Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-StarsLinedUp- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago
Such an awesom read...I have liked every bit of it...cant wait for the story to develop further...caontinue soon...👍🏼
pinks73 thumbnail
Engager 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 3

Chapter 13

Zoya saw herself in the mirror. The lehenga that Ammi had insisted she get for herself in Delhi was looking nice on her. It suited her complexion. This one was black. She was saving the more intricately designed blue one for Humi's wedding next week.  She matched it with earrings she had bought on an impulse from the mall in one of the numerous shopping trips she had with Humi before coming to India. As an afterthought she slipped on the bangles Ammi had gifted her in Delhi, the one Asad chose. She smiled a little. Asad was attentive and protective as a companion and she was pleasantly surprised that this trip was turning out to be quite enjoyable and she had to agree that it was a largely because of him.

She stepped out of her room and not knowing where she should be, headed for Uzma naani's room. As soon as Zoya crossed the threshold of the room she could feel the peace and quiet even though it was right in the middle of all the commotion and celebration taking place steps away. Zoya knew it had something to do with the occupant rather than the room itself. Uzma naani was sitting on a chair next to her bed and a feast was spread out in front of her. She was dressed in a light mauve lehenga and a long white kurta with a white dupatta over her head. Her gleaming silver hair tucked in a bun. A large jhumka hung from her ears and she wore lots of bangles.

"Zoya, you look beautiful." She said as she looked up, "Come sit next to me."

"Thank you Uzma naani" Zoya went and sat on the empty chair next to her. "You look very nice too."

"Eat something. I always eat a little early, I have to take my medication."

"It looks delicious but I am not hungry right now, I will eat later."

Uzma naani motioned to Mehreen, sitting next to her to take the food away and the girl hurriedly carried the plates out of the room, not wanting to miss any part of the wedding celebration.

Asad parted the curtain hanging at the doorway and stepped inside the room. He was dressed in a black sherwani with a white kurta peeping at the collar. He was looking devastatingly handsome, Zoya thought, a little shocked at her own observation.

The first thing Asad saw as he stepped into the room was Zoya looking gorgeous in something black. He had never seen her in an Indian ensemble and he was stunned for a few seconds.

"Is the baraat here already?" Uzma naani asked

Asad tore his eyes away from Zoya and said "Yes, I came to call Zoya"

Zoya saw the appreciative look in Asad's eyes and blushed a crimson red.

"Zoya you want to come outside to see the groom's procession?"

"Yes, yes Zoya, go. Mehreen will take me to Najma's room." She said as Mahreen came in through the door ready to assist her.

Zoya stood on the open balcony, in the shadow of the pillar while Asad stood next to her.

"What are they doing now?" she asked, all excited.

Asad looked at her, a little confused. "I thought you were..." then he decided against completing his sentence.

"Maamujaan has taken Imran's hands in his and is telling him Najma's name and the Qazi saab is asking him if he accepts Najma as his wife."

Zoya craned her neck to see the proceedings. Asad had gotten her a chair to stand on but it was still very crowded and they were far from the platform in which the nikaah was being hosted. She placed her hand on Asad's shoulder and her fingers scrunched his sherwani, Asad stiffened. Oblivious to the effect she was having on him, Zoya asked "Now what?"

"Well, the Qazi  saab will ask him three times before getting his signature and then the Nikaah will be done."

"So, is it done already?"

"Almost done, Zoya why don't you go inside to the women's section because the Qazi saab will be coming to Najma's room too to ask her the same thing."

"So Najma will have to give her answer three times too?"

"She will be asked three times but it's okay if she answers once."

"So I'll see you inside?"

Her excitement was palpable and Asad heard himself say "Yes" as he made his way to congratulate his new brother in law.

Asad entered the bride's room behind the Qazi and Maamujaan. He saw Zoya engaged in a group of young girls, some of whom he recognized as his distant cousins. She was laughing with them and Asad looked at her a little perplexed, she will always remain a puzzle to him, he thought.

After Najma gave her consent to the nikaah, the jubilation exploded in the room and the girls almost crashed on Najma congratulating her on her wedding. Asad followed the Qazi out of the room a little reluctantly keeping his gaze steadily on Zoya who was in the midst of the craziness and still standing out, alone.

After the Nikaah ceremony, the groom and his friends and relative were served dinner. Asad saw Hamaad pass by and stopped him

"Is  Zoya calling me?"

"No no Zoya bhabhi is not calling you" Hamaad said

"What?"

"Zoya bhabhi..."

"I know, what you said. Why are you calling her bhabhi?"

"In Chanderi if a girl calls a boy and the boy goes running then we call them bhaijaan and bhabhi."

Asad's eyebrows went up at the boy's pertinence.

"How old are you?" He could not resist asking

"I will be ten next month."

"Well, you have the basics down" Asad said shaking his head while Hamaad walked away with his friends.

