Chhan Chhan

India-Forums

Chhan Chhan
Chhan Chhan

ChhanChhan - typical Saas Bahu show? (Page 9)

-Drishti- IF-Sizzlerz
-Drishti-
-Drishti-

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mads

I read a few reviews that were posted around, questioning the fate f this show that may have prompted up these questions among people... the problem is that since time immemorial, daily soap is equivalent to saas bahu saga, because one cannot simply make a show that runs on for years together without the involvement of these two characters and family issues...those that run for a short while have NEVER been shows of this genre,, so invariably, ALL the shows that have been dailies and have the elements of families in it and have run on for more than a couple of years either ARE saas bahu shows to begin with or turn into one pretty soon..because there is no other way that they can proceed..

so the moment one hears a daily show, plus involvement of khadus/evil saas and sweet bahu (may or may not be meek) and huge conservative families, they immediately make up their minds that its a saas-bahu show...and the have plenty of previous examples to support their thoughts.. so I wouldn't say that the reaction is exactly abnormal.. 

Whether or not chanchan falls into that category remains to be seen.. the only thing that promises me that it will be otherwise is the previous work from this PH..although 'saas bina sasuraal' was a show without saas, so no danger of it turning into oneLOL men can never be as entertaining in terms of melodrama as women are LOL and only when one sees clearly through the characters in chanchan, can one see that the saas is actually NOT evil, as you have rightfully pointed out diya.. "bhagwaan sabka bhala karein, lekin shuruvaat mujhse karein".. is not just a dialogue said coz it sounds good to the ears...it is vintage umaben.. that she does care for the world, but only after her own needs and desires are satisfied... the fact that she did, inspite of everything, look for a nice groom (in her own eyes) for purvi, one of her employee's daughter, shows she does care about the people... that she tried to force it on him later on when he didn't want it to happen is another issue.. but the fact remains that she did.. plus I am sure many of the elderly women out there will definitely empathise with her...because she is doing nothing wrong in their eyes..for people who have been strongly believing in something for 50 years, suddenly changing all those ideologies and being told to do so especially by someone half their age, is not just ludicrous to their mind, but even insulting...it will take some time for them to change their mindset...and I can safely say that the day when chanchan manages to change umaben's mindset to the point that umaben reaches atleast halfway to where chanchan is..is the day this show comes to an end.. and THAT would make this show different.. rather than just beinging about different aspects of family politics, they have actually generated a hope amongst the audience that a normal girl CAN bring about a change in the society by being herself.. 

the only problem that I feel here is that right now, uma ben is tooo blackish whereas chanchan is too white-ish.. whatever chanchan does, goes therefore in the 'mahaan' category.. also I feel the dialogues praising chanchan every other minute for whatever she does can be a bit too much.. let only her deeds speak and nobody else.. but since this is just the second week and I'm sure the makers want to desperately imprint chanchan is people's minds, I'll give them the benefit of doubt.. and I'd love to see more shades of umaben..already we have some - for all her strict ideologies, she is a very sweet and loving grandmother to her grandchildren...and also an equally loving mother to her daughter..that her daughter is not the ideal daughter is another issueLOL manav is clearly the apple of her eye...can see why she agrees chanchan-manav marriage now.. 

Did I just see Mads here? :OOO HugHug

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

madsDiyaS

TabassumR Senior Member
TabassumR
TabassumR

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged
There is a problem with labelling shows as "saas-bahu-saga", "love-hate-saga" and so on. I think the genres that exist are:
1. Romance
2. Drama
3. Social
4. Sitcom
5. Thriller
6. Mystery

I don't think shows are just one thing, they tend to be a lot of these things (especially the Top 4), but will overwhelmingly have one flavour. I know one shouldn't compare, but to me SWC is 1, 2 and 3 but with a tilt towards 2. Madhubala is 1 & 2 with a tilt towards 1. To me Chhanchhan is 1, 2, 3 and 4 at this point. I can't yet be sure which direction it will tilt towards. I know for sure it won't be 1 LOL, but it could be be drama, social or sitcom. And frankly I won't be bothered too much as long as I feel entertained. Week 1 I watched it for Sanaya. But I can't watch a daily soap for just one actor. I mean, the only thing that I can watch for just one actor would be a Rajinikanth movie. I can ignore story, logic, all other characters LOL But thankfully Rajinikanth doesn't do daily soaps. And unless I feel invested at least in some of the other characters as well, I can't watch the show. It has very little to do with genre. Lots of romances are frightfully boring and some family dramas are sharply written with at least a few beloved characters. What if tomorrow Sanaya takes some time off for JDJ or some other reason, can the show keep me interested? I am still looking for that. I feel that before Chhanchhan 'fixes' Uma Ben, the writers need to fix Uma Ben and I daresay Chhanchhan too. Make them different, but don't give all the goodness to one and all that is evil to the other. Sanaya is a good actor, Supriya Pathak is thoroughly underrated brilliant actor -- give both characters more nuance and we are good to go. Also, any good story needs to show more than tell. I think that is required for this show. Let them not spell out everything. It is interesting that in the case of Uma Ben they get the show don't tell aspect well, but somehow don't do the same with Manav and Chhanchhan LOL Which is why everyone goes on about how good Chhanchhan is. I think the overzealousness can be tiresome LOL I also hope that the story is not so much about how Chhanchhan neutralises Uma Ben, but is more about how she helps Uma Ben see better and meet her halfway. All characters need to grow up, to me that is how even a "saas-bahu-saga" can be made fun.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Appy-NewbiesoapfanmadsDiyaSprincessunara

