India-Forums

Diya Aur Baati Hum
Diya Aur Baati Hum

*Amar Akbar Anthony*

MisscoolEyes Goldie
MisscoolEyes
MisscoolEyes

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 2:04am | IP Logged
It was a drawing competition. I must have been in grade 2 or 3. The topic was " Unity in Diversity in India". I came up with a tricolor in the background and three kids in the front. One kid whom I named Amar greeted everyone with a Namasthe. The second kid name Akbar wore the cap Muslim men wear during Namaz and the third kid whom I had name as Anthony had a chain around his neck which had a cross as pendant. This was my idea of unity in diversity in India. so would it be for a lot of us here. we were raised hearing stuff like " Ramzan mein Ram hai aur Diwali mein Ali ". I grew up happily reading stories from the bible, the heroic deeds of Mahabharata as well as the journeys of prophet Mohammed.eating the pongal on sankranthi, celebrating wid with the kheer friends offered and having cakes in Christmas and New Years was a common place thing.

Ahh, I wish the society was as simple as that even after you came out of the fantasy land called childhood. No conservative family be it a Hindu family or a Islamic family or a Christian family or any other religion followed by people will find it that easy to accept people from other religion as a family member that easily. Forget about the religious perspective, think about the amount of adjustments a person has to make. a Christian Emily who has been brought up with food containing meat on a regular basis will find it extremely hard to believe that a Bhabo doesn't even touch egg!!

DABH has taken a very bold issue. I don't know what might be the outcome of this track. but I must applaud the team DABH for even daring to come up with a issue like this. this is one issue which is faced by a lot of families irrespective of their educational or financial status in the society. 

what happened today in DABH was something wonderful. A Maasa who doesn't even know the background of Emily, just accepts her to be a Hindu and teaches her like every mother would have taught the family traditions to her daughter. Bhabo has taught chavi, Bhabo even taught an ignorant Sandhya in the first year. But now it's Emily. the only difference is she's a Christian. But being Christian doesn't make her intellect low, she has the same capability to learn as chavi and Sandhya.

Nobody was born with all the knowledge about their respective religion. religion at the end of the day is a set of practices and believes that a certain set of people follow and believe. every new generation needs to be taught about these practices and then through several years of following of the same set of rules, an individual becomes a Hindu or a Muslim or a Christina or a Buddhist or any other person following any other religion. 

The fact I enjoyed about today's episode was, in Emily I saw a new-born child trying to know everything and grasp everything and in Maasa a older generation trying to imbibe her beliefs to the younger lot. It so happens by chance that Maasa's beliefs fall into a category called Hinduism and the category of beliefs that Emily has been following till now is termed as Christianity. 

Will it ever be possible to find a even path where nobody is at loss? They say love is greater than anything else. Unfortunately, Emily's love here is Mohit.we can only wait and see what happens.

The following 24 member(s) liked the above post:

ishupadmasjnppreeti73Pappu.TheCoolDocSidalexxab2011akku8910timepassshehjarDEBOLINA96Lins_Love-SamiR-Deebzfarhana874vish.narenUMDUFizakMJV2nitish95-Liebe-hunnybunchFatima_Qthala

shehjar Goldie
shehjar
shehjar

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 2:43am | IP Logged
Naina u never fail to impress me with ur thought provoking threads .
Hats off to ur writing skill
God bless u always
Let me read it again to comnent abhi i am too emmotional Wink

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73b2011DEBOLINA96Lins_Love-SamiR-farhana874FizakUMDUnitish95

DEBOLINA96 Goldie
DEBOLINA96
DEBOLINA96

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged
Wow..just wow!!! Very well written!!! Star Unity in Diversity..Star

Yes,DABH has taken up a very bold as well as delicate issue..Hats off to them..Clap I think,the MoMli track will result in positivity..& that is what i want too!!! I've gone through the same condition as that of Sandhya..& luckily,i emerged as a Winner..so i exactly know what she'll have to face other than Emily & Mohit..I've always been FOR Inter-Religion/Inter-Caste Marriages..I personally always support it & always will too..many reasons are behind it!!! So,i would like to see this track to be successful somehow..Let's see what the CVs have for us..

