India-Forums

Qubool Hai
Qubool Hai

Difference between Indian and American Serials

Asyaalways Senior Member
Asyaalways
Asyaalways

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged
In the US, the actors write up a contract, which I am sure they do in India.  But why do a lot of lead actors/actresses are allowed to leave their shows midway.  They should have atleast a couple of years contract, the fans are the ones who suffer.  Not to compare but the original Manav from Pavitra Ristha or Lovely from Mrs. Kaushik just up and went to Bollywood.  KSG is a very talented, good looking, great actor, so with great success, great offers are bound to come his way.  I do want him to succeed but not on the account of ever leaving Qubool Hai. 
I was reading KSG's interview and how he mentioned that if he gets a good offer from Bollywood, he would leave Qubool Hai and Serials. He wants to advance his career, he didn't think he would return to Serials but did when Bollywood did not work out last time.

Please let me know if I am assuming anything on the part of Indian contracts.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

nesrinazaraakasyakiideewaniPizzaologistWhenInRomefamzii05

Pizzaologist IF-Dazzler
Pizzaologist
Pizzaologist

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged
Naaa i dont want him leaving!! AsYa wont have the spark if he leaves!!
QH Will lose its audience if he leaves im sure of it..
latanzia IF-Dazzler
latanzia
latanzia

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged
But the thing is most american actors do both serial and movies, the reason for this is that the shows are not focus on them they way indian serials are. take for example michelle stafford from the Y&R she was doing a movie, while fliming for Y&R n the same thing with krystal character lilly she went off and had a baby n you never knew, the reason for this is that they have a large number of episode in their episode bank. I think she said almost three month worth of episode. You don't find this in indian soaps that is why if the lead want to do something else they alway have to replace them.

Just me two cents.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Asyaalways

Asyaalways Senior Member
Asyaalways
Asyaalways

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged
Yup, I remember that about Y & R, another one of my favorite shows.  That is so true...here in the US, the actors are able to do multiple things at once.   In India, the lead actors are the main storyline but on that note they should be more responsible to complete their obligations too.  Once a serial is done, I think its a fair game to pursue.   
zaraak Senior Member
zaraak
zaraak

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged
I'm curious about that too, why is it so easy for Indian actors to get out of their contracts and leave their shows Confused 
DreA IF-Stunnerz
DreA
DreA

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged
Some were saying that interview may be a fake one. Cause there was no source of where it came from other than FB. Sooo not too sure if we can take that answer or any of the others seriously. 
butterfly15.. Goldie
butterfly15..
butterfly15..

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged
Sushant (Manav) left because there was going to be a leap in the show and he didn't want that. American serials are more stable. In India if a shows trp goes down then the show is usually ended abruptly, so why would anyone want to sign such a contract that binds them to a show?
Also sometimes the shows become less interesting and the characters the actors play lose their original characterisation and some actors do not want to play a role that is different to what they were told they would be playing.

Edited by butterfly15.. - 05 April 2013 at 6:36pm
Mrinmoyee Senior Member
Mrinmoyee
Mrinmoyee

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged
The reason behind that is American writers write their story, decide the number of episodes for each season, and make a shooting schedule first, and the actors have to shoot at some fixed time of the year accordingly. In India, on the hand, writers come up with a basic story and they keep expanding the storyline till however long they can.
In US actors don't have any reason to leave the show, because they get so much flexibility on their schedule. Even after shooting their limited number of epis, they have the rest of the year to enjoy/relax/go on a vacation, plus work on other projects simultaneously to keep them growing as actors/satisfy their creative needs. 
In India however, actors have to shoot 10-12 hours a day for 5 days a week and this same monotonous schedule goes on as long as the show keeps running (which can be 3/4/5 years, and sometimes even longer Shocked).
Now imagine living with that work schedule for that amount of time continuously for at least 3 years! Forget exploring/experimenting with other kind of roles, these people don't even get to spend their holidays with their family as the shows can rarely afford to give them long breaks! No matter how much you enjoy what you're doing, anyone would get tired of it after a certain amount of time. 

Also, a channel/production house makes contracts for actors for a certain amount of time (usually a year or so). After that time period is over, they have to renew the contracts if the show is still running. So the actors can decide not to renew their contracts then, and therefore leave the show. There's no way the makers can make a contract for them to stay in the show as long as it runs, because they don't know themselves how long it will actually go on!

Personally I don't support TV actors leaving TV industry for Bollywood either, but I guess it's understandable that they would want that for the amount of flexibility with shooting schedules (plus a lot good amount of money compared to TV Stern Smile). 

And as far as KSG goes, there was a time when he actually considered leaving daily soaps for good. He used to say he wouldn't do TV unless it's a reality show or something. But after his Bollywood venture and wedding etc., he made a come back and he said now he doesn't even want his movie to be released. And in the interview you're talking about, he said, "I want to buy a yacht and sail and do just one film a year," and "If I am sailing, I can't do a daily soap. It will be very difficult for me to reach to the set in that case" LOL
It was a joke, and he doesn't have the money to buy a yacht and pay its docking fees anyways (which he said in his bday int. Tongue).
So relax and keep watching QH...he's not going anywhere Big smile

Edited by Mrinmoyee - 05 April 2013 at 9:27pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

tashu20Niharika17-Yaz-countingstarz

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top