Debate Mansion

Who will be the next Prime Minister of India? (Page 2)

Poll Question: Who will be the next PM of India?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [72.00%]
5 [10.00%]
1 [2.00%]
2 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.00%]
2 [4.00%]
2 [4.00%]
1 [2.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 55

Page 1
Page   of 55
Page 3 Page 55

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged
Why is that corporate India is supporting Modi? 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Frigate

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Who will be the next Prime Minister of India? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged

2, still you are not answering this question

why dont you think supporting Nero Modi leader and his organisation of riot perpetrators is like supporting those perpetrator of Godhra train carnage. 

Because he has not "perpetrated" anything. Once the SC proves that he caused it, I will accept it. Please note that congress has the sikh riots to it's name and hundreds of other riots. And thereh as not been a single riot in gujarat since then.

teesta should be thrown out of the country, that b%%%.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Ruchi-interestFrigate

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged
Let the prospective candidates participate in public debates and spell out how they intend to implement the promises they make. If they promise Re1 or Re 2 per kg rice they need to tell the public how they intend to generate the funds for that. For starters it would be interesting to listen to what Modi has to say about the prevailing safety concerns about women in India. He had earlier said that women are malnourished due to their fashion conciousness or in other words due to their obession to maintain a slim figure. I wonder what he feels is the cause for the spate of violence against women and how he intends to tackle it should he be elected as the PM.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

peridot.-Aarya-FrigateForever-KA

LovelyPlanet

Goldie

LovelyPlanet

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged
to be honest, i dont mind BJP if they bring Sushma Swaraj.. but likes of Modi will never allow woman to come forward.. thats another problem with bjp.. its hindu male dominated party.
Yeah nitish kumar is another good choice.
Anyone remotely connected to communal voilence or crime suspect should not be enthroned/even proposed.

Edited by lonely0planet - 22 April 2013 at 3:42am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

peridot.Forever-KA

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 7:25am | IP Logged
Modi seems to be the front runner. Based on his popularity climb, I think he is the one.

However, I'm skeptical about him. To be honest none of the candidates are really good or balanced. All have too many flaws one way or another. Congress panders too much to minority interests and ridiculousness. BJP has a tendency to do the opposites.

I feel bad for Manmohan Singh. He is actually an honest and highly intelligent man. Well educated and a great economic mind. Too bad he is a very coy, submissive kind and Congress has used him like a puppet. I wish he never was a PM and remained as our best finance minister.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

drummedup-Inferno-LeadNitrate-PrimaDonna-boreddamselANNMT.

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged

First let me clear that I have no preferred candidate as I don't have much idea of Indian politics. My current understanding is that Modi is quite popular and can be the next PM. I also understand that many outsiders do not get this that how come an extremist person like Modi can even be considered let alone be a favorite to win. This is mind boggling to outsiders and that too about India which is considered a progressive country. I believe he was even barred from entry into US once.

I was one of those people who never understood this however this is how I have changed and do not care anymore. lol

1) In Pakistan he is obviously painted as an extremist. We had a certain view of him and I had same view. When I came to US, an Indian colleague of mine who was studying with me further solidified my views. I have mentioned him before. He is a physician and at the time of riots he was there. He was a hard core BJP supporter and often spoke against Muslims etc. Same old complaints of quotas and pro Pakistan. However one good thing about him was that he liked me (a Muslim Pakistani) lol. There are some strange contradictions in many of us. We were so close that we sue to eat, study together and helped each other  Basically I like honest people so I connected with him. I explained and clarified lots of misconceptions about Islam etc. He use to ask why did you guys leave India type questions.

Anyway he told me that yes the stories about doctors being asked not to treat Muslims etc were right. He also admitted that yes Modi etc are extremists and anti-Muslim. He revealed all. Obviously he gave explanations why such a mindset. However point here is that when an Indian, a Hindu and that too a BJP supporter tells you that then you believe it. lol. He also had issues with other Hindus who eat meat and spoke lot against Indians who do such things to please west. I wont go into that. lol.

