Chhan Chhan

India-Forums

Chhan Chhan
Chhan Chhan

ChhanChhan - typical Saas Bahu show? (Page 5)

BillyJean. IF-Sizzlerz
BillyJean.
BillyJean.

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged
Well thought and writtenClap

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DiyaS

Chaandaniya IF-Rockerz
Chaandaniya
Chaandaniya

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged
Well written

DiyaS

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by S.Stephy

Whether this show is a typical saas bahu or not, I'm not sure yet. Its too early to say that esp since as of now there is no saas or bahu. But I think this show might eventually go down the typical route. While the issues such as dowry, etc are very much prevalent in the Indian society and this includes even the educated urban sectors and it would be nice to see the show tackle these issues... but I would prefer if these issues are handled in a sensible way and not in the typical melodramatic way. The way the dowry issue was revealed and the wedding was stopped at the pheras is a very cliched melodramatic concept... and these are not exactly my cup of tea. So if this is the kind of approach the show would take to deal with any other issues inc the saas-bahu issues, then I may not really be interested in it. But for now, I'm just trying out this show to see if there'll be anything that would interest me before calling it quits.

I'd rather wait and watch before predicting what route the show will go down ... although most saas bahu shows are fairly predictable, I would like to believe that with actresses the calibre of Sanaya and Supriya P, the show is likely to go a different route. Neither of them are mainstream saas bahu actresses, and I  feel they would have seen something different in the show to take it up.
Melodrama is a part and parcel of daily soaps as well as Bollywood movies ... to expect any soap to be free of it is unrealistic, and almost all on screen weddings are events for major drama ... so that part was very predictable ...  weddings can be called off because of dowry demands, but they definitely don't make headlines ... or good drama Tongue It would be interesting to know how you would have liked the dowry issue to have been dealt with on screen ... maybe you have some suggestions? In a way which would make a point to the audience but avoid melodrama ...

I guess your last line says it all ... you're not really interested in the show because of the genre ... or because of what you feel is the genre. Which is exactly the point I was making, to be honest ... as I get the feeling that many people have very closed minds to the genre as such. Not surprising ... because the way most of these show have gone in the past, has not been interesting at all for a certain section of the audience ... although the bulk of the TRP audience definitely seems to lap up these shows.

Thanks for posting!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

stp007princessunara

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sho-shweet

Very well put !
I absolutey loved the dowry thing in CC as well as your post.Yes,this is true that the educated and the so called modern and liberal people like us don't have the guts to say bad about our out-dated and baseless traditions and keep following them even after knowing the banes associated with them.

I so loved when they showed CC and her freinds taking an stand over this issue and their elders supporting them,instead of cursing the education and modernism.I wrote this thing somewhere and I'm writing it here again that this is the NAYI SOCH,not what we see in cookery competition and pickle buisness dramas.

That's what I felt too ... and often, the younger ones are told exactly the same things that Uma Ben said ... you are too young, you don't know, this is the way things are always done, leave it to your elders etc etc. The fact is that it is the youth who are idealistic, as they get older they become cynical and more accepting of the ways of the world, as well as more set in their ways. Hence changes can only be brought about by the young ... but they also need the support of their elders ... which was very refreshing to see in the show. It was wonderful to see the same thing in the Delhi protests in December as well ... students and young people were protesting, and they were encouraged and supported by their elders to take part in the protests.

princessunara

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ayshaomar

love the post
its true the show is a Saas Bahu one but not the typical type where the MIL is full on ruling and the DIL has no backbone
here CC isnt afraid to stand up for what she believes in and what she has been taught
the show also has a light comic feel to it
and i love it for its uniqueness in addressing issues
it is real to life, modern girls are more outspoken, more aware and less likely to be pushed around

and its true its the educated people that are more at fault with dowry as they feel they are higher than others and are deserving
also the fact that dowry is a big issue and is illegal? and now is masked under the notion of 'gifts' etc was highlighted by UmaBen too..so it is definitely raising the right issues in society and doing it in a good way too

Thanks for posting! The best thing so far is that the fight is not one-sided, with the old and corrupt ruling and the younger and weaker one getting crushed ... (so far it's not MIL vs DIL Wink ) ... it is about how one can counter attack and fight back even when the odds are against you ... plus the issues are not huge social revolutions, it's more about how each and every one of us can make a change if we want to. And very true ... modern girls are more outspoken and ready to stand up for what they believe in ...

