Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

*Shruti*

Global Moderator

*Shruti*

Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:35am | IP Logged
"I've grown up watching CID and reading dad's scripts"

They are the backbone of any television production. They not only conceive award winning shows but also have the foresight to gauge their potential.They also provide the moolah that keeps these shows alive and kicking for years. In this column, we speak to some of the most vibrant producers who have made shows that have set trends in the television industry and try to find out what makes them tick!

Expectations rise sky high when a famous scriptwriter's son steps into the same profession. Salil, son of writer-cum-producer-cum-director BP Singh (whom the media industry looks up to as an epitome of perfection), has ventured into television with scriptwriting and direction. He has already scripted a few episodes of CID, and his first short film titled, The Girl which got selected for the New York Film Festival.
For Salil, television is not only a passion, but a medium to lend out his creative instincts since the age of ten. And that's not all; he's also acted on the small screen during his college days.

Kavita Shyam spoke to the budding scriptwriter…Excerpts.

"Frequenting film festivals has molded my aspirations"

My training ground……
As a child, I used to visit sets and slowly harboured interest for writing and direction. I did my schooling from Bombay Cambridge School and graduated in psychology from K. C. College. I have also done a course in script writing from Xavier's Institute of Communication (XIC) and later got myself enrolled in FTII, Pune for a one-year course in film direction. Also, reading my dad's scripts has made me what I am. Besides, I used to frequent film festivals which played a crucial role in molding my aspirations.

My career so far...…
I was an assistant director for Sony's Achanak 36 Saal Baad (two years back). I have made a short film titled, The Girl, which was screened overseas and got selected for the New York Film Festival 2004. Meanwhile, I used to pen many scripts, but most of them got rejected. So finally, after a lot of hard work, when one of my scripts got approved for Sony's CID, I was on cloud nine.

CID
I've been following CID for years, which has helped me in getting the screenplay and dialogues right. It helps me know the essential ingredients to make a successful show. My first script for CID, that I just mentioned, was Monsoon Mystery.

My acting stint…..
I've acted in serials when I was in college. I have acted with Arun Govil in Kya Yeh Sach Hai (for UES channel) and then I did Dehshat for B4U channel (eight years back), followed by Khakhi (Channel Gold). I have also done a cameo of a drug addict in CID.

TV is….
In my opinion TV has the potential of doing more than what its doing now. Earlier, television was an ocean of new ideas but today the programming quality is suffering, though the quantity is improving. The sensibility and pace of shows has changed too. I feel channels like NDTV Profit and Star One who promote and encourage short film directors and scriptwriters are doing a great job as they

"Writing and direction go hand in glove"

recognize the true talent in India. There are hordes of channels cropping up everyday wherein the talent gets lost also its very important to market oneself if one has to reach anywhere.

My belief….
I believe that writing and direction go hand-in-glove. Also, if one is a good writer, then there is no dearth of work on television.

My inspiration….
My dad, but of course! He is a powerhouse of knowledge. He is someone who is respected tremendously as a senior person and knows the working of the industry thoroughly. Besides dad, Shreeram Raghavan (director of the Bollywood flick Ek Hasina Thi) whom I've earlier assisted has been a great teacher for me.

Dreams unlimited…
Since childhood I wanted to get into the creative field so I'd write short stories since the age of ten. I am also into penning a few scripts for films. So let's see, if all goes well then I would want to make films, which is my ultimate goal. I want to be a successful director in future.

Other passions
I am a total sports freak. I love to play cricket, football and baseball. I read books (adventure based novels) and have the habit of writing my thoughts everyday. Catching up with movies is also something that I do in free time.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

jeet.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "I've grown up watching CID-BP's son" in CID forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

anishma24

IF-Sizzlerz

anishma24

Posted: 28 July 2006 at 7:44am | IP Logged
thanks shruti !!

Priyank.

IF-Sizzlerz

Priyank.

Posted: 28 July 2006 at 5:47pm | IP Logged
thanx for sharing

umi82990

IF-Sizzlerz