Madhubala - Ek Ishq Ek Junoon

India-Forums

RK Vs Sultan - Character Sketch Analysis..!!! (Page 7)

-Dil- IF-Sizzlerz
-Dil-
-Dil-

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sai.janu350

dilnasheen really fantastic post dear...ClapClap

really ur analysis of sultan and between sultan and rk was really superbbb...LOLLOL

thank you...Big smilejust call me "Dil'..Big smile

fia21 IF-Sizzlerz
fia21
fia21

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:42am | IP Logged
With all due respect to your point of view, I beg to differ.  One thing that I don't understand is that why every time when people try to point out the flaws in RK's character or the current track surrounding him, people assume that it must be a Sultan fan or they are "defending" Sultan in some way. I like both characters in their own way, though RK's has recently started to creep me out. In the beginning of the show, I really liked him, all those witty one-liners and stuff. But now when I look back to it, it feels like that was all RK had to himself. Even now if you take away those awesome dialogues from him and just look at the character itself, there isn't anything different or unique or entertaining about him.

You find Sultan's track boring, that is your opinion and is completely understandable. But I find his track and character to be way more interesting than RK's. I am not going to get into the whole Gangster debate because it would be pointless. For me, RK isn't a unique or well developed character. Think about it yourself, from episode 1 till date, what exactly could be passed as character development when it comes to RK? The only development he showed or started to show was during the fake love/wedding track. So for me, that development doesn't stay valid anymore as RK himself said it was all a pretense.

Coming to RK versus Sultan. Well I don't think there is any "versus" between them. Both characters are different from each other but with some similarities too. About RK's character, I have mentioned this in another post too and would like to share it here aswell.  Authors/Producers/Directors, all these people are very well aware of the fact that the audiences these days are obsessed with "grey characters" , being mostly females and teenagers. Hence, the majority of the male characters in books, movies and TV shows consist of male protagonists to be grey shaded. It's like a norm. But not all "bad boys" are grey. I really wish people would stop using the word grey just so they could sell their story. They are clever enough to know that "grey" and "layered"  are the words that sell here but only those sensible enough to understand would know the difference between the two. This show now consists of two characters which are grey. But even grey is categorized in two parts.

1. Flawed
2. Layered

I have come across so many people saying that RK is a layered character. RK's character is not layered. The proper term for him is flawed. He is a flawed character. There is a difference between layered and flawed. I really feel like issuing dictionaries on this forum. Even to the writer who apparently has tagged RK as a layered character just so people would love him more than they already do. If you give it a thought, he doesn't exactly have any proper layers or depth to him. So far all we have seen is his egoistic side. I am not going to mention the soft side here because even if there was any, it turned out to be fake. That part of RK is yet to be shown, that is if there is any. Layered would be the word I would use for Sultan's character. He's a ruthless gangster but also a strict yet caring Father. He has a dark side and a human side. He has his morals and is principled and sometimes he is impulsive. Now we are seeing a side of him which might be capable of love. Anyway these are what layers are called as far as I think. Even Madhubala to some extent is layered. She can be a friendly cat at one point and a vicious tigress at the very next moment .
One word that can describe both RK and Sultan's characters is complex. They are both complex and unpredictable in their own ways.

One fine day- Sultan emerges from water like a fearless warrior, destroying the obstacles in his way..
Next week - We find him HIDING from one of his underlings in a CHAWL...!!!
One fine day- He's a BAD father, who made his OWN son a human bait..!!
Next week- He's a GREAT father, who's playing color color with his son..!!
A day ago- He's involved in a shoot-out in the chawl, in plain view of everyone..!!
A day later - He's seen strolling into the chawl with a picnic basket, as if he's the most respected member of community...!!
A day ago- He's reminiscing about his dead(??) wife fondly and with emotions...!!
A day later - He's all blushing and day-dreaming over someone else's wife..!!(before y'all erupt, RK did tell him Mb was his wife on holi day and NO-ONE contradicted, neither MB nor Sultan..!!)
A day ago- There was danger to his and his family's life, so he fled from his house..!!
A day later - He's back in his own house, like nothing of that sort EVER happened, and the enemy, hence the danger, isn't over yet...!!
A day ago - He said an emotional "Alvida"...!!
A day later - There..He's back AGAIN...!!!
and Finally,
3 weeks ago - An emotionless gangsta..!!
Now -A blushing lover boy(mature and sensible of course..Unlike RK..)..!!

