Chhan Chhan

India-Forums

Chhan Chhan
Chhan Chhan

ChhanChhan - typical Saas Bahu show? (Page 2)

-Appy- IF-Dazzler
-Appy-
-Appy-

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 3:19am | IP Logged
must say that you have indeed given an interesting bhashan...I will not delve too much on the real social issues as they seem too deeply rooted in our culture...and one really needs to shake up lots of people to get it out of the system, even the mind sets of people need too change...like sunara points out...I remember feeling sooo sad and even crying in the dowry wala episode of satyamev jayate...

waise...the first answer that comes to my mind to your post title...let it be a saas-bahu show..for it do well with the TRP aunties...I want it to be the saas bahu show they want...cause I want to see Sanaya's show topping the TRP chart Day Dreaming I don't consider myself the majority TV viewing audience of India at all...but for the show and its makers to get the money they have put it...let it please the majority audience...

on a personal note...if the show gives me some comic moments and has some good story going...I can watch it Smile and of course watching Sanaya back on TV and light up my screen is a definite plusBig smile

edit: totally forgot to say...so nice to see your post on IFHugHug...have missed your TWTW (BBC typesLOL) big time...I remember waiting for them eagerly and even mega spamming at one of them Day Dreaming...

Edited by -Aps- - 08 April 2013 at 3:33am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

jaya100DiyaSprincessunara

ipkknd-fan IF-Dazzler
ipkknd-fan
ipkknd-fan

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 3:30am | IP Logged
Awsome post loved reading it :)

-Appy-jaya100DiyaS

pink.lotus Goldie
pink.lotus
pink.lotus

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 3:30am | IP Logged
there is a saas, there is a bahu, they are locking horns = saas bahu serial.
and don't tell me cc is not married and  so technically the label  is wrong..

diya, i love the way  that you emphasized that uma ben is not black.. i agree.
uma ben is not the typical black character with evil in her heart..
in my opinion, she is a worldly wise woman... like you said, she knows..and uses... the power that her position has.  just like about 80% of all people  who have the power to influence things.

there is more i want to write, but sorry, no time. maybe i will come back later when i have time.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Appy-

Newbiesoapfan IF-Sizzlerz
Newbiesoapfan
Newbiesoapfan

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged
Thanks Diya-- not saas bahu but two protagonists on the opposite sides of the spectrum with different ideas at the moment who amy become saas/bahu later.

Both the issues presented are topical and relevant and are surely issues that one should champion.

While the premise is good... the promise of a lighter show is possibly what has got us confused. At the moment the show has taken up these issues right at the beginning and San is looking like Rajani of old... which is not completely palatable... that she will prove to be a good match for Supriya's ideas has already been proved... but what we want is that this clash of ideologies should not degenerate into kitchen politics or into something more serious like Satyameva Jayate ... I have confidence that Supriya and Sanaya wouldn't let it go there but then TRP maata ka kya kehna?

-Appy-jaya100DiyaS

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by princessunara

res urs na will read later going out for nowEmbarrassed

EDITED

A standing ovation to u!! ClapClapClap
Reading part of it took me back to the Satyamev Jayate episodes i watched on Dowry and female foeticide..
Indeed it might be a saas bahu show. But a saas bahu show which's backdrop is as u clearly pointed out is not a regressive, uneducated village untouched by the modernization of the 21st century. But instead it is about the story next door..

And that issue on what u said about a scenario where a girl and a guy fall in love and at the last minute he says that he can't go against his parents' dowry (in the guise of gifts of course) demands is what was showcased in the movie Lajja by Ajay Devgan, Madhuri, Maheema, Maneesha..
As the title of the name suggested these things done under the parda of customs and traditions that mark women as second class citizens is indeed a 'lajja' to the society we live in!

So indeed as those statistics in Satyamev Jayate clearly stated it is indeed educated, urban crowds who seemed to openly practice the dowry taking as well as the other things u mentioned.
Sigh,.. isn't it weird that when a son is a doctor his wife has to bring a bugger dowry. but what if the girl is a doctor? shouldn't the guy bring an equally bigger dowry then?

anyway wonderful post..it clearly differentiates CC from the rest as this is a different reality that is most likely much closer to home than those regressive shows..cz this could probably be the story of the house next to yours..

