India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Letter to Manoj Kumar from comedian Rohan Joshi

gilmores IF-Stunnerz
gilmores
gilmores

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged

http://epaper2.mid-day.com/showtext.aspx?boxid=22333455&parentid=196533&issuedate=06042013&edd123=mumbai

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Manoj Kumar

Kumar ( And Bollywood, as a whole)

I hope this column finds you in good health. If it doesn't, I would be happy to send you ( for NO FEES) a cassette player with fresh batteries and a recording of " Kadam Kadam Badhaaye Ja" because as you taught me in Clerk , that song cures everything, including heart trouble, terrible acting, and the need for logic.

In your career you earned several awards, and the nickname Manoj " Bharat" Kumar. This was due to films like Shaheed , Kranti , and Upkaar , all of which were steeped in such blind patriotism that they make Sunny Deol look like an ISI agent. For the sake of keeping things civil, we'll ignore the fact that you then joined the Shiv Sena.

Besides, I'm more interested in a legal matter that you were involved in this week. You've sued the makers of Om Shaanti Om for a scene which, according to you, makes fun of you. I must confess that my first instinct when I read about this was to facepalm ( or as you call it, " Patriotic Gangnam Style"). In case I infringed any copyrights while doing so, please tell me where I can mail you a cheque for the required amount.

You've sued the makers of this film before, and now you're suing them again, because the film released in Japan with that particular scene unchanged. I feel your pain. I also feel the pain of the millions of fans you have in Japan, who must have been shattered to see their idol so cruelly mimicked. In fact, I asked one of your Japanese fans what he thought of the entire issue, and he said "????????????????????" which translates to " Did you know Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot is now available on DVD?" My first question is, what is your grievance exactly? Is it that they made fun of you? And my second question is, so what if they did? I've seen the scene in question, and it plays on one of the oldest comedic tropes of all time; parodying an iconic gesture in a context that acts as comedic homage.

If anything, that scene was a compliment.

It doesn't portray you in a negative light. In fact one could argue that you're more likely to be seen in a negative light if you, as a grown man, act like a hyper- sensitive little girl about a perceived slur to your reputation.

Besides, if you really want to hit Shah Rukh Khan where it hurts, do a movie with Salman Khan where you stand with your arms outstretched the whole time. ( OR become brand ambassador of the Mumbai Cricket Association.) What really bugs me is the fact that you ( and most of Bollywood's " senior" citizens) walk around like the world owes you some form of respect that borders on fealty. This is real life, not an episode of Game of Thrones . You demand respect like a petulant child demands ice- cream, and you respond to perceived slights with frivolous cases like this, the equivalent of lying on the floor and kicking about.

Is nobody else sick of award- show photographs of young actors and actresses touching the feet of older Bollywood people? I have nothing against the touching of feet as a gesture of respect, but in that context, it always looks more like a gesture of obligation than respect. Why does Rekha still get front- row tickets to every award show? Does she even leave the venue, or stay in her chair at the end until they build everything around her the next year? If Steven Spielberg asked Ryan Gosling to touch his feet, George Lucas would probably roundhouse- kick him in the face with a leg made of lightsabers to shame him.

My point is Mr Kumar, it's an industry. Treat it like one. Am I suggesting that respect is a bad thing? Not at all. But if you want it, Mr Kumar ( and everybody else), don't demand it, command it. The sooner we stop treating it like some sort of feudal patriarchy, the better.

Regards Rohan PS: Please check out Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot on DVD, that show is even better than Clerk . Rohan Joshi is a writer and stand- up comedian who likes reading, films and people who do not use the SMS lingo.

You can also contact him on www. facebook. com/ therohanjoshi PLOTTING REVENGE: If Manoj Kumar really wants to hit SRK where it hurts, then he should do a movie with Salman Khan where he stands with his arms outstretched the whole time rohan joshi

Edited by chocolover89 - 05 April 2013 at 11:42pm

The following 25 member(s) liked the above post:

-Castiel-crazy4fawadKkkkkingKhanDeepShadowveil_of_rosessweet_angel27pria4everJaynebyriteshNoThanksYankeesPiyuu_SRKgrounderKal ElPeraltaGarrantynikitagmcAngelic_JChippeshwinibamboglisaltamango-frosttogepe30.Mishh007.MR.KooL-Swetha-

Chippeshwini IF-Sizzlerz
Chippeshwini
Chippeshwini

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged
OHH this is mojorojo on twitter! LOVE his tweets and blog!
Gotta read this
Piyuu_SRK IF-Rockerz
Piyuu_SRK
Piyuu_SRK

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 11:49pm | IP Logged
I just died laughing ROFL

Get well soon MK LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

byritesh

d-_-b IF-Sizzlerz
d-_-b
d-_-b

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged
George Lucas would probably roundhouse- kick him in the face with a leg made of lightsabers to shame him.

I like Mojorojo more now. :)

But he tweets a lot and I get irritated. I keep following him and un-following him.LOL

Edited by .DejaVu - 06 April 2013 at 12:13am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

KkkkkingKhanbambogli

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged
This man is an idiot...Shahrukh and Farah have done absolutely the wrong thing...and only apologizing doesn't cut it...Those scenes have to be removed from the movie...How difficult is it for SRK and Farah to understand,...

Why is everyone thinking that MK is hurt over mimicking...its not about mimicking...Its about being shown beaten by two guards with lathis and then being thrown out...

SRK and Farah...agar himmat hai...toh do the same thing to Dilip Kumar and then we will see...how everyone reacts and kicks both of ur behinds...stupid idiots...Thumbs Down

The following 20 member(s) liked the above post:

niasharma11-Castiel-jjairamdon12pari_roxxAweeeecutecs-07ILoveDrama-iktaara-veil_of_rosesMommytobeHakuna-MatataabamboglidesicrowdMinzPieKai.ani_grfire_gunTheRager-Swetha-

sweet_angel27 IF-Dazzler
sweet_angel27
sweet_angel27

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged
Lol I thought manoj kumar war overreacting as well. Infact I didn't even know who manoj kumar was before OSO.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

togepe30

Kal El IF-Rockerz
Kal El
Kal El

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged
Dilip Kumar, Dev Anand have all been mocked many times in movies and tv shows (particularly the former's "ae bhaaai" and the latter's tedha medha posture and manner of speaking). Why should Manoj be exempt?

Loved the "letter" btw. Thumbs Up

Edited by Kal El - 06 April 2013 at 12:17am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

-Castiel-cs-07YankeeskhoslakadhoklaChameli_billiChippeshwinitogepe30-Swetha-

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kal El

Dilip Kumar, Dev Anand have all been mocked many times in movies and tv shows (particularly the former's "ae bhaaai" and the latter's tedha medha posture and manner of speaking). Why should Manoj be exempt?

Loved the "letter" btw. Thumbs Up

Being mocked is different from being insulted...there is a thin line seperating the two...Have you ever seen a character playing Dilip Kumar being beaten and thrown out...I guess not...on the other hand...MK has been mocked and mimicked a million times before in different movies...Ever heard of him suing the producer...I guess not...There is a reason why he is upset about this one...

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

niasharma11don12Mommytobekareena05-iktaara-drummedupcs-07ILoveDramaHakuna-Matataabamboglidesicrowd

Go to top