India-Forums

Chhan Chhan
Chhan Chhan

ChhanChhan - typical Saas Bahu show?

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged
Read some reports on Chhanchhan going the typical saas bahu way. Also watched Jolly LLB over the weekend. Sparked some thoughts in my mind.

I have to mention another saas bahu show ruling the roost today ... some friends and I had a discussion that one of the reasons it rules is because it addresses a section of the audience where it is difficult for a woman to raise her voice, because of deep rooted conventions and traditions. Hence the MIL is shown as a traditional MIL, and her beliefs are attributed to lack of education ... in other words, she has an excuse for behaving the way she does, hence we take her as not being purely black, but grey ... her POV is understandable because of her background.

Chhanchhan on the other hand, we brand Uma Ben as being pure black.
But is she all that unreal?

The highest rates for female foeticide in India are in Punjab, one of the wealthiest states of India. Even worse, the rates are higher among the so-called "educated" classes.
 So what excuse do they have? Can't say lack of education here is a reason, can we? And the basic reason for female foeticide actually comes back to dowry, well, one of the reasons, anyway. The girl child is a burden because she is 'paraya dhan', she will go off to her in-laws and it's the son who will be the support in his parents' old age ... and when the daughter goes, she has to married off with a lot of pomp and splendour, and given gifts ... which can impoverish the parents. And the more educated the groom ... a doctor, engineer, lawyer, government servant ... the HIGHER is the dowry. So education does not seem to have helped to eradicate the system, it has actually made it worse. And dowry being a punishable offense, it is now cloaked under the guise of "gifts".

Other saas bahu shows are comfortable to watch, because one can keep them at arm's length, ignore them ... and say "Oh this is not about us, this is about the uneducated masses."
But if dowry was only happening among the uneducated masses, then it wouldn't be a problem in cities, would it? Female foeticide would happen only in poor villages, and not in rich urban settings ...

My mom asked me this question ... if a girl is in love, getting married, and the guy at the last minute tells her that his parents want dowry and he also thinks there is nothing wrong with their demand ... what should the girl do? Especially if the dowry is not going to impoverish the girl's parents, but is not going to the girl either ... like "gifts" for the boy's parents, siblings, relatives, a demand to have the wedding in a five star hotel, have at least five functions, etc etc ... Demands which may not impoverish the parents, but will strain their resources and may be more than what they had planned to spend. What should the girl do? 

Many educated people make these demands, because they feel their standing in society demands this. And most parents give in, because they feel it is a one off thing. They may be right, they might be wrong. If they are wrong, it could be tragic for their daughter.
Also when a girl gets married, it is a custom in some communities that the girl's maternal grandfather, or failing that, her mamas (mother's brothers) are expected to finance the girl's wedding dress and jewelry. Again going back to the perception ... a girl is a burden from birth until death.

Touching on the other evil shown ... bribery ... that is definitely not about the poor uneducated masses... that is about the rich using their money and power to get away with murder. As was shown in Jolly LLB, as happened in the real case it was inspired from, as happened in the Jessica Lal case. Okay, these are big things ... But small everyday instances ... bribing a police constable when you skip a red light, bribing a govt official for a phone connection, using "pull" or contacts to skip queues ... that's done by people with power and money ... they also happen to be educated. Small things, but they reflect the problems in society today. I think everyone who has contacts at shrines like Vaishno Devi, uses some contacts to get darshan quickly and skip the queue ... use or misuse of power and authority? How many times have you see the windows of expensive cars roll down and people throw out trash on the roads while driving?

Chhanchhan might be a typical saas bahu show, or it might not. But with the setting it's based in, it will throw up some interesting scenarios. Supriya P might or might not be typical evil saas ... but she is already a reflection of some of the problems in the educated classes of India.

Edited by DiyaS - 08 April 2013 at 1:18am

The following 69 member(s) liked the above post:

samjhanasangeeta230811DeeS94lovesarun09IPKKNDDIEHARDkashevPaula_bear-HeerRanjha-rajvtaluvbbat-Emma.K-sonam21Strawberry_pieblueszTabassumRstp007sulu_123anamunirRavissanteSannypink.lotuskojagoryfansslmay11Decent6Chori-Alinaa-spsharmilaSiesta-SAM1445--Pallavi-meshas-Appy-ddsoapspugletsho-shweetAmritsari.JugniSS88SanzforSushAmazingAmyipkknd-fan.Frozen.ChaandaniyaVenus.XAnotherAdmirerSwaNia_2IndigoBlueshidejaya100cherrypansystg1LivingInPajamasayshaomarCDloveNeloufer.FAYKHAN29NewbiesoapfanMrDarcyfanbikeriderOmNaMaSteOmmads-Drishti-CandYlicious_SAnisha.mpatGodhuliLogonkbtramaiaNaz_nisarprincessunaraArshi.Sugi.IPKxAaliya

bikerider IF-Sizzlerz
bikerider
bikerider

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:19am | IP Logged
Diya loved you  post 
The issue with daily  soap is  
The leafs  have to getmaried  in the show asap so that  the ml and fl can be in the same sceneLOL
You do need villain so  when leads  r married    Who else is better than ml,s monLOL

Only  some shows like jessy jaisa koi nahi  went  on office track  rather than home track sorry correct me if i am wrongCry

About dowry  and mil  and  so many issues  the main issue  is still majority   Will go with the flow  hence  in cc i would like  to know  how  they will keep  the  mahan  and real cc  balance  and  this is the uniqueness of the show.

