Knowing Where We Are Going

Posted: 11 years ago

A slightly philosophical look at SurYa.

The greatest thing for a human, imo, is, to know their purpose. To have an identity. To be secure in that knowledge. To have a goal, a joy set before us. (I'll add here that for me, all of the above is given me by my faith in God). Some of us are blessed at an early stage in our journey and know our mission in life. Others may take a bit longer to mature and find their calling. Still others are denied the freedom and opportunities to discover this truth, but all of us, all of us have a calling on our lives.But here I'm trying to deal with SurYa...and is that even possible, when I sometimes struggle to know them as individuals?  Do I look at them individually or as a couple. Are they one or two? They insist they are two in one - Diya Aur Baati Hum. 

Am I right in assuming that this means one has the vision and the goal, the other is the enabler? Does this look noble? Does it look pretty? I suspect, it didn't to the CVs last year. So they flipped it and made the Baati become a Diya. Sandy decided to find a goal for Suraj and insisted on being his enabler,encourager,friend,philosopher and guide. And so we had the WTC competition. But frankly, I found it hard to swallow. Suraj did too. Why? Because nothing had fundamentally changed. It was Sandy being switched on by the idea of a competition and pushing Suraj almost all the way till he won it. Who got the most satisfaction from that? Who was fulfilled? Hard to say. I doubt either Diya or Baati really got much out of that other than a temporary buzz. Diya didn't need that to know that he is happiest when he's being himself. Baati didn't need Diya to win that trophy to know that she can inspire people to be the best they can be. Maybe the  lesson here is, find out what the person really wants, before trying to inspire them. (lol)

There is such a thing as wisdom. It comes with experience, it comes with maturity. There is a thing called love. That also comes with time. I'm not talking about the instant variety. Sandy is very young. Suraj is young. But he has the benefit of longer years of struggle. He has learned things that are difficult for him to communicate in words. This doesn't mean Sandy has not learned. She had a very protracted and painful introduction to adult life. She will not forget those scars in a hurry, although she has forgiven. Those are scars she can wear with dignity. Indeed it is that dignity that makes Bhabo both love and hate her. Some new woman was forged in those fires. ( I am not condoning such ill treatment of a human at all, but in this story, Sandy has triumphed). She had the option of leaving, was told to leave, left, but came back. She came back for her Diya. When she returned, Bhabo was more grateful than she will ever admit.  Suraj fell in love with Sandy more completely. Pretty much a gone case! 

But there's a fire. A vision in the far distance. The things that fuel Sandy. It's what this story is supposed to be about. Her career. So Suraj has made that a non-negotiable thing. She wanted to drop it but he is willing to sacrifice for it. IPS will definitely mean he will have to live without her for long periods. But he will be happy knowing he had a big part to play in making her stay the course. He will be fulfilled. Will Sandy be fulfilled? Or will she suddenly discover another path? 

There is nothing wrong with love triumphing over career. If we choose to give up something, if we are prepared to let it die, if we don't want to be torn between choices, then choose to give it up. It is a risk. But love is all about risk. Risk of rejection, risk of misunderstanding, risk of resentment, risk of guilt, risk of fear from the person we choose to love. Love is unconditional or it isn't love. Somehow, I think Sandy is also capable of this love. Am I in romance overdrive? Hope not. Because this is also a marriage. It's not a walk in the park. It's a commitment. It's more than mushy feelings. It's a life-long bond. Will Sandy want this more than that? 

Maybe dabh will show this tussle for a while. I cannot say what I'll prefer to see. I'm equally torn. 

Oh my God, didn't see this thread. Wrote mine last night and posted it today. Well well great minds think alike, I suppose. Maybe subah subah let us give each other a pat on the back. Now on a serious note from my perspective, marriage to me is living with your partner. I some how am no fan of long distance relationships. Of course each to his own. In the story there is no way they can show Sandhya staying with Suraj after she passes the IPS. She will be posted every 3 to 5 yrs to different districts and sometimes remote ones. It will be economically unviable for him to establish a business in all those corners. I doubt from the society where he comes from the idea of house husband will be acceptable. Weekend trips are difficult as Rajasthan is a big state and she need not be posted near Pushkar. Sandhya now has to decide whether the pursuit of her dreams is more important or being with Suraj and having a normal family life with children coming in subsequently more important. Whether an alternative career of being an MLA or MP will satisfy her zeal for social work. Suraj has made a decision to let her go or maybe he is unaware of the separation aspect and his love for his wife colours his judgement...
A bit of information i would like to add here about IPS course
If you are interested in reading the whole part then click the link below.

http://targetstudy.com/professions/ips-officer.html

According to the above Surya have lots of time to achieve their goal.
As far as the separation is concerned it can be avoided if sandy tops her state in IPS exams.

"Being all India Services,IPS officers are posted to various state cadre under cadre system. The cadre system is allotted on the basis of lottery and the top rank holder of each state may get a chance to get their home state if he had applied for one."

