Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged
bumping for chammo ke yaar chacha

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Social Norms Vs True Respect (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

nerdynerd

Goldie

nerdynerd

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 11:04pm | IP Logged
interesting question Clap
I don't know I usually call them anything if I feel uncomfortable...Otherwise, I usually use "ji" (I am punjabi that's why)for everyone who is older than me by more than 6 or 7 years; and lots of people find that weird...but I don't know otherwise I always get around without saying their name or anything...hmm so yuh...but if they want me to call them di or sumthin...I dont' mind! To me it's no biggie!

manjujain

IF-Sizzlerz

manjujain

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 1:56am | IP Logged
Very good topic!!!

I think we need to differntiate with blood relations and relations on IF. As in blood relations we have to call people with the relation di or bhai if we have that relation and they are elder to us, and we are supposed to respect them. While on IF I think it's a choice we make so from my perspective I think we should not call any person with any relation until we have that felling. somehow I am very particular of it I don't like using relation terms just for the name of it, I use it only when I have that feel for the person. Yes if person is elder we can always use ji as a respect.

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 2:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mQT

bumping for chammo ke yaar chacha

OMG! ROFL

I have a LOT of respect for good people at DM... That is why My Aunty/Uncle list keeps growing Embarrassed

persistence

Goldie

persistence

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged
Hmm, I have never added 'ji' or 'di' to any of my friends I have made online, no matter what their age is. I don't think it shows a lack of respect in any way; I love them all to the core. Actually, sometimes when some call me 'di', I find it wierd. LOL My sisters, and cousins, and all call me just by my name, and I do the same. I only add 'ji' after mama 'ji', chacha 'ji', etc... cause have been taught that way, and I never thought that it was out of respect that I added 'ji'... I just do LOL ... it sounds better, too. LOL

For me, respect doesn't come from age; it is for what the person is.

Persy

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 2:14am | IP Logged
Really TaniaShocked Confused

This was unknown to me....Actually if someone uses "tu" instead of "Tum" or "Aap".. Its considered disrespectful in Punjabis Smile I mean.. Rarely in my class anybody addressed others as "tu"... so i guess the convention and traditions vary from place to place... and people to people Smile Embarrassed

AmritaRao-Nina

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged

Originally posted by manjujain

Very good topic!!!

I think we need to differntiate with blood relations and relations on IF. As in blood relations we have to call people with the relation di or bhai if we have that relation and they are elder to us, and we are supposed to respect them. While on IF I think it's a choice we make so from my perspective I think we should not call any person with any relation until we have that felling. somehow I am very particular of it I don't like using relation terms just for the name of it, I use it only when I have that feel for the person. Yes if person is elder we can always use ji as a respect.

Well said!Clap Manju Ji!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top