Edited by tvshowfan - 08 April 2013 at 6:27am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

jaya100DiyaSprincessunara

princessunara IF-Stunnerz
princessunara
princessunara

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged
res urs na will read later going out for nowEmbarrassed

EDITED

A standing ovation to u!! ClapClapClap
Reading part of it took me back to the Satyamev Jayate episodes i watched on Dowry and female foeticide..
Indeed it might be a saas bahu show. But a saas bahu show which's backdrop is as u clearly pointed out is not a regressive, uneducated village untouched by the modernization of the 21st century. But instead it is about the story next door..

And that issue on what u said about a scenario where a girl and a guy fall in love and at the last minute he says that he can't go against his parents' dowry (in the guise of gifts of course) demands is what was showcased in the movie Lajja by Ajay Devgan, Madhuri, Maheema, Maneesha..
As the title of the name suggested these things done under the parda of customs and traditions that mark women as second class citizens is indeed a 'lajja' to the society we live in!

So indeed as those statistics in Satyamev Jayate clearly stated it is indeed educated, urban crowds who seemed to openly practice the dowry taking as well as the other things u mentioned.
Sigh,.. isn't it weird that when a son is a doctor his wife has to bring a bugger dowry. but what if the girl is a doctor? shouldn't the guy bring an equally bigger dowry then?

anyway wonderful post..it clearly differentiates CC from the rest as this is a different reality that is most likely much closer to home than those regressive shows..cz this could probably be the story of the house next to yours..

Edited by princessunara - 08 April 2013 at 3:11am

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

spsharmilasslmay11anamunir-Appy-ddsoapsayshaomarstg1.Frozen.jaya100DiyaSAnisha.FAYKHAN29Newbiesoapfan

DiyaS IF-Sizzlerz
DiyaS
DiyaS

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged
 Sharu, sunara ... have I written such a long bhashan?  LOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

bikeriderNewbiesoapfanprincessunara

GodhuliLogon IF-Sizzlerz
GodhuliLogon
GodhuliLogon

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 2:51am | IP Logged
Chhanchhan might be a typical saas bahu show, or it might not. But with the setting it's based in, it will throw up some interesting scenarios. Supriya P might or might not be typical evil saas ... but she is already a reflection of some of the problems in the educated classes of India.

@bold ... THIS...

I have to search the definition of Saas bahu show .. CC still did not show any kitchen politics and as such .. but still some ppl r imposing this on CC.. dont know why ..

I found they are touching the regressive mentality which still exits in educated and well off family

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Appy-pugletjaya100DiyaS

-SAM1445- Goldie
-SAM1445-
-SAM1445-

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged
awesome post loved reading it...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

jaya100DiyaS

-Drishti- IF-Sizzlerz
-Drishti-
-Drishti-

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 2:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by DiyaS

Sharu, sunara ... have I written such a long bhashan?
LOL

Well, I wouldn't call it a bhashan per say but long it is! LOL

What does everyone mean by a typical saas bahu show? Is it showing the saas as always being the evil one, is it a suppressed victimized bahu who will ultimately rise or is it a combination of both? With Chhanchhan, Umaben may or may not become completely black .. But Chhanchhan will NOT become a victimized bahu. As we have seen till now, she does always put forth her pov and stands up for what she believes is right. This will not change when she goes into that house as a bahu .. Atleast, that's what the whole base of the story is about! So if a typical saas bahu show is one where is both a suppressed bahu and an evil saas, then no.. Chhanchhan is not, and will not be a typical saas bahu show because not just CC, Uma ben too, as you've written is till now, a very very real character!

You've written it beautifully.. All the real-life issues that they've touched upon extremely well in the first 2 weeks of the show.. Here's hoping that they continue to send these social messages which if nothing else, atleast creates some sort of awareness regarding these issues!

Edited by -Drishti- - 08 April 2013 at 3:01am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Appy-jaya100stg1Newbiesoapfanprincessunara

Alpenliebe IF-Dazzler
Alpenliebe
Alpenliebe

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 3:03am | IP Logged
Res!

First of all I need to clear my concept of a typical saas-bhahu drama! Nt getting why CC is termed as a Typical Saas-Bhau show!Tongue

Go to top