Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Athena90

IF-Rockerz

Athena90

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 29 July 2006 at 6:36am | IP Logged
hello

Most of us call people elder to us, esp on IF di or bhaiya. The interesting thing would be that many times we dont call our own elder sister or cousin that way. So when we call someone di, do we really do so because they are just older than us by approximately few years? or do we do so, because we see that everyone is doing so?

I admit when i came to IF, the whole concept of di was rather mysterious to me. I have called my cousins akka (tamil for di when i was younger) but stopped when i grew older. The concept of this di calling took me some time to adapt too and i too was immersed in this culture. Recently, i stopped. I realised that i dont have to call someone di just because they are a few yrs elder and if i might ever say not wiser or more mature than me always. Sometimes though, certain people are more mature and really like a sis than i call them a di.

So the questions i pose to you guys today (after a LONG intro) would be:

- Why do u call someone di? Social Norm or real respect?
- Do you think everyone that calls someone di really means it?
- And if u think its more of just a norm, is it worth following and why?

Looking foreward to hear your comments

Cheers,
Sneha

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Social Norms Vs True Respect" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 29 July 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged
Hmmm.. Hot hitting topic LOL   LOL LOL Wink

-Why do u call someone di? Social Norm or real respect?

Personally speaking.. i have got 2 elder sistersin real life.... and i have a huge age difference from them.. i call them baji.. here in IF there are "di's" who are of the same age.. so it is automatically a di..not becoz of social norm... but becoz i respect them as i respect my sisters...Smile ...but the a**** is just to pick them LOL and they know it Tongue .. are u listening di's...i mean a****** LOL Wink (anybody! HELP me to find a hide-out LOL LOL LOL )

I have given the answer.. personally yes.. but can't say abt anyone else.. it depends wht the person's perceptions are!

it is respect ... i have been taught it this way as im the youngest member of my family cousins ..sisters ..uncles ..aunties ... so u have to give them respect like this.. this is our culture no matter where we live... u can be quite open and free to them -I am... but the formal respect is necessary in real life... And in virtual.. it is a form of respect too.. if u call them di.. Smile

sosweet

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 3:02am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged

Hi All!

All my replies in this Post will be dedicated  to Abhijit Shukla Uncle and MNMS aapa!!LOL

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged
Oh come on Myth Cry Angry This is going bizarre!! Ouch First you were teasing me with MNMS ji... now MNMS aapa... I think now is the time to use my most worthy weaponEvil Smile

Wondering to lift the ban on the word AUNTY now Tongue

Edited by MNMS - 01 February 2007 at 9:06am

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged
I think more than respect, it is a neat way of bonding given that all this that we share is confined to a virtual world!! I actually like it. Respect on the other hand, is what one earns for their deeds/ posts in this context. I applaud and respect so many viewpoints so many youngsters (i hardly have any dis in this forum LOL). Calling someone Di is mere bonding that I hope is mutual rather than it being a norm / pretense.

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sneha3105

hello

Most of us call people elder to us, esp on IF di or bhaiya. The interesting thing would be that many times we dont call our own elder sister or cousin that way. So when we call someone di, do we really do so because they are just older than us by approximately few years? or do we do so, because we see that everyone is doing so?

I admit when i came to IF, the whole concept of di was rather mysterious to me. I have called my cousins akka (tamil for di when i was younger) but stopped when i grew older. The concept of this di calling took me some time to adapt too and i too was immersed in this culture. Recently, i stopped. I realised that i dont have to call someone di just because they are a few yrs elder and if i might ever say not wiser or more mature than me always. Sometimes though, certain people are more mature and really like a sis than i call them a di.

Just for coutesy.Later on after good interactions with that Di we develop respect automatically. Same with Sowmyaa di and Subha Di in my case.

Yes.I don't call every tom dick and harry with a relation.

this makes us grow as better human beings

Cheers,
Sneha

For that matter, I call Abhijit Shukla of this forum as Abhijit Uncle and Jatayu as Uncle J .I really mean it and respect them.

MK

drymaple

drymaple

Posted: 01 February 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sneha3105

hello

Cheers,
Sneha

i even call a auto-rickshaw driver...bhaiya..and my kaamwali bai as mousi and any dukaanwala as bhaiyaLOL

it has become a formality nowadays to call someone by 'di' or 'bhaiya' rather than respect. maturity has nothing to do with it. its the age difference which actually matters. and it's entirely upto any individual to decide if this kind of addressing is appropriate or not.

but i like it...because it separates me from other ppl of my age in any other country...xcept japan ofcourseLOLthey follow the same way of addressingEmbarrassed

i mean it.Embarrassed dunno about anyone else.Embarrassed

it is worth following...because everyone gets their share of importance...its sometimes good to feel that the person respects you by addressing you as 'di' (even though they r many other ways to make you feel impLOL)but nowadays; ppl don't mean it..when they say it....and i wudn't like to be addressed as 'di' by such ppl.Embarrassed

take care,

devyani.Embarrassed

ta ta.Smile

Edited by drymaple - 01 February 2007 at 10:26am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top