Armu4eva
Armu4eva

** Super Coolbie **

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged

'That honour belongs to Ram Kapoor'

That's Ronit Roy's retort to being the highest paid actor on the small screen
PS: He will be seen in three films releasing this year

Chaya Unnikrishnan

Despite a successful film debut with in 1992, Ronit Roy wasn't able to make a mark in the film industry. So he decided to embrace television, that too at a time when the small-screen was considered a step down for actors. "I had no work after a couple of my films flopped and I didn't want to be part of C-grade films with sexual themes, so I did the next best thing, took up an offer on TV," confesses Ronit. His role as the ruthless, middle-aged businessman Rishabh Bajaj in Kasauti Zindagi Kay (2002-07) became so popular that he is still remembered for it. Says Ronit,"Till then there wasn't a silver-haired suave character on TV and I guess it struck a chord with the viewers. Even the storyline was engaging." Whether it was as Mihir Virani of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Aaprijit Deb of Kasam Seh or Dharamraj Mahyavanshi of Bandini, people couldn't get enough of Ronit. "I loved Bandini. It was a great piece of work," he recalls. 
While many of his contemporaries have either vanished or shifted to character roles, Ronit still commands a premium to play lead roles and is currently seen in a courtroom drama Adalat that has him as a quirky, intelligent and witty lawyer KD Pathak. "We wanted to make it interesting and not just another courtroom drama. We found little elements to develop KD's character," says Ronit. And he has no intention of quitting the show as is being speculated. "I was shooting for Boss (Akshay Kumar's home production) in Bangkok and was away for a few days. Now I am back and will be concentrating on the show," he informs. Ask the small-screen Amitabh Bachchan, as he is referred to and with whom he shares his birthday, about being the highest paid TV actor and he retorts that he's never been in the rat-race. "I think Ram Kapoor holds that honour," he smiles.

Second lease 
When Anurag Kashyap, who is Ronit's friend, offered him Udaan, he was initially supposed to do Ram Kapoor's role. However, when he met director Vikramaditya Motwane, he was asked to do the other role, that of a strict father. The film was selected at Cannes Film Festival and set the ball rolling for the actor. "Even I didn't know it would become so big. Because of Udaan, Deepa Mehta offered me Midnight's Children, Karan (Johar) gave me Student of the Year and Sanjay Gupta, who is an old friend of mine cast me in Shootout at Wadala," says Ronit. Then there's Anurag's Ugly in which he plays the leading role. "It's a dark but sensitive film," is all that he's willing to say. But it's the upcoming Boss that has Ronit playing out his biggest role. He is the main villain in the film. "When I was approached for the role, I voiced my concerns. Akshay is the biggest star and I am not known for action, so I was worried how it would pan out. I asked Tony (director Anthony D'Souza) if Akshay was okay with me doing the film and he told me Akshay was fine with it!" says Ronit. However, to take on Akshay, Ronit trained physically for the role. "To share screen space with Akshay, I had to do away with the fat and get my body into shape. I did cardio vascular and weights among other things. I followed a strict diet. It used to change every week – Basically I went off bread and biscuits and had healthy food. I am a vegetarian but I started eating fish and plenty of leafy vegetables," he informs. He has just returned from Thailand after flexing his muscles for some of the "toughest action sequences".

Full circle 
As a child Ronit wanted to be an actor as well as gain stardom and he is happy to have achieved both. "It's a lovely balance. I have got critical acclaim as well as fame. Any actor who says acclaim is not important is lying," says Ronit, who besides acting is also running a security agency that provides security to some of the top stars. 

Ladies man
Ronit's colourful personal life has always been fodder for gossip. Whether it was his choreographer partner Nicole Alvares in the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa or co-stars of his serials, he has been linked with almost every woman. "Ninety percent of it wasn't true. Women feel comfortable with me, but it does not mean I have a scene with them," he clarifies. He, however, admits that he is over his wild party days and nightlife and is shuffling between work and home now. "I reach home and go to bed early. I have my kids, who have to follow a routine, and I have to lead by example," he says simply.

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

Trieshdirk41lalmadhuRamdeewanisparikhsimlavidhiuknaik99leena04Mani-RKvironikajainsushfiza-Swetha-

mano86 IF-Rockerz
mano86
mano86

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing Smile
simlavidhi IF-Dazzler
simlavidhi
simlavidhi

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged
Tfs...
sushfiza IF-Sizzlerz
sushfiza
sushfiza

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 3:56am | IP Logged
tfs
jineejiggs IF-Sizzlerz
jineejiggs
jineejiggs

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing
Ramdeewani IF-Dazzler
Ramdeewani
Ramdeewani

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged
Thanks for SharingBig smile
leena04 IF-Sizzlerz
leena04
leena04

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing...
Mani-RK IF-Sizzlerz
Mani-RK
Mani-RK

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged
lol ab muje samaj aaya wat exactly he meant so Ram is the highest paid actor Party

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top