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73b2011Lins_Love-SamiR-UMDUfarhana874Fizaknitish95

Fizak IF-Dazzler
Fizak
Fizak

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 3:03am | IP Logged
Naina ur post is on perfect timings
what a piece when majority of Indians are celebrating Hindu New Year"!!!
Happy New Year All!!

preeti73b2011DEBOLINA96Lins_Love-SamiR-farhana874UMDUnitish95

Lins_Love Goldie
Lins_Love
Lins_Love

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 4:22am | IP Logged
beautifully written!!!Clap
agree with u we have  to thank DABH writers who came up with such serious issues..Thumbs Up hope they handle it carefully and project a very good msg to the society...

after all every religion believes  in "love" which binds all of us though we are in different religion
Tongue

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73b2011DEBOLINA96-SamiR-farhana874UMDUnitish95

UMDU IF-Dazzler
UMDU
UMDU

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged
Wonderfully written as usual. No doubt all religions preach love and brotherhood and shun violence, but the followers sadly do not all subscribe to this theory. All religious texts are open to interpretation and each group feels their version is right. Applying pressure to enforce their point of view is justified. Violence emanates from here. One would think with the spread of education people would be enlightened enough to be tolerant, unfortunately that has not happened. World is clearly divided on religious lines and in most countries tensions do exist between the majority religion and the religion second to that in population terms. As this war gets strengthened, people become more rigid and would not like the numbers in their religion to decrease. Not allowing inter religious marriage is a consequence of that.  For an inter religious marriage to succeed both partners must be willing to compromise a lot and their love for each other should be above the religious divide. The talk of conversions should never come into the picture.
            I have to disagree with you on this track in DABH. By making Emily pregnant they have destroyed the message they sought to convey. They are actually giving a message that other wise we will never accept an inter  religious marriage but because she is pregnant and has threatened us with legal action we are accepting it. It is an exception rather than a rule. So a liberal message of acceptance to my mind will not go across.

preeti73alexxab2011DEBOLINA96-SamiR-slodkagilafarhana874nitish95

shruthiravi IF-Sizzlerz
shruthiravi
shruthiravi

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 6:00am | IP Logged
Beautiful topic. Yes I also used to write long essays on " Unity in diversity" and have won many prizes also. I have friends belonging to various religions/caste. They come to my house, I have gone to their house and in most cases we grew up respecting each other's culture. We never used to have parties during Ramzan fast so as not to disappoint our friend. My friend's family was equally sensitive to make vegetarian dishes when they invited us for Ramzan feast as myself and one another firend were veggies.
No questions used to be asked. If after deepavali I used to take sweets to my school/college, after christmas many of my christian friends used to bring. Onam/Vishu were festivals which were celebrated across religions.

Those days also intercaste/inter religious marriage was a problem. But what is now. Leave alone inter caste/inter religious marriage they have really increased but with that has increased to identify oneself with religion/caste.

Now everything has religion.Movies get banned because of opposition by religious groups. Politics anyways is religion as votes are decided based on it. Increasingly festivals are given religious colours. To ensure that intercaste/inter religious marriage does not occur even urban people, I mean well educated try to marry their kids early.

Unfortunately even kids know about religion and makes differentiation based on that. Parents choose schools for kids based on religion. The irony is that as we get educated is our hearts becoming smaller. I am not talking this about any underdeveloped state in India, but my own Kerala where the people are supposed to be literate.

Infact I really applaud the DABH team for taking up this issue. Very sensitive issue and would like to see how they are handling it. Yesterday's scene suggests it is not based on any religion we like a person. A person is liked for his/her values, their behaviour, respect they show etc..
Same here Maasa assumes Emily is hindu and likes her. Once she knows that she is from other religion the same person forgets all the other good qualities and makes the person alien. Isnt it a hypocrisy.

sjnppreeti73alexxab2011DEBOLINA96-SamiR-farhana874nitish95

farhana874 IF-Dazzler
farhana874
farhana874

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged
Oye teri charan kaththe hain!?
Thoda sa dhool manne de de yaar!
I have no aukaad to teach you Naina bakudi!Hug

This is yet another brilliant post!Clap

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

preeti73b2011DEBOLINA96-SamiR-nitish95

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index