which is rare...Others can go for chota bheem I love that cartoon very much.
I said this during Race 2 that BO income dont matter for me as much John's appreciation...since it remains forever.

If you like this genre of movie you will love this film. πŸ₯³
SudhaSangeet thumbnail
Originally posted by: rambo-rajkumar

That John's bus scene gave me goosebumps

Best scene so far this year

That scene was in one of the promo also...that is exactly 91 No. bus which I catch to go to my college πŸ˜³πŸ˜†
Yes very well directed scene that was
Meera1101 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
tbh, i wasnt looking forward to this movie at all(same was the case with Aashiqui2) but the positive reviews of the movie always make me curious and excited haha i feel like going for SAW tonight itself πŸ˜† thank you for all the reviews everyone!
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: .MohitKiMeera

tbh, i wasnt looking forward to this movie at all(same was the case with Aashiqui2) but the positive reviews of the movie always make me curious and excited haha i feel like going for SAW tonight itself πŸ˜† thank you for all the reviews everyone!

bt u said u dunt go to movies seeing positive reviews!!!
SudhaSangeet thumbnail
I am pleasantly shocked seeing the opening...I didnt expected this much...Good going πŸ‘πŸΌ
Thanks for sharing Updates everyone !
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail

Movie Review: 'Shootout At Wadala' is a knock-out action thriller!

May 2, 2013      0 Comments

inShare

Cast: Anil Kapoor, John Abraham, , Tusshar, Kangana Ranaut, Manoj Bajpayee, Sonu Sood, Ronit Roy, Mahesh Manjerekar

Directed by: Sanjay Guptajohn

Ratings: * * * 1/2

Based on the infamous 1992 gang encounters in Bombay, The film dramatizes the events leading up to Mumbai police's first-ever registered encounter where gangster Manya Surve was shot dead.

Let me also clarify, Shootout At Wadala is no ways any sequel to Shootout At Lokhandwala (2007) which was produced by Sanjay Gupta and Ekta Kapoor.

This one is a fresh film with a fresh plot. The only common relative factor here is the notorious gangster Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar (Name changed to 'Dilawar Imtiyaz Haskar').

Manya Surve (John Abraham) is about to face life imprisonment for a crime which he has not committed. In jail, He befriends with Sheikh Munir (Tusshar) and flees from the prison to form a new gang.

Manya, a young-dangerous and cheeky gangster who dared to break rules and threaten the supremacy of the biggies including Dilawar Imtiyaz Haskar (Sonu Sood) and his brother Zubair Imtiyaz Haskar (Manoj Bajpayee) . Manya becomes a menace to the cop ACP Ishaque Bagwan (Anil Kapoor).

Both the brothers Dilawar and Zubair wants Manya dead at any cost, On the other hand ACP Ishaque Bagwan will show no mercy to finish what Manya has started.

As far as the Performance goes, John Abraham is tremendous as Manya Surve. At many points, John makes you believe that no one could have done justice to the character of Manya Surve like he did. If you have forgotten Maya Bhai (From Shootout At Lokhandwala), Trust me, John Abraham will create a new terror of Manya Bhai in your hearts.

Anil Kapoor is electrifying as ACP Ishaque Bagwan. He delivers all his lines with the immense shock value which is required on a no nonsense Police Officer. In some of the scenes, , Anil easily dominated many actors with his charisma of performance.

Manoj Bajpayee is wonderful once again. Sonu Sood surprises you with his Dawood Ibrahim act.

Tusshar is very good as Manya's friend Sheikh Munir. If you look closely, It's Tusshar's character that makes Manya Surve, "The" Manya Bhai. Kangana Ranaut is terrific in final frames of the film.

Rest of the cast which includes Ronit Roy, Mahesh Manjerekar, Jackie Shroff and Ranjeet are equally good.

Director Sanjay Gupta brings an honest film with the participation of S. Hussain Zaidi's (Black Friday) book. As a director, Sanjay Gupta has made an amazing film with all the right kind of ingredients and style.

Shootout At Wadala can be termed as the most accomplish work by Sanjay Gupta. Cinematography and Editing of the film is mind-blowing. The film does not drag and moves with the flow. Right kind of atmosphere is re-created to give you the perfect feel of that era. Production values are just outstanding.

Music of the film is not 'Pushed'. In fact the songs makes you sit tight to your seats because you are about to see the appearances of Priyanka Chopra (Babli Badmaash), Sunny Leone (Laila) and Aala Re Aala which pumps up your feet.

Shootout At Wadala is fast, pulse-pounding and racy at the same time. With powerful performances by magnificent stars, The film is a knock-out action thriller!

SRC