All these points that you mentioned, well you sort of just proved my point above Embarrassed . These are all layers of the character called Sultan. Something which I never found in the character RK. The way I see it, I have not found anything unique, except those amazing dialogues, in his character. About Sultan blushing, I don't think he was. I watched the episode twice to see why people think he was blushing. He was just reminiscing his moments with Madhu and there were absolutely no signs of blushing on his face.

RK - Had a sad past (a well explained one), which he decided to overcome by killing the "Rishabh" in him and becoming "RK", he took up ACTING..!!
Sultan - Had a past (not well explained , but I have hopes), which he decided to overcome by killing people and becoming "Mumbai ka Sultan", he took up ARMS..!!

Again I beg to differ here with the part in bold. I don't remember the exact date, but a few episodes back, we did get to see an explanation of Sultan's past when he comes to take Aryan and talks to Padmini about it. Sultan may be a Gangster, but he is way better a human being than RK ever was or will be. Take the Superstar out of RK and Gangster out of Sultan and judge them JUST as people without blindly supporting either of them, you'd know the difference yourself. I am not justifying Sultan. He is a Gangster so he is obviously wrong, but the point is the reason behind his decision. They both chose their own lifestyles but RK chose his out of pure ego and his sadistic pleasures, whereas Sultan's past actually has some depth to it and is reason enough to be what he is today. I suggest you watch that episode, you'll get to peek in Sultan's past which is way more complicated than RK's.

I don't mind seeing RishBala together. It's they way that it is happening is what is bothering me. I don't want to see him saying "I want Madhu back" . I want to see him saying "I don't deserve Madhu" . Only then will RK be truly redeemed for me. Because only then he'd realize how much she loved him and what exactly he lost by betraying her like that.Vivian is doing a great job essaying this role but people really need to learn to differentiate between an actor and a character. The current track is so utterly messed up. Instead of showing Nach Baliye Season 6 in making between RK and Madhubala, the CVs should seriously try to focus on showing a PROPER redemption track of RK. Showing Madhu just melting on his touch in no way proves their love. Until then, I am up for some SulBala too. If I get bored of them too, I'll switch to some other show.

If I sounded harsh I am really sorry about that. It wasn't my intention. It's just that I am tired of all the fights on this forum over a MERE show Confused . Anyway once again my apologies if I offended you or anyone in any way. I was just stating my opinion!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Dil-

k.atrina75 IF-Dazzler
k.atrina75
k.atrina75

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged
dil ur just a thief.. u stole my words..really!!awesome post..c's r clear about everyone's character except sultan..n if rk is not right for madhu sultan is not for madhu n not correct for her as well...

-Dil-

nikhilageet IF-Dazzler
nikhilageet
nikhilageet

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged
Nice post Clap and good valid points Wink

-Dil-

MrsSSO IF-Dazzler
MrsSSO
MrsSSO

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:58am | IP Logged
Nice post !
And totally agree with you !

-Dil-

-Dil- IF-Sizzlerz
-Dil-
-Dil-

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by fia21

With all due respect to your point of view, I beg to differ.  One thing that I don't understand is that why every time when people try to point out the flaws in RK's character or the current track surrounding him, people assume that it must be a Sultan fan or they are "defending" Sultan in some way. I like both characters in their own way, though RK's has recently started to creep me out. In the beginning of the show, I really liked him, all those witty one-liners and stuff. But now when I look back to it, it feels like that was all RK had to himself. Even now if you take away those awesome dialogues from him and just look at the character itself, there isn't anything different or unique or entertaining about him.

You find Sultan's track boring, that is your opinion and is completely understandable. But I find his track and character to be way more interesting than RK's. I am not going to get into the whole Gangster debate because it would be pointless. For me, RK isn't a unique or well developed character. Think about it yourself, from episode 1 till date, what exactly could be passed as character development when it comes to RK? The only development he showed or started to show was during the fake love/wedding track. So for me, that development doesn't stay valid anymore as RK himself said it was all a pretense.

