Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

P0K0 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
DHAKA, April 24 (Reuters) - An eight-storey block housing factories and a shopping center collapsed on the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital on Wednesday, killing more than 70 people and injuring hundreds, a government official said.

Fire fighters and army personnel worked frantically through the morning at the Rana Plaza building in Savar, 30 km (19 miles) outside Dhaka, to rescue people trapped inside.

One fireman told Reuters that about 2,000 people were in the building when the upper floors jolted down on top of each other.

Bangladesh's booming garment industry has been plagued by fires and other accidents for years, despite a drive to improve safety standards. In November last year, 112 workers were killed in a blaze at a factory in an industrial suburb of Dhaka.

"It looks like an earthquake has struck here," said one resident as he looked on at the chaotic scene of smashed concrete and ambulances making their way through the crowds of workers and wailing relatives of those still inside.

"I was at work on the third floor, and then suddenly I heard a deafening sound, but couldn't understand what was happening. I ran and was hit by something on my head," said Sohra Begum a worker at one of the garment factories.

, the government's health secretary, told Reuters that at least 86 people were confirmed dead. Another official said hundreds were being treated for injuries.

, in charge of the area's police station, said factory owners appeared to have ignored a warning not to allow their workers into the building after a crack was detected in the block on Tuesday.

Firefighters and soldiers using drilling machines and cranes worked together with local volunteers in the search for other survivors from the building, which pancaked onto itself and stood only about two stories tall.

Edited by Temporary99 - 11 years ago
P0K0 thumbnail
two THOUSAND workers R still trapped and we've just able to rescued 7oo of them...
P0K0 thumbnail
P0K0 thumbnail
Can u blv it...its an 8 storied building...it has collapsed in just like Twin tower in USA...😲

the rescue team, Army and BSF only have rescued ppls who were on 8 and 7th floor...

all those trapped ppl are calling and saying they need oxygen supply...they r all trapped in heavy industrial machines...Allah knows we'll be able to go in there and reach them or not...now they r not responding to the calls...
P0K0 thumbnail
GunDaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
i can understand ..hope everything will be fine soon.
P0K0 thumbnail
Originally posted by: --Hunter--

i can understand ..hope everything will be fine soon.

U know the feeling when a son is calling his mother and cries to get him out of that trapped cement and his voice is fading away in want of oxygen...and she just can't do anything... 😭

those b(&(%*^d owners of that garments should be cross fired!!!😡
GunDaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Temporary99

U know the feeling when a son is calling his mother and cries to get him out of that trapped cement and his voice is fading away in want of oxygen...and she just can't do anything... 😭

those b(&(%*^d owners of that garments should be cross fired!!!😡

I can imagine ...
btwn what was the reason dat building collapsed ? 😕
Sunny_Bliss thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

I can imagine ...

Poor construction quality. 🤔
P0K0 thumbnail

I can imagine ...

U know yesterday ppl located a huge crack on a pillar...and immediately the board ordered to evacuate the building...but @ night the 6 garments owners did a "Meeting" and decided to resume the working...and u know those workers were forced to go in there...they said that they were given threats that if they don't go in there...they'd be fired.

I just hope those ba****d  get hanged.😡