Debate Mansion

Boston Marathon and JFK Library Blasts

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

I ask what has the world come to?!! Now blasts have started happening in a marathon and library?!! Pray for those who died or are injured and hope for the culprits to be caught and harshly punished!

Boston Marathon Blasts Kill 2, Police Say

BOSTON — A series of explosions was reported near the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday, leaving two people dead and at least two dozen injured, according to the Boston Police Department.

A third explosion was heard just before 4 p.m., about an hour after the first two blasts. The police were apparently aware of that device before the explosion occurred.

The blasts took place about four hours after the start of the men's race, which meant that there were still several thousand runners yet to finish the race. One senior counterterrorism official said it was too soon to tell whether the explosions were related to terrorism.

The Boston police confirmed they were looking into the explosions, but made no further comment. Another senior United States government official said that the Boston police and the F.B.I. said they had received no reports in recent days about a threat of an attack on the marathon and that there was no warning on Monday.

Several news outlets reported that a loud explosion was heard on the north side of Boylston Street, near a photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion was heard several seconds later.

The Associated Press reported that authorities were helping injured runners leave the scene and that bloodied spectators were being carried to a medical tent that was being used for runners.

Bruce Mendelsohn, who works in a building near the explosion, said on Twitter that he saw blood on the sidewalks and about a dozen casualties.

Authorities in large cities are typically on the highest level of alert for events like a marathon, said Anthony Roman, a security expert.

"It is quite the counterterrorism effort," said Mr. Roman, who runs Roman & Associates, a New York firm.

For major events in New York and other large cities, Mr. Roman said the police would typically weld manhole covers shut and examine the entire route just before the race. They would also place snipers on rooftops, with helicopters overhead, and analytic cameras in the city would be used, he said.

"They have all the analytic cameras in the city focusing on the race with their advanced software network, reading license plates," Mr. Roman said.

The Boston Marathon is one of track's most storied events, established in 1897 and one of the six World Marathon Majors. The event typically attracts an estimated 500,000 spectators and requires certain qualifying times for runners to compete.

The course winds throughout downtown Boston as well as several outlying cities, including Ashland, Framingham, Natick, Wellesley and Newton.

Unlike many sporting events that take place in closed arenas, marathons are known and heralded for their sprawl, allowing throngs of spectators to line the 26.2-mile course.

Within minutes of the explosions on Monday, social media and cable networks projected the images of gray smoke on Boylston Street, with emergency crews on the scene.

After the explosions, a spokesman for the New York Police Department said security was being increased at hotels and other prominent locations in New York.

Reporting was contributed by Steve Eder, William K. Rashbaum and Mary Pilon from New York, and Eric Schmitt from Washington.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minionite thumbnail

Blasts near Boston Marathon kill 2; injury toll rising

(CNN) -- Blasts near the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed two people and injured more than 20 others Monday, Boston police said.

"It felt like a huge cannon," a witness told CNN about one of the blasts.

The marathon itself, on its Facebook page, referred to the blasts as bombs. Authorities did not say immediately what caused the explosions.

Massachusetts General Hospital said it was treating 19 injured people; Tufts Medical Center reported that it was treating nine people. Combined, that brings the number of injured to at least 28. Police reported 22 people injured.

The explosions sent smoke billowing into the air at Copley Square, turning a site of celebration into a mess of destruction.

Crowds had gathered in the area to watch the runners.

Out of an abundance of caution, the Lenox Hotel was evacuated, the Boston Globe reported, as authorities looked into possible security concerns.

"We are currently in contact with federal, state and city officials," Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick wrote on Twitter.

Other cities, including New York and Washington, tightened security as a result. Following standard protocol, the White House cleared out an area in front of the West Wing.

"If you see something, say something," Mark Boughton, mayor of Canbury, Connecticut, wrote on Twitter. "All cities will be on a heightened state of alertness per Homeland Security protocols."

Mike Baingon, who works at the Atlantic Fish Company in Boston, said an explosion took place in front of the restaurant and that he was right by the front door at the time.