Dowry is illegal, therefore it now cloaked under the guise of "gifts" ... I liked the way that was brought out ... and how Uma Ben tried to justify it ... very true to life as to how people try to justify dowry demands ... but also showing her own mindset and her reasons for encouraging the practice, not just greed, but also a firm belief that it is a good practice and the reason she believes it. But that's the way it all starts, and then goes overboard ...

princessunara

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by jaya100

I love reading your posts, you put a lot of thought into them and make them thought provoking too. As the mother of a daughter I love the scenario your mom put forward...if you are in a position to do something does it make it alright to do it? I wouldn't want to succumb to anyone's demands but then the balance is if it is a one off then my daughters happiness is at stake...but is it ever a one off?? In my case though I think my daughter has too much self respect to allow this to happen. Love or not I don't think she would respect a man who would make any kind of demands and without respect there is no love. One of the main things I love about CC is her self esteem and I hope the CV's don't lose that because if even one women can pick that up from this show then the whole show has been worth it.

hi Jaya ... and ditto ... I love reading your posts too Big smile
It's a tough question ... on the one hand, your principles, on the other hand, your child's happiness ... at no major cost to you ... but then where do you draw the line? It's true that most people would tend to compromise and give in ... and probably also true that in most cases, things would work out fine, especially if the parents had checked out the family beforehand, which most people DO tend to do ... but one in a hundred cases could go wrong ... and if that one is your child, then statistics be damned, the other 99 don't make an iota of difference ... you would always regret that you gave way and your child suffered. I also feel my daughter would have too much self respect to give in to such demands, and she could never respect a man who agreed to them in the first place. If a man cannot respect your parents and your values, then you cannot respect him ... and if you can't respect him, then no point marrying him.

I like Chhanchhan's self-esteem too ... at the moment, I find Chhanchhan a very real character ...  she is idealistic, but her parents have brought her up with those ideals, and she's not a preacher, she's more a doer. And that's what I hope people pick up from the show ... its not necessary to bring revolutions by trying to change the world ... just remain true to yourself and do what you believe in.

princessunara

princessunara IF-Stunnerz
princessunara
princessunara

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DiyaS

Originally posted by pink.lotus

Originally posted by DiyaS

Originally posted by Dr.Zombie

Res!

First of all I need to clear my concept of a typical saas-bhahu drama! Nt getting why CC is termed as a Typical Saas-Bhau show!Tongue

Hehe ... that's my doubt too ... I thought achar making was a must for a saas bahu show ... apparently I was mistaken Tongue

D!  did you forget umaben instructing her badi bahu about achar?

Hawww  ... *making O face*  I phorgot LOLLOLLOL Achar making ... done!! This is officially a saas bahu show! ROFL

LOL
but u know what this reminded me of something from the past. in IPk when the Payal mami issue was brought up we discussed this in the forum and decided that it was good to have a side track of saas-bahu warfare of bechari bahu and gabbar saasuma.. cz it leaves the heroin aka Khushi to be without a saas but still will give the saas-bahu aunties a reason to watch thus good for TRPs..

in this too lol i see it kind of like that.. it is the side character bahu who will make achar..not the female lead!Star
the most i see her making (alone) is a cupcake!! LOL just like the wonderful chef who is playing the role!! TongueROFL

DiyaS

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by capricorn2006

Thought provoking post !

I for one feel very strongly that the thinking that dowry, female foeticide or other such practices exist only in the uneducated masses is a complete misconception. It is just that the educated and affluent class have better intelligence and means to hide it or cloak it with terms like 'vyavhaar' for dowry.

Coming to the show, chanchan was always supposed to be a saas bahu show because that is the relationship between the two female leads of the show. I don't know what 'typical ' stands for but personally the kind of saas bahu shows that do not interest me are the kitchen politics ones with conspiring MILs and SILs or where the DIL is a meek victim. 

My hope from the show was that it will be an ideological clash between Umaben and Chanchan where Umaben will be an orthodox and arrogant MIL but probably having her own reasons for the way she is. I was a bit disappointed with her character in the show as it was looking one dimensional. But somehow how she justified her support for dowry in the last episode, her dynamics with her husband and how she uses him to rule over her DILs makes me again hope that the character will be more layered than it seems and that they are going to show what made her the way she is. If that is the case then I am interested. 

At the end of the day it is a show and the fact is that what we call melodrama actually sells. It is early days yet and I am still keeping my faith in this PH and two wonderful actresses - Supriya and Sanaya. If the show does not go the way which keeps me entertained , I would much rather prefer not to watch it rather than constantly criticizing it or lamenting about how Sanaya made a wrong choice. Even if the show does not appeal to me, I would be very happy for Sanaya if the show clicks with the mainstream TRP audience and it gets her the much deserved accolades for her talent.

Lovely post Clap
I wanted to reply to each point you made, but realised I would end up repeating everything you said Big smile  A big ditto to all  ... I was also a bit disappointed with Uma Ben the first week, but now they have started unravelling the layers to her as well as those of her "perfect" family ... so she is getting interesting again.

The world is run by the educated and the powerful ... and they don't follow he straight and narrow, not by a long way. Misuse of power and money is done more often by the so-called educated classes ... and they are clever enough to disguise it, or arrogant enough to think they can get away with it without bothering to disguise it.

Your last para, especially @bold  ... Clap again you said it all. Melodrama gets TRPs ... if the cv's manage to keep this real and devoid of kitchen politics and scheming women, I will enjoy watching ... if not, the TRP audience will enjoy it ...
 I am also pinning my hopes on Sanaya and Supriya and my faith in their choices based on past experience of both actresses ... I will probably keep watching regardless, but I will be really happy even if it goes the cliched way if that means Sanaya gets her much deserved accolades from the industry and the TRP audience ... she already did in her last show, it would be wonderful to see her repeat her success - and get a hat-trick of hits.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Siestaprincessunara

Go to top