CID

Interview:Shivagi[ACP Pratyuman]

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
INTERVIEW | SHIVAJI SATAM
Top Cop

We are inside the bureau of the C.I.D. office where an interesting scene is being shot. ACP Pradyuman and his colleagues Daya, Abhijeet and Fredricks are pondering over Arvind who is being sought for the murder of a woman. As the investigation progresses, it is discovered that there are two identical characters.Screen catches up with Shivaji Satam for a tete-a tete. Excerpts:
How did you manage to land up as ACP Pradyuman?
B P Singh and me have had close relations for the last 25 years. I remember I had just started my career when he came up to me and spoke of his intention to do a show called C.I.D divulging that I was his first choice to play the character. Since I was very closely associated with him, I thought this was the best opportunity for us to work together and hence agreed to do the role.
Did you take any special training to play this part?
I have been lucky, because the director knows what he wants his artistes to do. On that account, we don't have to do much homework and effort. He projects everything in a very simple but fantastic manner.
Did you think that the show will perform well?
Honestly, I had this gut feeling that C.I.D would surely catch the eye of the masses and be a hit. I still remember once, BP called me and asked 'how long will we go?' I told him with full confidence - say, another few years. Recently he called and asked me, how many more years to go? I told him - don't worry, we will continue for another five years!
C.I.D has been on air for a very long time. What's your take on that?
Naturally, it feels great. This show is very different than the others and by the amount of time it has been on air one can guage the success of the show. I still remember an incident when a small boy wished me on my birthday; and I was stunned beyond expectation to know that he actually knew my birthday, and had sent me a handwritten card that read - 'To ACP uncle.' This shows that how much you are being cared for. Small children look upon me as an ACP, who is always there to help them.
What goes beyond the success behind the show?
Of course, the team. I strongly believe that the whole unit will suffer a setback if any one of us is taken off from the cast. The best part is that we have become more like friends now; there is so much of leg-pulling, discussing ideas and sharing our sorrows. You can say we are a family.
Which were the cases that you enjoyed solving?
A tough question. All my cases are special to me. But to name a few, I would say there was this case where I went blind and was so helpless but with the help of my team, I could crack cases. Another one was on dowry deaths.The ACP is thought to be very 'stone-hearted' but I would say that he is just a man of principles. For him, duty comes before relationships.
What is 'Operation Talaash' you have been voicing about recently?
Actually, the C.I.D. team is looking out for two people in their team-a male and a female. We, at Sony, have launched a massive hunt (talaash) for the same from all over the country by which we are inviting entries through SMSs. Of all the entries one lucky male and a female will find their place in the C.I.D. team.According to what I have heard, Sony has received over 5000 applications so far.
What do you do in your free time?
I am a cricketer, then there are times when I just love to laze around. I also do my bit of the home front like dusting and by evening I turn a social animal- visiting friends and as night approaches I love to wind up reading or may be watching Marathi plays and films.
You have done a numbar of Marathi films. Are you still acting in them?
The Maharashtra State best actor award is the latest feather in my cap, for the Marathi film Ek Hoti Vadi. Having won other awards in various categories from the State as well as the Alpha and the Sahitya Sangh, I feel that awards here do not help one professionally, though they are definitely good for one's ego and self-confidence.
You have done a number of Hindi films too.
(pauses) I have done several good films like the hapless husband in Hu Tu Tu, a politician in Kurukshetra, the honest framed cop in Daag—The Fire and the sympathetic cop in Filhaal. Not to say the least I have constantly featured in Mahesh Manjrekar's films from Vaastav to Pran Jaaye Par Chaal Na Jaaye. I was to play Gracy Singh's father in Aamir Khan's Lagaan but due to date problems, I refused friend and fellow CID officer Ashutosh Gowariker. I even played a paedophile in Split Wide Open. I am a director's actor.
Don't you regret not getting an award for Hindi films?
I was nominated twice; one for Ghulam-e-Mustafa and the second for Nidaan. But I was a little skeptical and had an inkling that I would never win. Being nominated was enough though!
You are a familiar face to Marathi theatre audiences.
Yes, I have done plays like Savitri, Mahasaagar, Khandobache Lagin, Swapna Gaane Sample and the latest Dhyaani Mani which won for me the State Best Actor Award.
Did you take any formal training in acting?
No, acting was never a childhood dream. But I firmly believe that every Marathi lad has an actor in him, right from childhood when he is exposed to films, plays and television. When watching any scene, he always thinks how he would have done it himself. Of course, few enter showbiz while the rest are avid theatre and film buffs.
How come you are a perfectionist.
My childhood interest in theatre came about thanks to the Ganeshotsav festivals in my locality, during which I used to perform constantly. Once, my friends persuaded me to act in one of the plays. This made me really happy. Noted Marathi stage direcor Bal Dhuri was chief guest on the occasion and he was impressed. Later, he offered me a professional play Sangeet Vardaan, a musical, as a substitute for an actor who had some problem. To tell you honestly, I had turned down the offer but my friends forced me to agree.
How do you approach a role?
I have lots of inhibitions. My directors are slowly removing them. Mahesh, for example, is the only director who never repeats a role for me. Even if I play a father, he makes sure the shades are different every time.
Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
kool..thanks for sharing! 😉
Shakstar thumbnail