Asad knew he would be pulled in soon by Maamujaan and his cousins so he made a quiet exit and decided to go look for Zoya. The courtyard was full of guests, mostly women and girls of various ages. Some were sitting and chatting while others were going outside to the other end of the house where a separate enclosure had been erected especially for them to have dinner. He peeped into all the rooms looking for her, much to Mumani's disapproval and then decided to check in Uzma naani's room. He saw Zoya there helping the older lady into bed and quietly walked in to help.

"I am tired. Wake me when Najma is ready to leave." Uzma naani explained

"You have become much weaker than when I last met you." Asad frowned.

"Don't you worry Asad beta I am fine. I will be around to see you get married and also play with your kids." She said, her wrinkled hand on Asad's shoulders.

Asad gave a smile and said, "Good, then you will have to stay alive for a long time to come because I am not getting married any time soon."

She laughed softly and lay down in bed. Zoya found a light sheet on her footboard and placed it over her.

"I'll stay with her. You can go if you want." Zoya said

"Did you eat anything?" Asad asked

"No not yet. After the heavy lunch, I don't think I can eat much."

"You have to try the traditional wedding dinner. I'll get you some."

Asad went to get dinner, making sure he would not be intercepted on the way by one of his relatives. When he came back he had a small tray in his hand and he placed it on the table in front of Zoya.

"There is the biryani of course, no wedding is complete without it. Then there is the chicken curry and paratha. I know what you are going to take, the paratha, right?"

"Yes, no biryani for me please."

Asad dug into the biryani with his spoon while Zoya stared at the curry astonished.

"There is so much oil in it." She said a little horrified

Asad laughed, "This is how they cook here. Don't worry for our wedding we will ask the chef to use minimal oil."

There was a moment of silence.

"I meant Ayaan and Humaira's wedding next week." Asad corrected himself.

"This is too much curry, I can't have all of it and I don't want to waste it either. Is there a smaller bowl I can take it out in." Zoya asked

"Have whatever you can from it and I'll have the rest. It won't go to waste" Asad assured her

They settled into companionable silence while having their dinner. It was a strangely intimate scene.

"I am done." Zoya said finally.

"I'd like some paratha and curry too." Asad said before adding with a smirk, "Can you feed me? I don't want to wash my hands and your hands are already soiled."

Much to Asad's surprise, Zoya tore a piece of paratha, dipped it in curry and brought it close to his mouth. He took the bite, his lips touching her fingers slightly.

Suddenly Hamaad burst into the room

"Bhaijaan, you are here? They are all searching for you."

"Me? What for?"

"For dinner, of course."

"Tell them I am eating at Uzma naani's room."

"Okay bhaijaan." Hamaad said before running away.

After a while Asad got up and told Zoya, "It's getting late. The groom will come inside the house to the women's side for a short time. They will perform some ceremonies then. You can watch it."

Zoya took out a small pouch from her purse and held it out for Asad to see.

"When do we give gifts? I got this for Najma, can I give her now or do I give it to her later."

"Since the girl is from our family, usually we give gifts to the groom, I already gave him something Ammi sent. You can give Najma's gift to her whenever you like."

"It's a perfume. You think it will be fine?" She asked taking it out of the pouch and showing it to him.

"Of course, it will be fine,Zoya"

" I don't want to make any blunders."

"You are not doing any such thing." He said with conviction, "in fact it is very thoughtful of you to bring a gift for the bride and even if you do make mistakes, it's okay."

Zoya smiled, a little relived and left the room. Asad watched her leave and wondered what she had faced to make her so apprehensive about making small mistakes. The more time he spent with her the more he was fascinated by her and the more confused he was about his own reactions and feelings.

Please comment and let me know if you liked it 😊
Edited by pinks73 - 10 years ago
-RM- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Now i am so curious to know Zoya's past 😲
Please tell us Asap!!

👍🏼
RAJLUVRIYA thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Very nice update. Love the way hamad answers asad question that zoya bhabi not calling.I m very curious to know zoya's past. Try to give it asap. Asad is completely take care of zoya.Lovd ASYA. Thanks for pm. Update soon
Linsie thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
hmmm... asya are getting close ... asad is already attach to zoya...

Zoya asking about the wedding ... make asad more curious

zoya's past when??

NVBGKY thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wonderful update, I'm liking this thoughtful Asad ;)...now you've got me wondering Zoya and her past, looking forward to the next chapter. 
shreya11mehra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Awesome update.. 
 Waiting to knw abt zoya past...

mysticlover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This update was so sweet n cute...
Asad took care of Zoya at every step like she's a delicate doll... what had happened to Zoya that she is so apprehensive n doubtful about everything...
UUpdate soon...
I loved this intimacy of Asad n Zoya...
a.sharma thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
ohkey... dis was wonderful... superb actually... i just love the way asad is all caring for zoya 😳... it makes me feel just wow... it was picturesque to read about their dinner together ❤️... superbly carved out... and the end was filled with amazement... zoya was amazed at asad's words... asad was amazed at her past and present connection and i'm amazed reading about both of them ... so ... keep writing and updating faster...😊