Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-2 (Page 16)

Post Reply New Post

Page 16 of 38

wildcat1994

wildcat1994

Posted: 28 June 2013 at 12:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by frosty

I thought the names of ganesh's wives were riddhi and siddhi. Who is budhi?

there is lot of confusion regarding that...some puranas mention riddhi-siddhi to be d wives of ganesh while others believe it be siddhi-buddhi...in the north, siddhi-buddhi story is more prevelant, so i guess that is y d serial is showing them!!!!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

frostyThe.Patthaaka.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-2 (Page 16)" in Devon ke Dev Mahadev forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 28 June 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by wildcat1994

Originally posted by .Vrish.

In fact, Shiva Purana mentions 2 Andhakas - one is the son who was ultimately forgiven and made a gana, while the other was a midget asura like Raktabheej whose blood touching the ground would create new asuras, and whose blood Mahadev collected in a bowl to prevent it from spilling.

the shiv purana i read is ancient n ancestral...it does not mention any andhak...forget two!!! n according to my grand-mom that purana should be of around the 9th century!!!!

This is where I read about them

There is another Andhaka, which was the midget asura (which I described above), which I couldn't find in the above site, but which I had read about

wildcat1994

wildcat1994

Posted: 28 June 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged
vrish...u may have read it...i m not sayin its false...just that d original 1,00,000 shlokas shiv purana does not mention andhak...but nonetheless, he is popular in folklores in north and rajasthan...i have heard of him too...but not in d puranas!!!!

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 28 June 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged
Wildcat, I know that you were not saying that it's false.  But the links that I provided are links to the Shiva Purana.  Unless it's demonstrated that that version is wrong

Surya_krsnbhakt

IF-Dazzler

Surya_krsnbhakt

Posted: 30 June 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged
I have completed the story of Andhaka in Page 13. You can have a look. And Kriti (I looked up your profile name), even though Andhaka may not be in Shiva Purana, it is mentioned in other Puranas. So even if it may be folklore, if it contains devotion to Lord SHiva and his leelas, you can take it as a authentic story. (If not real, as a means to learn more about lord Shiva's grace).

Originally posted by Surya_krsnbhakt

Ok this is not exactly a doubt, but does anyone have the ORIGINAL SHiva Purana? Like, either the Sanskrit original, or the exact translation?
Can someone answer this question also? I think Kriti, you said you have the original no?
Hell-ooo...

Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 03 July 2013 at 6:59am

Surya_krsnbhakt

IF-Dazzler

Surya_krsnbhakt

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged
Hey, I know this doubt/discussion is very late,but I just read the Srimad Bhagavatam chapter about Samudra Mathana, it is said that Dakshayani ie. Sati was there, not Parvati.
So did Samudra Mathana take place before Sati's death?

The sloka given is:

nisamya karma tac chambhor

deva-devasya midhushah

praja dakshayani brahma

vaikunthas ca sasamsire

Now here Daksayani is used, whereas in other places Uma, Bhavani etc is used. So are Uma and BHavani epithets of Sati also?

And does this mean that Parvati came after Vamana avatar???? (Because after Kurma the next avatara is Vamana)

And does this mean that even Narasimha avatara took place before Parvati was born???

Then how was Andhakasura born?

Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 05 July 2013 at 6:22am

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 7:46am | IP Logged
I think you meant to say varaha - not vamana.

The avatars in SB are not described in chronological order. For instance the description of Varaha avatar precedes Matsya avatars.

Edited by varaali - 05 July 2013 at 7:46am

Surya_krsnbhakt

IF-Dazzler

Surya_krsnbhakt

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

I think you meant to say varaha - not vamana.

The avatars in SB are not described in chronological order. For instance the description of Varaha avatar precedes Matsya avatars.

LOLI purposely put Vamana, because I knew someone would point it out.
After Kurma, the next Avatara is Vamana, not Varaha. Varaha is the first avatar. The order described in the Dasavatara is not chronological.
Anyways, back to my question. So does anyone know why it is so?

Post Reply New Post

Go to top