Sid and other stars new players in ad world

Posted: 11 years ago

Hot off the shelf

Gen-next Bollywood actors are the hottest new players in ad world; we take a look at who's in demand and why

Out with the old and in with the new. The saying could well have been coined keeping modern advertisements in mind, where you need something fresh every two months to get audiences interested. And with commercials ever-so-reliant on Bollywood to sell everything from hair oil to cola to cars and watches, the new crop of actors is also the ad world's most-wanted.

And while the Khans and a veteran Amitabh Bachchan still reign, gen-next actors are in demand because they make for fresh faces and attract the youth.

Shahid Kapur and Priyanka Chopra have now been replaced by Imran Khan and Anushka Sharma in the Bru coffee ad. Sources state the obvious — the brand wanted a younger, hip pair and roped in two actors who had just done a film together (Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola).

Likewise, the three young actors who shot to fame with Student Of The Year (2012) — Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and Sidharth Malhotra — are being offered endorsement deals together and individually. Varun, who has just signed three new deals, says, "I've been little choosy about the ads. I want to connect with people of my age, who are also my audience, and these ads are helping me do that."

Ad-film-maker Prahlad Kakkar says, "Imran and Sonakshi Sinha are the young actors in demand, while Parineeti (Chopra), Ayushmann (Khurrana), Varun, Alia and Sidharth are the newbies creating buzz. They are affordable, exciting and have a hit under their belts. Everyone hopes their second films will be bigger; but if that doesn't happen, they will be forgotten." We got Prahlad and trade analyst Komal Mahta to analyse the appeal of the newcomers.

The new entrants

Parineeti Chopra

BRANDS: Kurkure, Nivea, Maaza, Spinz and a leading two-wheeler brand deal to be announced

RATE:

R70- 90 lakh per ad

USP: "She's spunky, young and a lot of teenagers identify with her," says Prahlad. "She's very natural and lively, says Komal.

Varun Dhawan

BRANDS: Idee eyewear, Coca-Cola, Nestle, an upcoming Japanese hair gel and a mobile application ad with Parineeti Chopra

RATE: R50- 65 lakh per ad

USP: "He's good-looking and that's his biggest asset," says Prahlad. "His good looks, chiselled body and his ability to dance," says Komal.

Sidharth Malhotra

BRANDS: Idee, Coke, Kwality Walls

RATE: R50- 65 lakh per ad

USP: "He has the right mix of cuteness and handsomeness, which appeals to the youth," says Komal.

Ayushmann Khurrana

BRANDS: Colgate Plax (contract just over; no new ads)

RATE: R50- 70 lakh per ad

Young and already hot

Sonakshi Sinha

BRANDS: Dyna, Colgate Active Salt, Red Label, Fem RATE: R1- 1.5 cr per ad BRANDS: Maaza, Bru coffee RATE: 3 cr per ad

RATE: R1- 1.5 cr per ad

Deepika Padukone

BRANDS: Garnier, Fiama Di Willis, Tissot, Yamaha scooters, Orbit chewing gum, Nescafe, Luxor pens, Parachute oil

RATE: R2.5- 3 cr per ad

Anushka Sharma

BRANDS: Parachute hair oil, Kara skin wipes, Joy face wash, Reliance CommMobile, Nivea body creams/lotions, Nivea deodorants, Geetanjali Jewellery, Canon cameras, TVS scooters, Sofy sanitary napkins, Elle 18 cosmetics, Bru coffee Rate:

RATE: R2- 3 cr per ad

Ranbir Kapoor

BRANDS: Lenovo computers, PepsiCo, John Players, Hero MotoCorp, Nissan Motors, Panasonic India, BlackBerry

RATE: R4- 5 cr per ad

Who's got no ads?
Surprisingly, Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor are the two new actors who haven't been endorsing brands in commercials despite the fact that they have hits to their credit.

Source: Hindustan Times
Ayushman is endorsing Brylcream too if I'm not wrong.

Mad about ads

Varun Dhawan is on a roll. He has signed five commercials including the 'big' one — a cola ad. His other endorsements include international food brand, a mobile application and a Japanese hair gel brand, which was directed by Anurag Basu. The expensive hi-tech ad of the hair gel brand wil have Varun sport five diferent looks and will be launched in June. Varun who addresses the Barfi! director as Dada was overheard telling friends that "He is a magician."

Source: DNA
Deepika Padukone

BRANDS: Garnier, Fiama Di Willis, Tissot, Yamaha scooters, Orbit chewing gum, Nescafe, Luxor pens, Parachute oil

RATE: R2.5- 3 cr per ad

Weren't there articles saying she's the highest paid... she charged 5 crore per year for some brand. 🤔

Edited by bambogli - 11 years ago
^^^Highest paid is Katrina I think who got 7cr for a paint commercial.
I don't get it. If a big brand is paying me 5 crores, why would I charge 2.5 - 3 crore after that deal?
Originally posted by bambogli

I don't get it. If a big brand is paying me 5 crores, why would I charge 2.5 - 3 crore after that deal?

Because other brands may not be that stupid or desperate. 😆You can either hike your price and sit at home(Yami, Diana) or you can go with a reasonable price and be seen more(Parineeti).
varun - pari ... BRING IT ON
Originally posted by MrsMalhotra

Because other brands may not be that stupid or desperate. 😆You can either hike your price and sit at home(Yami, Diana) or you can go with a reasonable price and be seen more(Parineeti).

BTW, I still didn't see her TVC with the desperate brand Parachute after  "The 5 crore deal". It's Nargis who is doing all the current Parachute TVCs. & I must admit, she looks livelier than DeePad in those ads.  

Originally posted by bambogli

BTW, I still didn't see her TVC with the desperate brand Parachute after  "The 5 crore deal". It's Nargis who is doing all the current Parachute TVCs. & I must admit, she looks livelier than DeePad in those ads.  

Thats strange...I dont see Nargis at all. Its been ages. I see DP only. But she looks more gorgeous in Pantene ads.