Gradutation, degree etc the point? - Page 3

Posted: 10 years ago
Quirky _ as a graduate, i can only advise you to get any kind of experience you can possibly get, even as voluntary in your OWN field (. The problem with me at the moment is that although i have experience in most fields at simple position but i have none in my own field of study even as voluntary position , I am smart that way eh? πŸ˜† . 

@ Mr K.

I understand the employers situation in hiring fresh grads since they mostly lack exposure in their field. I blame the education and university for that, what is the point of going to university if they won't expose you to the job nature? I think, every course should have placements and every student should get the chance to either voluntary work in their field or their course should at least be registered and recognised with the professionals. The vocational courses offer you that, and let me tell you my scene. I spent four years of my life doing undergrad, in science degree. I obtained my degree from a good university, BUT my course was not even accredited or registered. I made the mistake of going to a completely different degree, vocational course at Msc level, where i did get placements, LOTS of placement but unfortunately i don't enjoy the nature of work and struggled due to intensive, fast track course nature. I am now left with, a degree that is not accredited and Postgrad experience in placement that nobody will give a damn about.  πŸ˜† Brilliant situation? 

Most of my friends at my age are living in a better condition than me atm, where they are either professionally or personally settled.  However i can only just say i am unique in myself for making mistakes all my life, and hoping one day, i will make the right choices or get the right opportunities πŸ˜†

Ps there is no such thing as failure  in life, it is only feedback :)!
Originally posted by Vintage.Wine

77 ?  ...Hahaha ..I knew it ...πŸ˜†.. You won't let go off a chance to mock ME like that in public ..Cause you know I can't count beyond 19 or may be 20 ...Right ? ..  ..Thanks for reminding me of that ...

Yeah ..Mail Me privately on [email protected]   and continue the mocking there ...  ..

Vintu ...πŸ˜›

Ps:  You are Evil ...

Gotcha - I seem to have set a benchmark.. You never had to reject one's application more than 19/20 times until mine came along.  Surely a lot less evil than you, Monsieur. πŸ˜†

vintu@"rejectedapplicants".org .. Wth, I'm sorry but I ain't keen on adding my self to the list of rejected applicants. Nice try. Um, lets give... Snail Mail a go ?  πŸ˜†  

Originally posted by Gumrah...

Quirky _ as a graduate, i can only advise you to get any kind of experience you can possibly get, even as voluntary in your OWN field (. The problem with me at the moment is that although i have experience in most fields at simple position but i have none in my own field of study even as voluntary position , I am smart that way eh? πŸ˜† . 

Yep, of course  - Once I narrow it down to that one field I want to be a part of. Goes to show how indecisive I am.
You've tried&tested enough fields already, now you have all the time to focus on that one field.. doesn't sound too bad. πŸ˜†

edit

Edited by _Angie_ - 10 years ago
Originally posted by _Angie_

edit

I am curious, what you edit? πŸ˜†
Originally posted by .Quirky.Feline.

Yep, of course  - Once I narrow it down to that one field I want to be a part of. Goes to show how indecisive I am.
You've tried&tested enough fields already, now you have all the time to focus on that one field.. doesn't sound too bad. πŸ˜†

The fearless *Dabaangs* like us, aren't afraid of spending their entire life in debt and exploring and learning from each experience πŸ˜‰. I am very rich in experience, my bank balance says the opposite though lol . Sometimes, I look at my financial situation and make myself feel better by listening to real, I mean real depressing music πŸ˜† other days, like today I look at my life and say, it is not perfect but I will never want to swap my life, my experiences with anyone else. I may not have money, but I have amazing friends and supportive family and their love is uncapped!

Good news to all, Especially for King anu who was the first to respond to my thread, I have something! I am volunteering right now and getting to learn a lot! Again, money vs experience for me, always rich in latter only LOL  πŸ˜†
Originally posted by Gumrah...

I am curious, what you edit? πŸ˜†

Your post is so true... it is hard to get a leg in the door in a lot of fields. However, it would definitely depend on the field. I can only talk about 2 - accounting/finance since my sister went down that path and medicine (what I am in). Also, I only know about the US πŸ˜›
Anyways, getting to the point... it's all about the resume these days! As a lot of people have said, unpaid internships are your friend!!! My sister went to a good undergrad, had great scores and everything, but the thing that landed her that first job right after graduation was interning at an accounting office locally! It was a bit annoying to work long hours as that person who got all the coffee runs and lowest of jobs! But the recs that came out of it and having that on her resume (even though she actually didn't do much of anything there), got her the job! It's all about the resume padding nowadays in most fields... So, yea the not getting paid part sucks, but it's the only way to be competitive in the job market!
As far as medicine goes... you'll be dying for a break and they'll laugh in your face and send you to the next step! So, I think this field has the highest job security πŸ˜† but yea, the student debt is horrible... 
Edited by |Persephone| - 10 years ago

Jokes apart, resumes are definitely important as that would be a candidate's   first introduction for the prospective employers.  As for the internships they need not be unpaid. At least in the medicine field the interns manage to get a respectable amount;  all the same it would be worth to do internship from a  well reputed place irrespective of the stipend as the experience gained (depending on the motivation and interest level of the candidate)   adds to ones confidence in addition to the resume. Theoretical knowledge gained at the university level is quite inadequate in a real setting as many have discovered.  One learns a lot of things on the job so getting that break would be crucial and one should make the best of it. The medicine field has the added advantage of various options  like research, clinical, teaching, or even setting up your own practice.

Another field where internship plays a crucial role is the legal field. Without good contacts it is often difficult to get into a good firm even for free , that is , without any stipend!   People there do not care much for novices who may be  rather considered as quite bothersome. But the experience gained or not gained during the semester breaks  can make or break you once you are through with the actual course and into the job market. Priority at that time ought to be on learning rather than earning ...this is in context to the Indian scenario where its the parents who usually take care of  the children's educational expenses. The situation may be definitely be more difficult where the student has to fund his own education.

The engineering field has it quite tough as far as India is considered.  Before choosing one's optional fields it would do well to check the market demand. The Actuarial science is one field which seems to have a bright  future with  the various insurance cos coming to into the picture . The hospitality industry  offers a wide variety  of options usually with good exposure.

@ Gumrah... Not to discourage anyone but I am curious about why a person would go for an unregistered  or unrecognised  grad  or post grad course !!!  A person usually has some idea about what one would do after completing a 3-5 year course and I guess it would be reasonable to expect them to check the credentials  of the course as well as university  before dedicating those many years  .

I'm still waiting for the day that I will actually use x + why +8 [(x + 2y = a-z] + 2x + (- 2z = 2. 4) + 10y - 5Z = k= 9 in real lifeπŸ˜›