Coming to RK versus Sultan. Well I don't think there is any "versus" between them. Both characters are different from each other but with some similarities too. About RK's character, I have mentioned this in another post too and would like to share it here aswell.  Authors/Producers/Directors, all these people are very well aware of the fact that the audiences these days are obsessed with "grey characters" , being mostly females and teenagers. Hence, the majority of the male characters in books, movies and TV shows consist of male protagonists to be grey shaded. It's like a norm. But not all "bad boys" are grey. I really wish people would stop using the word grey just so they could sell their story. They are clever enough to know that "grey" and "layered"  are the words that sell here but only those sensible enough to understand would know the difference between the two. This show now consists of two characters which are grey. But even grey is categorized in two parts.

1. Flawed
2. Layered

I have come across so many people saying that RK is a layered character. RK's character is not layered. The proper term for him is flawed. He is a flawed character. There is a difference between layered and flawed. I really feel like issuing dictionaries on this forum. Even to the writer who apparently has tagged RK as a layered character just so people would love him more than they already do. If you give it a thought, he doesn't exactly have any proper layers or depth to him. So far all we have seen is his egoistic side. I am not going to mention the soft side here because even if there was any, it turned out to be fake. That part of RK is yet to be shown, that is if there is any. Layered would be the word I would use for Sultan's character. He's a ruthless gangster but also a strict yet caring Father. He has a dark side and a human side. He has his morals and is principled and sometimes he is impulsive. Now we are seeing a side of him which might be capable of love. Anyway these are what layers are called as far as I think. Even Madhubala to some extent is layered. She can be a friendly cat at one point and a vicious tigress at the very next moment .
One word that can describe both RK and Sultan's characters is complex. They are both complex and unpredictable in their own ways.

One fine day- Sultan emerges from water like a fearless warrior, destroying the obstacles in his way..
Next week - We find him HIDING from one of his underlings in a CHAWL...!!!
One fine day- He's a BAD father, who made his OWN son a human bait..!!
Next week- He's a GREAT father, who's playing color color with his son..!!
A day ago- He's involved in a shoot-out in the chawl, in plain view of everyone..!!
A day later - He's seen strolling into the chawl with a picnic basket, as if he's the most respected member of community...!!
A day ago- He's reminiscing about his dead(??) wife fondly and with emotions...!!
A day later - He's all blushing and day-dreaming over someone else's wife..!!(before y'all erupt, RK did tell him Mb was his wife on holi day and NO-ONE contradicted, neither MB nor Sultan..!!)
A day ago- There was danger to his and his family's life, so he fled from his house..!!
A day later - He's back in his own house, like nothing of that sort EVER happened, and the enemy, hence the danger, isn't over yet...!!
A day ago - He said an emotional "Alvida"...!!
A day later - There..He's back AGAIN...!!!
and Finally,
3 weeks ago - An emotionless gangsta..!!
Now -A blushing lover boy(mature and sensible of course..Unlike RK..)..!!

All these points that you mentioned, well you sort of just proved my point above Embarrassed . These are all layers of the character called Sultan. Something which I never found in the character RK. The way I see it, I have not found anything unique, except those amazing dialogues, in his character. About Sultan blushing, I don't think he was. I watched the episode twice to see why people think he was blushing. He was just reminiscing his moments with Madhu and there were absolutely no signs of blushing on his face.

RK - Had a sad past (a well explained one), which he decided to overcome by killing the "Rishabh" in him and becoming "RK", he took up ACTING..!!
Sultan - Had a past (not well explained , but I have hopes), which he decided to overcome by killing people and becoming "Mumbai ka Sultan", he took up ARMS..!!

Again I beg to differ here with the part in bold. I don't remember the exact date, but a few episodes back, we did get to see an explanation of Sultan's past when he comes to take Aryan and talks to Padmini about it. Sultan may be a Gangster, but he is way better a human being than RK ever was or will be. Take the Superstar out of RK and Gangster out of Sultan and judge them JUST as people without blindly supporting either of them, you'd know the difference yourself. I am not justifying Sultan. He is a Gangster so he is obviously wrong, but the point is the reason behind his decision. They both chose their own lifestyles but RK chose his out of pure ego and his sadistic pleasures, whereas Sultan's past actually has some depth to it and is reason enough to be what he is today. I suggest you watch that episode, you'll get to peek in Sultan's past which is way more complicated than RK's.