2) Now the point is how come an extremist like Modi is so popular. Are Indians extremist? Is it because they hate Muslims? Is it because of Pakistan? On paper India is a peaceful democratic country who has never invaded anyone. How can they support such a person? Is it some sort of reaction to being passive in their history? Ok we will be aggressive now. Is it that mindset? I don't know the answer.

I am sure all of the above have a role to play. However in recent years I will add another factor and that I have observed in Pakistan. I have noted that many in Pakistan actively or passively support extremists. Like those modi supporters they look for lame excuses like US war, discrimination against Muslims etc. Another factor is that at times of calamities these extremist groups do work for people and then they have madrassas etc which provides them food, shelter etc. Point here is that even they can do good and therefore get support. It is possible that while Modi is an extremist (or a closet extremist) but many in India like the fact that he has otherwise done good things. Like economic development. Maybe the alternates while peaceful people are corrupt and not good in terms of running government. I don't know.

Lets summarize some factors that are present in Indian/Pakitanis/Desis when it comes to supporting extremists like Modi and extremist groups in Pakistan

- Fear
- Ethnicity
- Religion
- Discrimination excuse
- Good work done by them
- Shared hatred for other groups
- Lack of alternate

In conclusion I think it is highly possible that Modi can win. In the end the problem is us the people. We have our own issues and it is us who support such extremists. We will provide lame excuses but in the end we are ourselves extremists. One needs to be mature enough to realize that despite of lame excuses one should never ever support a wrong. Maybe in developed nations such people are less. It could also be that such phenomenon is there in developed nations but few have developed a system where such people are not promoted.

Pakistan will go for elections in few weeks and who are favorites. Nawaz Sharif has taken money from OBL, he stays quiet on extremists, blames US etc, his party has formed alliances with extremist groups who are anti-India and kill shias. On the other hand is Imran Khan who thinks all the Pakistan's problems are because of US. He once told an Indian journalist well I don't condemn these groups because our party workers will suffer. Well you condemn USA every other minute. Now he has condemned some groups but not all. We are talking to people who have beheaded civilians. Now who is to be blamed? I blame people. There is active or passive support. We blame west, US, India etc but stay quiet on extremists.

So yes I hope this puts into perspective why we see such odd things like support for people who have a history like Modi and in case of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif, Imran Khan etc.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

N.bhavnaLovelyPlanet-Aarya-Frigate-PrimaDonna-HawaaPot

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged
Baazigar,

Some people suggest that the best way to deal with extremist leaders like Modi is to let them ge into power. Following things happen

1- They become moderate. I remember when BJP came into power everyone thought they would be anti-Pakistan and all that however Vajpayee came to Pakistan for peace process. Later Advani came and went to Lahore and acknowledge creation of Pakistam. Jaswant Singh (BJP) praised M. Ali Jinnah. Point is that they move to center

2- Sometimes when you speak against an idealogy or try to prevent it what happens is that they get more support. This is specially true in countries like India-Pakistan where people are emotional and lack maturity.

3- If they will do things that are bad then most people will not appreciate it and reject them through votes the next time.

So yes in case of Imran Khan lets say if he comes to power then I will see how he deals with west and terrorism. In the end he would have to deal with them as at that time there will be no excuses. Nawaz who gets support from anti-India groups talked about peace etc as well.

Therefore I dont care as the nature will sort these extremists out. What is right is what will survive in the end.

Edited by King-Anu - 22 April 2013 at 10:08am

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Modi seems to be the front runner. Based on his popularity climb, I think he is the one.

However, I'm skeptical about him. To be honest none of the candidates are really good or balanced. All have too many flaws one way or another. Congress panders too much to minority interests and ridiculousness. BJP has a tendency to do the opposites.

I feel bad for Manmohan Singh. He is actually an honest and highly intelligent man. Well educated and a great economic mind. Too bad he is a very coy, submissive kind and Congress has used him like a puppet. I wish he never was a PM and remained as our best finance minister.

Actually I think subramanian swamy should be PM, he is the best choice. but he has no real presence.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top