nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
So as suggested by adhd, I am making a separate thread for this movie.

To be frank, the reason I went to watch this movie was cos of Farhan Akhtar (he's such a natural!), the song Bavre Bavre, and cos the theatre is just at a 5 minutes walk from my place.😆 But I ended up really liking this movie, which showed BW behind the screens and that too in such a non melodramatic, non scandalous manner, unlike Madhur Bhandarkar's movies.

The movie was bang on about the way BW works in so many ways-  a diva's actress daughter getting superhyped even before her debut film releases, while struggling actors try to attend BW parties in aims of hobnobbing with the stars and getting bit roles and starlets hang out with producers and accept it as a necessity to get into the profession and eventually getting dumped; actors not willing to pick roles which were well known to be offered to other actors, scripts being copied straight out of Hollywood flicks, koi bi aira gaira turning director as long as you have contacts. What was refreshing was that all of it was shown laced with slight humour, even the part of showing BW as the BIG BAD industry where infedility is rampant, egoes are fragile and people are too concerned about their images that they end up hurting their own people for it was shown well through the actions of Vikram, the lead protagonist.

The two best bits of the movie for me were- 1.) When KJo (who rightly called himself the brand embassador of nepotism recently), casually remarks to another about how outsiders get a break in the industry only when there emerge roles which no one is willing to take up- that they make a career of out rejects of other stars, giving the example of SRK. 2.) When SRK (who is known to be grounded till date) advises the lead protagonist Vikram, a budding newcomer, never to leave those who were his friends BEFORE he came into the industry, cos they are the ONLY ONES who will be there forever, especially when he is nothing, thus commenting on the fickle and matlabi nature of relationships in BW.

Like Naseeruddin Shah, I too felt that the movie really did a good job of portraying BW as it is for the layman who just watches movies but is not really clued in on the latest gossip. The performances in the film were good too, Konkana and Farhan were superb and Anurag Kashyap was good in the comic bits. I loved the way the opening credits rolled out too, as if acknowledging all the people behind the screens who never get credited properly for the hard work they put in the film.👏

What are your thoughts on the movie? Did you feel it represented BW accurately? Which other films do you think have done a good job presenting BW as it is?
Edited by nikitagmc - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sub_rosa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Whether it was the best one or not is arguable. But it does make a lot of sense. The story is wittily narrated, the characters life-like and relatable. To get all that in a single BW production is rare enough.

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
I love love this film. So many things about it. It really is the best film on "Bollywood" that I've seen so far for sure...refreshingly anti-Madhur type cinema. 😆

I thought the acting was pretty good--Farhan, Konkona, Isha as the wide-eyed doll, Dimple Kapadia, Rishi Kapoor, Juhi Chawla (those 2 were so funny) 😆

I also liked the many star cameos in the film...especially that they weren't in there awein mein..they did add something to the script, with the most important one being SRK's I think...or maybe I'm just biased. 😆

The best part of the film is no doubt how subtle it is about everything...yeah there's the casting couch, yeah connections matter a lot, yeah rumors fly everywhere, hookups happen, and the industry is very fickle...all this Farhan learns through the film. Zoya did show quite well how important LUCK is in the industry too. You gotta have a mix of everything to make it.. I liked that Farhan had "grey shades" ...that he wasn't perfect & he did get taken in by fame & forgot his roots...no one is perfect & its extremely hard to not go down that path. I'm glad Zoya didn't make it easy for him at the end with Koko taking Farhan back either..so refreshing!
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
THE ABSOLUTE BEST!
So nuanced and subtle, and most importantly, a BALANCED view of the profession.
Its not projecting just one image of the industry, like Heroine did. Madhur's obsessed with projecting the downsides and stereotypes of all the industries. 

LBC showcased celebrities more like human beings rather than sex/fame crazed maniacs.
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: nikitagmc

The two best bits of the movie for me were- 1.) When KJo (who rightly called himself the brand embassador of nepotism recently), casually remarks to another about how outsiders get a break in the industry only when there emerge roles which no one is willing to take up- that they make a career of out rejects of other stars, giving the example of SRK. 2.) When SRK (who is known to be grounded till date) advises the lead protagonist Vikram, a budding newcomer, never to leave those who were his friends BEFORE he came into the industry, cos they are the ONLY ONES who will be there forever, especially when he is nothing, thus commenting on the fickle and matlabi nature of relationships in BW.

These two bits are so true. For point no 1 we saw the same in SRK's case when he did Salman's and Aamir's rejects in Darr and Bazigar and they gave birth to a star who surpassed them. 😉
Even recently we saw Ayushman doing Shahid's reject in VD and Sushant, Amit and Rajkumar doing Ranbir's reject in KPC.
Point no 2 I think holds true for SRK. He apparently still remains in touch with his school and college friends from Delhi.

PS: I havent seen Luck By Chance.😳

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Actually if you think about it...Zoya had all the star cameos be very true to the actors playing them. Aamir is hero not quite happy with the shot he gave, Karan is the flamboyant one like you said, SRK is the one who says don't forget your friends who were there for you before you became a star...

Sanjay kapoor played the failed actor who's the brother of a big producer..
Unconventional thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Indeed one of d best movie...it was such a refreshing movie wid perfect acting by Farhaan and Koko...even d supporting cast was brilliant...sp...Rishiand Dimple...👏

I luv it wen Koko rejects Farhaan in d end...sp wen he had become a superstar...dat was d best part of d movie...👍🏼
crazy4fawad thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
its  one of my fave movies..n potrayed BW in a true manner..minus the typicalness of a madhur bhandarkar movie...

n the characters were very true to ,life n very much relatable...farhan was also v real...n it was potrayed brilliantly..

i lovvveee the opening credits song of the movie...it shows the real face of BW soo soo well...

zoya sure knws her art!! 😊😊
nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Mrsimisam

I luv it wen Koko rejects Farhaan in d end...sp wen he had become a superstar...dat was d best part of d movie...👍🏼

I liked the ending too.. the way Konkana rejects Farhan..😆.. accepts her destiny and turns to good old television! That was also a nice touch- many people who fail on big screen gain a second shot of fame through TV.
sweetysuju thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I heard the arrogant sajid khan predicted  that LBC movie will fail at box office ...
wonder about his prediction about himmatwala ...lol ...