India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Jalandhar VS Shankachuda

Shakti_Shiva Groupbie
Shakti_Shiva
Shakti_Shiva

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged
OKay.. it may be that I am totally confused or Jalandhar is Shankachuda.

Per the stories so far I read, it is true that Jalandhar married Vrinda and up on giving up her life she became Tulsi. There is also another story of Vrida and per  Devi Bhagavat that Vrida actually married Shakchuda who is Vishnu ansh. Hence Vrinda's unchastity ( such a wrong term Ouch) is not exactly right because Vrinda always wanted to marry Lord Vishnu and upon his boon she married Shanchuda as he is Vishnu ansh. Shankachuda was killed by Lord Shiva and Vrinda became River Gandaki and was born as Tulsi.

Confused?? Me too..  Can some one shed light on this ?

Thanks in advance!!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Kavyyaaleelaa9

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged

Hope this helpsSmile

Shakti_Shiva Groupbie
Shakti_Shiva
Shakti_Shiva

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
Thank you Meenakshi ! I guess I am still confused.

Reading the stories, not clear as to how  Tulsi plant came to existence. So Vrinda is NOT Tulsi..
hmmm.. that is some what contradictory between puraanas. Because per the post, the Tulsi seeds already existed by the time Vrinda happened.

Here are exerts from the previous post

Connection to Jalandhar
The three Devis gave the seeds of three trees viz. Amla, Tulsi and Malati to the Deities and spray the seeds at the place where Vrinda immolated.The seeds manifested as plants which were forwarded to Vishnuloka as tokens of blessings to Vrinda's soul at Vaikuntha.

Connection to Shankhachuda
Tulsi came to learn of Vishnu's unforgivable deceit and disguise, but Her chastity was spoilt by that time already! Not only she lost her husband but even her chastity and thus she sacrificed her life, while cursing Vishnu to turn as a Stone! Vishnu blessed Tulsi to welcome her to Vishnu loka and accepted her as one of His Consorts as also become immortal as Tulasi Tree worthy of daily worship along with 'Salagramas' or Lord Vishnu's manifestation- the Stones- as cursed by Tulasi!

Further more, if you would put aside Sivaaya Vishnu roopaya , Siva roopaya Vishnave aside; Vrinda in her first life married Shivansh and in her later life married Vishnu Ansh? Doesn't it go against the fundamental principle of married for 7 lives ?  If both stories are true as they are the indescretion by Lord Vishnu happened twice ( eekks ) not once even in the name of Dharma.

Today is not my day ...More and more confusion.. Apasmara ki Jai ho..Smile

mnx12Surya_krsnbhakt

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged
@Anjani, we'll let Lord Shiva handle ApasmarLOL
Regarding these stories of Puranas, different Puranas gives different versions of one story, giving the main Deity prime importance. Jalandhar's story is part of Shiv Puran & Shankhchud's is another. That explains two confusing versions. Let's see what Trikona Puran saysLOL

Edited by mnx12 - 10 April 2013 at 12:34pm
Shakti_Shiva Groupbie
Shakti_Shiva
Shakti_Shiva

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged
^ LOL..

I agree that different puraanas have different versions..
NandiniRaizadaa IF-Stunnerz
NandiniRaizadaa
NandiniRaizadaa

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged
Yes according to Devi Puran shankhchud or Jalandhar was an ansh of Vishnu and vrinda an ansh of Lakshmi

Rest of the story is same

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12

Surya_krsnbhakt IF-Dazzler
Surya_krsnbhakt
Surya_krsnbhakt

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged
Actually, if you had watched Om Namah SHivaya (I am not comparing, don't get the wrong idea) The stories go out of the window. If i remember clearly, Jalandhar will want to marry Parvati, and Vrinda was very upset and all. So while Jalandhar was busy fighting with Mahadev for Parvati, Vishnu the great came as a sadhu maharaj and brainwashed(?) Vrinda. So guess that complicates things even further. And also, Jalandhar wasn't Mahadev's clone, nor was he taken care of by Matsyakanya.

And SHankhachooda is a different headache altogether. Sometimes i wish Vyasa would have just written one proper text with one story instead of CHinese whispers!! And the other confusing thing is both versions of the story were narrated by the same person too to the same audience, so how come those rishis who were listening did not object or get a headache???
The very thought baffles me!

pratiksha28mnx12

apurvachoudary Groupbie
apurvachoudary
apurvachoudary

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged
http://www.liveindia.com/gangeshwar-temple/index.html

Diu, a salmagundi of sea, sky, sun and sand and a well composed medley of beauty, breeze and serenity, is a sublime spectrum yet to be utterly traversed and truly discovered. Fondled all the time by the Arabian Sea, Diu is a small dandy island positioned close to the Gulf of Cambay and the Veraval Port off the south eastern coast of Kathiawar of Gujarat. Flourishing as a Portuguese Colony in olden days and now a division of the Union territory of Daman & Diu, the Diu Island is sliced by a tidal creek from the mainland Gujarat. The multicolored band of local Kathiawari ethnicity and the archaic Portuguese culture endows Diu with an Indo-European spirit pretty similar to Goa. Even though, Diu is primarily untouched by the uncontrolled modern-day commercialization.

The word 'Diu' has been coined from a Sanskrit word 'Dweep' meaning an island.It is said that during the Vedic period, Diu belonged to the Kingdom of the demon king - Shivangsh Jalandhar who was killed by Lord Vishnu. The Jalandhar Temple situated at Diu testifies this tale. Moreover, it is also believed that the five Pandava brothers of Mahabharata had also visited this province during their exile. They stayed at the Mani Nagar area of Diu for some days and worshipped Lord Shiva. The five Shiva Lingam enshrined in the Gangeshwar Temple of Diu are assumed to have been sanctified by the Pandavas at this place
 visit the above link for pics...

Edited by apurvachoudary - 11 April 2013 at 2:17am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Surya_krsnbhakt

Go to top