Hey Sunara Hug 

Like a lot of people here have said, I need to also figure out what exactly is the definition of saas bahu show Tongue    Is it strict saas vs crying silently suffering bahu ... is it evil vs good ... is it tradition vs modernity - bearing in mind that modernity is usually taken as the evil in Indian telly, and tradition is taken as good LOL so modern being good is in itself quite a revolutionary thought. Not too many bahus have brought revolution by dropping their pallus ... as Chhanchhan seems all set to do LOL

I didn't remember the Lajja story till you reminded me ... for dowry, there is a real life example of Nisha Sharma who called the police to her wedding mandap and got her in-laws arrested for their last minute dowry demands ... after her many girls got the courage to stand against dowry demands ...

So yes, here the characters are pretty true to life ... including Uma Ben, who represents a many people who misuse their power and their money ... not necessarily to commit major crimes ... but a lot of wrongdoing all under the umbrella of "tradition". And it's not easy to change such people.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

jaya100princessunara

Rithu.Nair Senior Member
Rithu.Nair
Rithu.Nair

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:28am | IP Logged
Whatever it is so beautiful to watchSmile

jaya100

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by GodhuliLogon

Chhanchhan might be a typical saas bahu show, or it might not. But with the setting it's based in, it will throw up some interesting scenarios. Supriya P might or might not be typical evil saas ... but she is already a reflection of some of the problems in the educated classes of India.

@bold ... THIS...

I have to search the definition of Saas bahu show .. CC still did not show any kitchen politics and as such .. but still some ppl r imposing this on CC.. dont know why ..

I found they are touching the regressive mentality which still exits in educated and well off family

Yep, exactly ... there are no kitchen politics here, or women plotting against each other ... which I always thought was the basis of labelling saas bahu shows ... maybe I haven't watched too many, so am not sure what they involve Tongue   This seemed more about the regressive side of Indian traditions which still exist today even among the so-called educated classes.

jaya100NewbiesoapfanGodhuliLogon

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Drishti-

Originally posted by DiyaS

Sharu, sunara ... have I written such a long bhashan?
LOL

Well, I wouldn't call it a bhashan per say but long it is! LOL

What does everyone mean by a typical saas bahu show? Is it showing the saas as always being the evil one, is it a suppressed victimized bahu who will ultimately rise or is it a combination of both? With Chhanchhan, Umaben may or may not become completely black .. But Chhanchhan will NOT become a victimized bahu. As we have seen till now, she does always put forth her pov and stands up for what she believes is right. This will not change when she goes into that house as a bahu .. Atleast, that's what the whole base of the story is about! So if a typical saas bahu show is one where is both a suppressed bahu and an evil saas, then no.. Chhanchhan is not, and will not be a typical saas bahu show because not just CC, Uma ben too, as you've written is till now, a very very real character!

You've written it beautifully.. All the real-life issues that they've touched upon extremely well in the first 2 weeks of the show.. Here's hoping that they continue to send these social messages which if nothing else, atleast creates some sort of awareness regarding these issues!

"Long" is my bad habit, as you know, Drish ... maybe another social evil that needs to be changed Tongue 

That's what I liked in the first two weeks ... the issues are real, and they are issues which not many people feel the drive to fight about because they seem too small at first glance, and are so deeply entrenched ... even the standard practice of greasing some palms to get your work done ... "chai paani ke liye" ...

The best part is that Chhanchhan will not be meek and silent ... she will try to change things in her own way ... though how she will change that pallu wearing tradition, I have no clue, it seems to be carved in stone as of now!!! But that's the problem ... we all tend to accept certain customs even if we don't like them, because it seems not worth fighting over ... but that acceptance is what makes them progressively more difficult to change. And that's what will be interesting to watch ... how she handles herself, stays true to her own values and tries to bring about that change.

jaya100

Go to top