The explosions occurred at about 2:45 p.m., more than two hours after the first of the race's nearly 27,000 runners had crossed the finish line, CNN Producer Matt Frucci reported.

The race was halted as was subway service into the area.

Runners east of Massachusetts Avenue were directed to Boston Common; those west of Massachusetts Avenue were directed to Kenmore Square, the state's emergency management agency said.

Troops from the Massachusetts National Guard were assisting police as well.

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

It was so sad..why in the earth will someone do that? That too on a event arranged for charity. 

Sick world!

My prayers goes to the victims and their family:(

Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
RIP to the many that have died in this unfortunate event.  Edited by Angel-Jot. - 11 years ago
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thank you so much for this thread.

What a disgusting world we live in.

For the past so many months we have been hearing about shootings and so many innocent lives being taken. :/

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the VT shootings.

And now we hear about this. Terrorist attack or not, what happened is extremely terrible. So many lives injured...And a few just lost their lives. I just heard an 8 year old was one of them...How awful and sad.

Praying for all those that have been affected by these blasts. Keeping everyone in Boston affected in my thoughts and prayers.

No innocent life should be lost in such a tragic way.

Hope everyone stays safe and hope whoever is behind this mess gets the most harshest punishment ever!!! </3

My heart breaks to hear such news.

Edit to add: My good friend said she was in the exact spot of the bomb 10 minutes before it blasted. Extremely scary. :(
Edited by Cutiepie Rani - 11 years ago
.Angel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
only God know what this world is coming to, this is so sad :(

my prayers and thought are with each and everyone affected by this horrible thing😭

may God reward whoever did this in a terrible terrible way.

gk_09 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
My prayers go out to Boston and those who have been effected by this tragedy.

I am absolutely disgusted ... what has this world come too?
Edited by gk_09 - 11 years ago
gurti4ever thumbnail
My heart goes to victims of Boston marathon what a tragedy more than  100 are injured n a 8yrs old died what is world coming 2.
VishaD. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 7
Seriously, what is the world coming to these days 
RosyRosh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Finally.. was waiting for someone to make a post and have it GA'ed... (BTW: i think the title should just read Boston Marathon Blasts. because I think JFK is still being investigated as to whether it was related or not 🤔..some sources saying it was a technical malfunction and not related to the attacks)

IM BEYOND ANGRY.. when i first heard i was just PRAYING it was some kind of natural occurance and maybe accident... but then as news grew .. it just is SO OBVIOUS now that it is a TERRORIST attack.. although our President and the WHite house is being VERY careful in using that word without FULL perspective and information..

either case CNN is reporting 132+ injuries! MANY critical and at least 2 deceased. 

This is SICKENING to me. We have terrorism all the time and Im referring to SHOOTINGs in particular because for me that is also terroism.. but today.. it just REALLY hit me because it took me back to 9/11. Only because this is the FIRST MAJOR at home terrorist attack SINCE 9/11. (bombings related of course)

I cannot even put my HURT and ANGUISH and ANGER into words anymore... Im AWESTRUCK. WHY is all i wonder. WHY!? 

In any case, im 100% confident in my President, in the officials running my country, in everyone involved with counter-terroism.. im CONFIDENT that they will bring those responsible to JUSTICE. 

I am also confident in the PEOPLE of America who time and time again have PROVED themselves to be an EXAMPLE of TRUE heroism, STREGNTH, courage, resilience, and PRIDE who will stand UP to whatever obstacles, sufferings, adversities that will come our way an will RISE above to SHUT the mouths of EVERY HATE-FILLED monster in this world. 

God Bless USA...

times like this when the WORST happens, and i still see GOOD in mankind through people HELPING, and running BACk to crime-scenes to SAVE someone ELSE .. lend a stranger HIS SHIRT to STOP the bleeding.. is when I am TRULY proud of my COUNTRY and PROUD to be and AMERICAN.. and ALSO have faith in mankind... there is ALWAYS a ray of hope at times like these.. a light at the end of a VERY LONG and DARK tunnel.. 
Edited by LoveRosh - 11 years ago