According to the above link they say that the prelim, final exams & interview will take abt 1 year & training part will take one yr. So it will be 2 yrs altogether to become an IPS.

And another thing is IPS officers' job description is wide. It includes VIP security, border policing, tackling corruption, railway police, counter terrorism, checking  smuggling, drug trafficking, cyber crime, disaster mgmt, they can also be the leading officers of inetelligence agencies like RAW, or BSF , etc.

So I guess this serial has taken a very good challenge on their shoulder.

After reading the above link i'm confident that Surya can manage both the normal relationship & career quite comfortably. Even if there is transfers no probs. There are many in the country who manage their transfers.

If sandy tops the state she will get a chance to serve her state. This is surely on the cards.

On searching in google i saw many ips woman officers from their state serving their own state.

SO SANDY PURSUING HER CAREER  & A NORMAL RELATIONSHIP WITH SURAJ IS NOT A BIG DEAL. QUITE ACHIEVABLE. THE THING REQUIRED IS MENTAL STABILITY, MORAL SUPPORT & A CLEAR VISION.😉

Another point was raised abt children suffering without one parent?
The answer is very simple. Surya live in a joint family. The children can be very well be taken care of by the family members all the time. It is very unrealistic that police officers don get time to spend with their children. There are so many police officers in India leading a happy & well balanced family.

Where there is a will there is a way. I have a strong belief in this.😛

posted this in umdu ji thread also.
Edited by shbhn3 - 11 years ago
Uma,  I 'll zero in on your last sentence : Suraj has made a decision to let her go or maybe he is unaware of the separation aspect and his love for his wife colours his judgement...

I like this idea that Suraj has made a decision. I also like that you have posited his love for his wife colouring his judgement. Both are equally wonderful propositions from the grand story telling perspective. It opens up big possibilities in exploring their relationship rather than avoiding it and making Sandy seem like a pre-programmed robot who has 'IPS' hard wired into her.

Shobhana ji,  I don't think I can agree with the idea that everything will be fine, no probs. In a show, yes. But even in a show, they've made Sandy go through horrendous tortures. So no. In real life?  Career and normal relationship is not a big deal? 
Edited by PadBear - 11 years ago
Originally posted by PadBear

Shobhana ji,  I don't think I can agree with the idea that everything will be fine, no probs. In a show, yes. But even in a show, they've made Sandy go through horrendous tortures. So no. In real life?  Career and normal relationship is not a big deal? 

Anusha aunty u can call me shobhana. No ji required.

It will be biased to say that persons pursuing a career doesn't have normal relationship. There are so many persons (women) whom i have met personally having a career on their own & leading a normal relationship. There are few IPS officers too (can search it in google).
And one more point. People not having a career that doesn't mean that all is well in their relationship. Each relationship has its own probs.

So acc to me pursuing one's own career is quite achievable with the support of the family & friends.

And yes there is a price for everything in the world not only for pursuing career.

I hope u understand my views.😊
Shobhanaji ( i like honouring young ones ðŸ˜† ) all relationships have problems. It requires work and lots of it just to stay together. I suggest that CVs show SurYa having realistics problems and even a huge row. It can even be Sandy's next major challenge. 
''He will be fulfilled. Will Sandy be fulfilled? Or will she suddenly discover another path? ''

I think this will be the time when Sandy will be a complete gone case!
Deewani ho jayegi! She is in love with Sooraj but only then she will realize how madly she is in love, then she will realize what Sooraj has done/sacrificed for her.
Kahin Sandy training se bhagke na chali aye!😆

Lovely post Paddy!

Interesting post Anusha ji!

I like the idea of 'love triumphing over career'. Wouldn't that be some ending?! The whole time we're thinking (well .. at least I am) that this isn't really a love story in the traditional sense .. but with an ending like that, it wouldn't be anything but a love story!

I just can't picture the CVs doing this though. I mean abandoning the obvious outcome of Sandhya being IPS is way too risky. Not to mention the CVs would have to give up on their ultimate social message of a wife successfully pursuing her dream (with her husband's support).

Technically speaking .. Sandhya did decide at one point to give up her dream; but I think that was more due to her love for Bhabho than for Suraj ðŸ¤”
Anushaji nice post.

I too like the concept 'love triumphing over career' ...have you seen the movie 'Mugavari' ? The hero will sacrifice his dream for his family...I loved the movie; it showed a very realistic approach to life.

BUT I dont think it should be applied in DABH...as I mentioned in UMDUji's thread, marriage/love shouldnt be shown as a hindrance to achieve your ambition/dream.

One more thing... DABH CVs are very smart...right now IPS dream is not shown as Sandhya's dream, but more of Suraj's dream...from college registration, night college admission, fees, getting books, pen, pencil holder, beg, table, chair, table lamp to providing transport... everything is provided by Suraj only, he is taking the dream more seriously than Sandhya...so if Sandhya does not achieve her dream, it is Suraj who fails, not Sandhya 

shobi, thanks for the info...loved your reply
Paddy you never call me ji.. 😒