Gradutation, degree etc the point?

Posted: 11 years ago

Okay I have been checking student forums, where graduates have been complaining about the competitive job market and their struggles to find a job that pays even the minimum wage. The atmosphere on the student forum was too blue so switched to debate mansion for some quality debates on what is the point of a degree these days?

From personal experience, today i got an email to inform me that they regret to let me know my application has been unsuccessful for X position. When i called them up to question why that was the case, they told me that although i meet the necessary qualifications, but there were other people who applied, with more experience than me. I had higher qualifications than specified, but my lack of experience put me at disadvantage, hence they rejected me . 

My debate. How are you suppose to get experience without being given the opportunity?applications, say they don't discriminate and equal opportunities is given to everyone, but they discriminate because of experience? Talking about application forms, if they don't discriminate why would they bother to  ask about your ethnic background, disability, religion gender, age etc? Why is that important to know before the application has even been processed?  Discrimination is done by putting a disclaimer ! ðŸ˜†  

EDITED to put a toothless laughing emotican. Life is a joke, isn't it? ðŸ˜†

Edited by Gumrah... - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
My suggestion would be to work as a volunteer for few months and therefore gain experience that way. You tend to gain trust of employers and also make connections.

If this is not possible then you have to keep trying. Hopefully there will be oppurtunities later. Also there is no shame in doing something lesser than what you deserve to do for short period of time. Meanwhile do courses and add to your qualifications. I noticed there are numerous online resources available for that.

I recently completed an online course. Right now I am doing 3 online courses. lol. Learning a lot.

So dont loose hope. I think degree/education is definitely valuable. 1) It makes you confident 2) In the long run it is useful

Good luck.
Edited by King-Anu - 11 years ago
King anu, i am  a person who loves studying. I am forever a student, however to do courses, you need money.  I have no money to do any course at the moment, not even those short 5 weeks period course. I  have already got myself in student loans with further education, and i can't take the risk of getting myself in debt. My unemployment status of 0K will hopefully change in future and then i can take the pleasure of doing my courses and adding to my qualification list and building my resume! ðŸ˜ƒ

Money and relationship both not working in my favour at the moment LOL, 2013 i wonder if the number 13 is really my lucky number now. ðŸ˜†
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Gumrah...

King anu, i am  a person who loves studying. I am forever a student, however to do courses, you need money.  I have no money to do any course at the moment, not even those short 5 weeks period course. I  have already got myself in student loans with further education, and i can't take the risk of getting myself in debt. My unemployment status of 0K will hopefully change in future and then i can take the pleasure of doing my courses and adding to my qualification list and building my resume! ðŸ˜ƒ

Money and relationship both not working in my favour at the moment LOL, 2013 i wonder if the number 13 is really my lucky number now. ðŸ˜†

Yes courses are very expensive here in US. Please check out the links that I have put up there. It mentions 3 online resoources which are affiliated with major universities in US and all over the world. They offer FREE courses. The problem is there are no credits. lol. However ver few offer credits if you pay a fee.

What you get is a) knowledge and b) a certificate of completion

Now that might not be important for many as obviously its not like you are getting credit. Still if one has time and then this is great service. You get lectures, notes, exams, quizzes etc. I got one certificate.

Anyway I understand your situation. Can only wish you well. Time will sort things for the better. tc
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Okay I have been checking student forums, where graduates have been complaining about the competitive job market and their struggles to find a job that pays even the minimum wage. The atmosphere on the student forum was too blue so switched to debate mansion for some quality debates on what is the point of a degree these days?

From personal experience, today i got an email to inform me that they regret to let me know my application has been unsuccessful for X position. When i called them up to question why that was the case, they told me that although i meet the necessary qualifications, but there were other people who applied, with more experience than me. I had higher qualifications than specified, but my lack of experience put me at disadvantage, hence they rejected me . 

My debate. How are you suppose to get experience without being given the opportunity?applications, say they don't discriminate and equal opportunities is given to everyone, but they discriminate because of experience? Talking about application forms, if they don't discriminate why would they bother to  ask about your ethnic background, disability, religion gender, age etc? Why is that important to know before the application has even been processed?  Discrimination is done by putting a disclaimer ! ðŸ˜†  

your last line makes a lot of sense .. life is Joke.. no one should take it too seriously..
I know its easier said than done but from my experience don't think about the things that worry you..
for example stop looking for love and it'll come looking for you from all sides 😊..
you sound peaceful that's more important to achieve.. anxiety is toxic..

if you have time spend building you health or learn singing or whatever interests you..

Edited by lonely0planet - 11 years ago
Vintage.Wine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

That's a serious situation you have on hand ..If I were you I woulda written an Email to their highest honcho. Wait I ll write one here for your reference.. 

To the CEO ...

Dear Sir,

I'm afraid but I must say that's a scummy reason you gave me for rejecting my job application. I can prove to you right now that I can do many things, accomplish many tasks pretty neatly without any experience... I was born without any prior experience ..I successfully failed my first test in grade 4 without any experience .. ...I didn't get caught when I stole my dad's wallet for the first time ..What more proof do you need to know that I am brilliant nuff to handle every job...

And your rejection?  Its the proof that you have no experience in handling people like me ...and getting the work done from us ...you losers ...Or may be you are scared that I ll one day better your performance and become more prominent than you guys out there ...You cowards ...

People like you are the greatest burden on Nation's economy ...You just want innocent people like me to remain jobless and rely upon the social security benefits all our lives and endure the stigma that ensues after to that ..Now don't ya guys think that Imma take this issue lightly ..I ll sell everything ..Even my neighbor's belongings and buy common stock of your company so that you ll be left with no choice but to invite me to your annual general meeting ..Where I ll chuck rotten eggs and tomatoes at you ...So you guys better look out for me ... 

