Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Patrarekha

IF-Sizzlerz

Patrarekha

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged
have anyone read the flame and the flower by katheleen.d.woodwiss ?? its called the pioneer of new genre of modern historical romance..but i just don't know how its appreciated by feminists and is called romance

i have stopped counting how many times hero raped heroine

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "the flame and the flower" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

NazmaJ

IF-Sizzlerz

NazmaJ

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged
It's an old fashioned bodice ripper.
In it's time it was pioneering mainly due to the fact that the hero was vile. The heroine was duly raped, tortured and tormented for usually imagined wrong doings but called a romance due to the fact there was the HEA to look forward to. The hero was macho and took what he wanted.
Also the "love scenes" (or rather the violent love making or rape) was explicit which was new for romance therefore pioneering.

These books are not so much in vogue anymore but there are still some who like to see the heroine go through a lot of abuse before she gets her happy ever after so still a few fans about (quite a lot going by the forums and the amount that are available in digital format!)

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Patrarekha

Patrarekha

IF-Sizzlerz

Patrarekha

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged
thanks for commenting..i am fond of historical/periodical romance so was eager to read it when i heard its pioneer of its genre of historical romance
and after going through this i came to know rape is called new genre of romance when the rapist is handsome and macho..
i mean its not wrong to show change of an abusive man with power  of love but chapter after chapter vivid description of rape and violence seemed she is glorifying this in name of romance..and i am shocked when i went through the online reviews and saw how much people loved this concept and were justifying it
no wonder why rape increases all over the world LOL

NazmaJ

NazmaJ

IF-Sizzlerz

NazmaJ

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 12:15am | IP Logged
It's all part and parcel of it being a medieval romance therefore the hero isn't bound by the morals that we are. authors and readers are given the licence to write and enjoy the violence because the hero is following the norms of the time. He can be barbaric because that's what men were back then. 
The author wouldn't be able to write the same way for a contemporary hero because it wouldn't be civilised and the readers would boycott it. The era the book is set in has a big part to play.

Patrarekha

Patrarekha

IF-Sizzlerz

Patrarekha

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 12:34am | IP Logged
yeah that's a point..the timeline justified rape and violence as romance..LOL

NazmaJ

IF-Sizzlerz

NazmaJ

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged
Apart from the violence how's it reading? Anything redeeming about it?

Patrarekha

IF-Sizzlerz

Patrarekha

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged
well actually the reading is good..and truely speaking those vivid descriptions are also enjoyable if i keep my feminist persona aside (i am hardcore feminist)

NazmaJ

IF-Sizzlerz

NazmaJ

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged
May have to have a read myself!!LOL

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.