raj-avin thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Was thinking the chances of Koku being masterchef.She is an amazing cook ,no doubt. 
and  I know its too early but does anyone think her not being literate could be a hindrance. I mean not reading the names of the ingredients could mess up the dish and if like earlier seasons ,she is provided with recipes to cook difficult dishes, she shd read that too. I wish she had learnt the basics so that it would have been easier for her. ðŸ˜›

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lotus8 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Is master chef required only to know the Indian cooking/ingredients or should have exposure to the knowledge and taste of international food??
I have seen many good well educated in culinary science, Indian cooks, participate in American programmes like Chopped, Food net work star/ Iron chef and not coming up to the international standards, though they have good knowledge of Indian herbs and spices. So I really don't know how Yasmeen and Khoku would be able to take that challenge and don't understand their participation in this culinary experiment. It is not about being poor and needy and a good cook, it is about the food science- knowing that carbs  are sugars and any highly caloric and rich in fat/ carb dish is full of sugar even though it might not have the real granulated/powdered white or brown sugar.
 My personal views only so please who like Khoku and Yasmeen for other reasons,please don't bash. 
_QueenBee_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

so far, judges have liked koku's dishes and she is a good cook who has made many good dishes so far!!!
but yes, it will be interesting to see how she fares in different tasks and how she survives !!!
like today, they had a recipe provided, koku was lucky she wasn't there !!!
and also she might not have much idea of international cuisine !!! bt i guess this year MC theme is desi food ... so let's see ... she needs luck along with talent !!!

Edited by Queen22 - 11 years ago
sparkling_gems thumbnail
If judges have selected for final 11 even after knowing that she is illiterate then surely they have thought the solution of it, if problem arises coz of her illiteracy. May be judges would have explained the recipe to her verbally in brief...or it is also possible hat she knows her regional language not Hindi or English and judges provides recipe to her in her language...I would not like if she lost because of her illiferacy.
raj-avin thumbnail

Originally posted by: lotus8

Is master chef required only to know the Indian cooking/ingredients or should have exposure to the knowledge and taste of international food??
I have seen many good well educated in culinary science, Indian cooks, participate in American programmes like Chopped, Food net work star/ Iron chef and not coming up to the international standards, though they have good knowledge of Indian herbs and spices. So I really don't know how Yasmeen and Khoku would be able to take that challenge and don't understand their participation in this culinary experiment. It is not about being poor and needy and a good cook, it is about the food science- knowing that carbs  are sugars and any highly caloric and rich in fat/ carb dish is full of sugar even though it might not have the real granulated/powdered white or brown sugar.
 My personal views only so please who like Khoku and Yasmeen for other reasons,please don't bash. 

yes ,well said. I too like Khoku ,she has ideas ,very quick to think, and even in the no sugar task ,she made a beautiful cake. So she has good talent . i really wish she could simultaneously do a small course on basics that could really help her further.
raj-avin thumbnail

Originally posted by: Queen22

so far, judges have liked koku's dishes and she is a good cook who has made many good dishes so far!!!
but yes, it will be interesting to see how she fares in different tasks and how she survives !!!
like today, they had a recipe provided, koku was lucky she wasn't there !!!
and also she might not have much idea of international cuisine !!! bt i guess this year MC theme is desi food ... so let's see ... she needs luck along with talent !!!

Yes i too remembered Khoku was lucky the she dint have to do todays task as it was following the given recipe closely.
raj-avin thumbnail

Originally posted by: sparkling_gems

If judges have selected for final 11 even after knowing that she is illiterate then surely they have thought the solution of it, if problem arises coz of her illiteracy. May be judges would have explained the recipe to her verbally in brief...or it is also possible hat she knows her regional language not Hindi or English and judges provides recipe to her in her language...I would not like if she lost because of her illiferacy.

Agree , i too dont want her to lose because of illiteracy. The additional help might  be provided as the first time she had difficult in picking ingredient and had to be replaced with ishrat.  
-Alinaa- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I was also thinking about it when the contestants were doing elimination challenge.  I think they will provide her someone to read the recipe. It would still be fair.

About her cooking skills, I think her skills are not limited to Indian cuisine, and she is very spontaneous.