I don't mind seeing RishBala together. It's they way that it is happening is what is bothering me. I don't want to see him saying "I want Madhu back" . I want to see him saying "I don't deserve Madhu" . Only then will RK be truly redeemed for me. Because only then he'd realize how much she loved him and what exactly he lost by betraying her like that.Vivian is doing a great job essaying this role but people really need to learn to differentiate between an actor and a character. The current track is so utterly messed up. Instead of showing Nach Baliye Season 6 in making between RK and Madhubala, the CVs should seriously try to focus on showing a PROPER redemption track of RK. Showing Madhu just melting on his touch in no way proves their love. Until then, I am up for some SulBala too. If I get bored of them too, I'll switch to some other show.

If I sounded harsh I am really sorry about that. It wasn't my intention. It's just that I am tired of all the fights on this forum over a MERE show Confused . Anyway once again my apologies if I offended you or anyone in any way. I was just stating my opinion!

Thank you for commenting!!I just love a healthy discussion...Embarrassed

Now..Let me take up the fact that you called RK flawed yet Sultan layered...WinkOk..I myself said in my post that RK is a man with HUGE flaws...But Sultan...???can his layers be only through the fact that he's a strict father and gangster...??ShockedI could make a LONG list of RK's relatives here...His relationship with his mom..(Wasn't fake), his relationship with his dad(again wasn't fake), his relationship with his so-called step family(complex, yet NOT fake)...The only faking he ever did was in his relationship with MB(but even that I have solid doubts, based on the scenes he chose to remind her yesterday)...EmbarrassedBut even those like his egoism, passionate/obsessive nature,his don't-care-a-damn attitude HAVE always been explained..and I must say MB in the show knows it also...Smile

He's had a bad past too..But did he get anti-social or lawless because of it...??NOOO...!!Doesn't that show the integrity in a person...??RK's character and it's professional and personal persona has been very well developed in the show...And I for one definitely understand..!!And it wasn't over tea it was done either...It was done over a period of time..(take after second revenge itself)!!!Smile

And about taking out the superstar and gangster part from both these characters...Smile Is this what we should be doing for every criminal...??If we take the criminal tag from every criminal, I'm sure we'll be getting just another man there too..!!
Does that mean what they HAVE become doesn't reflect their personalities...???I hope you aren't saying that...!!!ShockedOuchYou can never separate a man's BIGGEST identity from himself and THEN analyse them right...??It's an integral and important part in knowing what kind of a person you are.

About Sultan's past, I remember the two lines he told Padmini too...SmileWant more than that to explain WHY he became a don though...!!And I did say NOT WELL EXPLAINED and not UNEXPLAINED...!EmbarrassedDoesn't change the fact he did in fact took up arms whatever it was.

Points I mentioned about in the post, happened so fast..I was like "you gotta be kidding me!!!"...nothing and NO-ONE ever changes that fast!!Not if it's to be believed!!And they prove how unstable a character he is in my opinion.And not how complex he is..To be a complex character he needs to be consistent with it and not keep changing colors..!!My POV..No imposition..Smile

@ bold...I really want to know more about this...!!!Being an impulsive mob boss...??Hmmm...an interesting term..WinkEmbarrassedI would have thought THAT took a lot of cunning and calculation, manipulation, murder and what not...!!Embarrassed

About your last paragraph though, I AGREE completely , except for the sulbala part of course...WinkLOL!!!BRAVO for describing it so well...!!Clap

P.S - I can't believe I made a post on Sultan and YET AGAIN ended up analysing RK..LOL..LOLMy fav hobby now...LOL

Edited by dilnasheen - 10 April 2013 at 7:56am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

armanmallikcardio21fia21

anamika143.. IF-Dazzler
anamika143..
anamika143..

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged
why doesnt he go back to dubai...waise bhi mumbai mai koi kaam dhandha nai hai usko...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

cardio21-Dil-

-Dil- IF-Sizzlerz
-Dil-
-Dil-

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by katrina75

dil ur just a thief.. u stole my words..really!!awesome post..c's r clear about everyone's character except sultan..n if rk is not right for madhu sultan is not for madhu n not correct for her as well...

thank you..!!!Big smileHis character could have been better explained..SmileAgree..If RK isn't right for MB, sultan was never a choice either..!!Embarrassed

Go to top