Vintu...

Ps:  Hey ! You can use this Email letter freely without asking me that and I bet they ll be mortified and offer you the job ..😊

boreddamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Haven't read other comments, so sorry if this is a repeat. 

I think it depends a lot on your field. 

In the software industry, most companies are very particular on what requirements they have for the position... and there are jobs available especially for fresh college recruits. Of course there are cases where people with more experience are chosen, in that case, that will be mentioned in the requirements list ..

I am doing a PhD now, and I know for sure it doesn't ensure I will get a better job than someone without a PhD. All my friends, who continued to work, got promoted so many times and are earning so much .. while I am here with no money and working day and night with almost no vacation.. and why? Because it makes me happy . So I would say follow your heart with regards to higher studies. After the PhD (if at all I manage to finish!) hopefully I will at least get a job that is as good as the one I got after my undergrad! ðŸ˜† 

You would expect no discriminations to happen during recruitment 🤔 Answers to those questions are used as a tie breaker of sorts. Software companies are very big on diversity.. people beg me to apply to their groups because I am a woman 😆 , but of course that doesn't guarantee I get the job if there are better qualified men! But if I am as competent as the men who apply, then as a woman I would get a preference, especially if they are short on women in that group. The same with a foreign national, when they apply to a group that is predominantly American. 

Recruitments are a tough phase, that much I can tell you. Unfortunately I think it depends a lot on the mood of the person who reviews your application or interviews you! Uggh.. I hate rejection letters.. ! I used to open a letter and check whether they were pleased or do they regret and if it says that they had regrets, then I just throw away the letter. 

All I can say is hang in there, and not be disappointed with rejects!
Just remember that if someone rejected you, its their loss not yours ðŸ˜‰
Good luck! 

Edited.. I just saw this.
"Why is that important to know before the application has even been processed?"
Thats because companies/colleges keep a count of number of applicants  .. and they collect demographic info for their own benefit .. for advertisement or to keep track of trends.. 
Don't worry.. they will ask you all that even after you get selected. No matter how many times you have entered that info, you will be asked the same things again and again. ðŸ˜† Oh the joys of applying for grad school/jobs! ðŸ¤”

I also noticed you talked about money for college. Some colleges provide scholarships, some give partial fee waiver.. you can also do parttime jobs on campus, even if you are on a visa. Even otherwise, you should be able to pay off loans once you get a job or with multiple internships. And its normal for college students to be in debt ..  I know so many who have been in debt (even when they had complete scholarships) at least once in their grad school life.. 😆 you get used to it after a while.. just make sure you make good friends who are willing to help out in your time of need! 
Edited by boreddamsel - 11 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

^Experience matters!!😊  it is a wonderful thing... It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again...😆

As per my MNC company experience,most of the company love trainees cos small pay, no commitment,company can assign trainees different client location as a dummy Tech/functional support, can give lots of faltu works to them,like documentation, small coding n other works, those who like to do hard work they learn more others just do time pass,six month or one year then move to another company with out any gain.😊

@King Anu- The best thing about online classes is the beer/Can eat/can sit anywhere ðŸ˜›

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

That's a serious situation you have on hand ..If I were you I woulda written an Email to their highest honcho. Wait I ll write one here for your reference.. 

To the CEO ...

Dear Sir,

I'm afraid but I must say that's a scummy reason you gave me for rejecting my job application. I can prove to you right now that I can do many things, accomplish many tasks pretty neatly without any experience... I was born without any prior experience ..I successfully failed my first test in grade 4 without any experience .. ...I didn't get caught when I stole my dad's wallet for the first time ..What more proof do you need to know that I am brilliant nuff to handle every job...

And your rejection?  Its the proof that you have no experience in handling people like me ...and getting the work done from us ...you losers ...Or may be you are scared that I ll one day better your performance and become more prominent than you guys out there ...You cowards ...

People like you are the greatest burden on Nation's economy ...You just want innocent people like me to remain jobless and rely upon the social security benefits all our lives and endure the stigma that ensues after to that ..Now don't ya guys think that Imma take this issue lightly ..I ll sell everything ..Even my neighbor's belongings and buy common stock of your company so that you ll be left with no choice but to invite me to your annual general meeting ..Where I ll chuck rotten eggs and tomatoes at you ...So you guys better look out for me ... 

Vintu...

Ps:  Hey ! You can use this Email letter freely without asking me that and I bet they ll be mortified and offer you the job ..😊

Is that experience speaking ? ðŸ˜² If yes then it does  make  difference , doesnt it   😆
Edited by _Angie_ - 11 years ago
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

My debate. How are you suppose to get experience without being given the opportunity?applications, say they don't discriminate and equal opportunities is given to everyone, but they discriminate because of experience? Talking about application forms, if they don't discriminate why would they bother to  ask about your ethnic background, disability, religion gender, age etc? Why is that important to know before the application has even been processed?
Discrimination is done by putting a disclaimer ! ðŸ˜†  

This is the most frustrating situation for many college grads, and it's true that many employers won't hire you unless you have experience. And it's also true that you may not have any experience in your field unless your given the opportunity.  But I believe it takes one employer to give you that first chance to get that much needed experience. First-impression is everything in a job interview! There are some employers out there who don't care if you have experience, as long as you're willing to learn and are self-motivated, you'll be hired on the spot. And I also believe that having worked full-time in your field doesn't mean you don't have any experience! It's a win-win situation.

Edited by -Aarya- - 11 years ago