Master Chef Season 3

What's Gunpowder?

hamzanuha thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
 Sachin said he was making an Andhra style pizza. But I don't what gunpowder is, though I'm from Andhra Pradesh (though an NRI). Edited by hamzanuha - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sleepwell thumbnail
i am also from andhra n even i am bank abt gunpowder.i think he might be referring to garammasala.

Kore-Soteira thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Even I m confused 😕.
Gunpowder is used in guns, pistols etc...
My grandmother has lived in Andhra Pradesh also got confused, as she knows the cuisine of that state.
I think he said it in a hurry😆.
sabirose thumbnail
I think that is asafetida powder...
hamzanuha thumbnail
No, I don't think so. He said something on the lines of it being hot. And I think garam masala is more central India-ish, like Mughlai dishes.

Edit:- Correction - North India
Edited by hamzanuha - 11 years ago
hamzanuha thumbnail
Found this online:

If you've eaten a south Indian meal, you have probably come across a variant of what is often called 'gunpowder' in Indian English – spicy roasted lentil powders that go as accompaniments to various dishes. The Tamil name is molagaapoDii (literally spice powder, I think), but in Marathi and Kannada we call them chaTNiipuDii, or chutney powders. Each family has some tried and tested way of making them, and there is always one visiting aunt who insists that one lime leaf or lentil or coriander instead of cumin makes all the difference. And so the versions grow.

Read the rest : http://desiknitter.com/2008/06/gunpowder/
hamzanuha thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: hamzanuha

Found this online:

If you've eaten a south Indian meal, you have probably come across a variant of what is often called 'gunpowder' in Indian English ' spicy roasted lentil powders that go as accompaniments to various dishes. The Tamil name is molagaapoDii (literally spice powder, I think), but in Marathi and Kannada we call them chaTNiipuDii, or chutney powders. Each family has some tried and tested way of making them, and there is always one visiting aunt who insists that one lime leaf or lentil or coriander instead of cumin makes all the difference. And so the versions grow.

Read the rest : http://desiknitter.com/2008/06/gunpowder/

But then I don't see Andhra's name in the list ðŸ˜•
Kore-Soteira thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
@hamzanuha.
Thanks for the info.
Now I get that. My grandmother & mother makes them.
pallavinc thumbnail
Hi All,

I guess he is reffering to Kaaram Podi, that we have with Idli, dosa and rice too.

Regards,
Pallavi NC
jyothi- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Gun powder is dosa mulagapudi.For dosa and idli in south india they use this.

This is the powderr made  of--Red chilli,dhaniya,channa dal white til,hing,curry leaves all this roast and powder it with salt  swad anusar.In south India they use this for dosa and idli in the place of coconut chutney.