Newbiesoapfan IF-Sizzlerz
Newbiesoapfan
Newbiesoapfan

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TabassumR

There is a problem with labelling shows as "saas-bahu-saga", "love-hate-saga" and so on. I think the genres that exist are:
1. Romance
2. Drama
3. Social
4. Sitcom
5. Thriller
6. Mystery

I don't think shows are just one thing, they tend to be a lot of these things (especially the Top 4), but will overwhelmingly have one flavour. I know one shouldn't compare, but to me SWC is 1, 2 and 3 but with a tilt towards 2. Madhubala is 1 & 2 with a tilt towards 1. To me Chhanchhan is 1, 2, 3 and 4 at this point. I can't yet be sure which direction it will tilt towards. I know for sure it won't be 1 LOL, but it could be be drama, social or sitcom. And frankly I won't be bothered too much as long as I feel entertained. Week 1 I watched it for Sanaya. But I can't watch a daily soap for just one actor. I mean, the only thing that I can watch for just one actor would be a Rajinikanth movie. I can ignore story, logic, all other characters LOL But thankfully Rajinikanth doesn't do daily soaps. And unless I feel invested at least in some of the other characters as well, I can't watch the show. It has very little to do with genre. Lots of romances are frightfully boring and some family dramas are sharply written with at least a few beloved characters. What if tomorrow Sanaya takes some time off for JDJ or some other reason, can the show keep me interested? I am still looking for that. I feel that before Chhanchhan 'fixes' Uma Ben, the writers need to fix Uma Ben and I daresay Chhanchhan too. Make them different, but don't give all the goodness to one and all that is evil to the other. Sanaya is a good actor, Supriya Pathak is thoroughly underrated brilliant actor -- give both characters more nuance and we are good to go. Also, any good story needs to show more than tell. I think that is required for this show. Let them not spell out everything. It is interesting that in the case of Uma Ben they get the show don't tell aspect well, but somehow don't do the same with Manav and Chhanchhan LOL Which is why everyone goes on about how good Chhanchhan is. I think the overzealousness can be tiresome LOL I also hope that the story is not so much about how Chhanchhan neutralises Uma Ben, but is more about how she helps Uma Ben see better and meet her halfway. All characters need to grow up, to me that is how even a "saas-bahu-saga" can be made fun.
Ladki -- bang on as usual! Rajni and daily soaps -- ROFL... and all Rajni movies are not watchable --- am a Tamilian so don't hit me!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Appy-DiyaS

MrDarcyfan IF-Sizzlerz
MrDarcyfan
MrDarcyfan

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 3:35am | IP Logged
Very insightful post! I have seen only 1 episode of Chanchan so far, but do intend to watch the rest because of Sanaya! But your post has highlighted some very interesting points! It is not only poor or uneducated people that have narrow thinking!

As for bribery and currption, that is definitely the playground of the rich and the powerful! There is no two ways about that!

Edited by MrDarcyfan - 10 April 2013 at 3:35am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Appy-NewbiesoapfanDiyaS

hide IF-Rockerz
hide
hide

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 3:41am | IP Logged
govt. needed to set rules whereby poverty needed to be eradicated, giving social security benefits to the people with the taxes which they pay to the govt. .. dependency is the problem in the culture hence people are demanding things out of their parents thinking about their secure future.. dowry is integrated to country's culture, where equality for men and woman are not par, though not in all parts of the country..

these are cultural issues, and bold steps needed to be taken to remove it.. like sathi was removed in the 18th century with so much revolt within the communities..

but what we see is politically elected people's vested interests, hence country cannot progress.. 

not sure whether TV shows can make too much impact on these issues.. every parents / children needed to make an effort to change this system.. not only son can take care of their parents, their daughters can too needed to be implemented in everyone's mind 

Edited by lats22 - 10 April 2013 at 3:42am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DiyaS

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 3:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TabassumR

1. Romance
2. Drama
3. Social
4. Sitcom
5. Thriller
6. Mystery

I like your classification of shows ... pretty accurate Big smile 
Since Ash has warned me, I won't comment about Rajnikanth as I am not a Tamilian ... I will get jootas for sure LOL 

Yes, I am also enjoying the slow detailing of Uma Ben's character ... I think the initial melodrama put people off and feel that she is completely black ... but now more layers are being added, so she is the most interesting character on the show as of now. The unraveling of the relationships in that family is going to be interesting.

I like both Sanaya and Supriya ... if a show is mediocre and has good acting, I can watch it, if a show has a good story but mediocre acting, I find it more difficult to watch ... so for Chhanchhan, I am already good to go Big smile

-Appy-

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 3:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by MrDarcyfan

Very insightful post! I have seen only 1 episode of Chanchan so far, but do intend to watch the rest because of Sanaya! But your post has highlighted some very interesting points! It is not only poor or uneducated people that have narrow thinking!

As for bribery and currption, that is definitely the playground of the rich and the powerful! There is no two ways about that!

Thanks! @ bold ... yes, and that's the sad part ... we keep saying that education is needed for social reform, but literate does not always mean educated unfortunately.

Bribery and corruption ... at each and every level ... traffic cop, government clerk, right up to the highest level ... Ouch

-Appy-

Go to top