Formula for TRP success - Saraswatichandra

Arshics thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
What makes a soap get high TRP

1.  Large families composed of the following

-  one angry old man / old woman - check

-  one loving father of the heroine/ mother of the hero - check

-  a couple of random comic characters, with no contribution other than comic relief - check

- an evil relative, preferably a stepmom - check

-  lots of emotional melodrama that makes no sense- check

-  spouting dialogues of sanskar, left right and centre - sanskars that every one throws around, but no one except the hero/ heroine are expected to follow - check

-  meaningless crisis situations, one after the other - - check

-  Good acting - again, only from the leads, the rest - each one has one stock expression and one catch phrase - - check

-  and of course the MOST IMPORTANT - logic ki vaat - - a big check

- I honestly expected better from an SLB show, this drivel is disappointing.

A good show is about overall appeal, about believable characters and situations

Just romance and lead chemistry is enough only for starters, it's the entire package that must be convincing

Njoy!!!

Edited by arshicritic - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shramya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
While I am enjoying Gautam and Jens scenes, the rest is so cliched and typical Hindi serial.

Guess we should not expect anything better
Arshics thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shramya

While I am enjoying Gautam and Jens scenes, the rest is so cliched and typical Hindi serial.

Guess we should not expect anything better

This is where I disagree dear, we have every right to expect and demand better, we are the viewers and we have to be vocal about what we like and dislike
enchanted. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
Even though there are some typical things involved in SC, I personally think it is much different to any other show on Indian TV. Most shows CLAIM to be different, but have the same feel - a bubbly female lead, or a seedhi/saadhi i-will-accept-anything kinda female lead. However on this show, both the leads are actually different! 

Kumud isn't a typical lead - she knows how to use everything she's got. She's intelligent, confident, practical, sensual and flirty - and she's aware of all of her traits too!
Saras is such a beautiful character, because he is such a pure hero! 

^Both of these things are refreshing.

Oh and I disagree with quite a few of your points:

1) Almost everybody on the show is a really good actor - be it VC, Dukhbaa, Chachi, Kumari or Kusum. 

2) WTH this show DOES NOT just focus on the leads! ..which is very clear from almost every single episode so far. 

3) There is emotional drama, obviously! SC the novel is a tragedy!

4) The drama may be illogical to you now, because the storylines are still being revealed!

5) Most storylines here have no logic ki vaat..compared to other shows, its pretty logical. 

6) In many families in India, especially rural India, and even Indian families outside of India, sanskaar is very important, and IS brought up if someone does something wrong. 
Edited by enchanted. - 11 years ago
I thought u r talking abt other indian soap..i really can't stand indian soap on sp.but i have started watching veera n saraswaichandra..n i m loving it..these shows r way way better than many shows which r on top these days..n of course more logical than many shows on indian tv
Arshics thumbnail

Originally posted by: praava

I thought u r talking abt other indian soap..i really can't stand indian soap on sp.but i have started watching veera n saraswaichandra..n i m loving it..these shows r way way better than many shows which r on top these days..n of course more logical than many shows on indian tv

I don't really watch any other soaps, can't stand them, I expected more from this one. 

But the situationa are not at all convincing, and the acting loud
.Anamika. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I can stand most things in a soap opera except when the male lead handles the female aggressively and then people find that "romantic". Abuse is abuse and there's nothing that makes it okay, even if it looks "intense" or if it's his way of expressing his feelings.

I like the way Saras is a strong but kind hearted man. Kumud can be too arrogant at times, I admit but I rather see a feisty girl than one that cries all day long.

Overall, it may not be the greatest show ever, but it's not all that bad considering what else is shown on Indian tv.

Arshics thumbnail

Originally posted by: enchanted.

Even though there are some typical things involved in SC, I personally think it is much different to any other show on Indian TV. Most shows CLAIM to be different, but have the same feel - a bubbly female lead, or a seedhi/saadhi i-will-accept-anything kinda female lead. However on this show, both the leads are actually different! 

Kumud isn't a typical lead - she knows how to use everything she's got. She's intelligent, confident, practical, sensual and flirty - and she's aware of all of her traits too!
Saras is such a beautiful character, because he is such a pure hero! 

^Both of these things are refreshing.

Oh and I disagree with quite a few of your points:

1) Almost everybody on the show is a really good actor - be it VC, Dukhbaa, Chachi, Kumari or Kusum. 

I am sure they are good actors, but acting is very loud, Dukba, kaki, Guman - very very exaggerated expressions

2) WTH this show DOES NOT just focus on the leads! ..which is very clear from almost every single episode so far. 

there I disagree, all the interactions are only to bring the leads together, there is no independent track,  story unravelling

3) There is emotional drama, obviously! SC the novel is a tragedy!

the emotional drama with intensity - good, screaming, screeching, making faces in the name of expressing - that is what I am objecting to dear

4) The drama may be illogical to you now, because the storylines are still being revealed!

I hope so, that's why I am still watching, but till then I must express my frustration with the treatment

5) Most storylines here have no logic ki vaat..compared to other shows, its pretty logical. 

don't watch any other shows, this is the show I watch, and I expected better, it stretches the credibility quite a bit - the whole gau hatya track 

6) In many families in India, especially rural India, and even Indian families outside of India, sanskaar is very important, and IS brought up if someone does something wrong. 

true, but in our soaps, it is a formula to heap emotional blackmail and atyachaar. A lot of illogical stuff gets explained in the name of sanskars, with no one really understanding what our sanskars really are

Edited by arshicritic - 11 years ago

Originally posted by: enchanted.

<font color="#000099">Even though there are some typical things involved in SC, I personally think it is much different to any other show on Indian TV. Most shows CLAIM to be different, but have the same feel - a bubbly female lead, or a seedhi/saadhi i-will-accept-anything kinda female lead. However on this show, both the leads are actually different!</font>

<font color="#000099">Kumud isn't a typical lead - she knows how to use everything she's got. She's intelligent, confident, practical, sensual and flirty - and she's aware of all of her traits too!</font>
<font color="#000099">Saras is such a beautiful character, because he is such a pure hero!</font>

<font color="#000099">^Both of these things are refreshing.</font>

<font color="#000099">Oh and I disagree with quite a few of your points:</font>

<font color="#000099">1) Almost everybody on the show is a really good actor - be it VC, Dukhbaa, Chachi, Kumari or Kusum.</font>

<font color="#000099">2) WTH this show DOES NOT just focus on the leads! ..which is very clear from almost every single episode so far.</font>

<font color="#000099">3) There is emotional drama, obviously! SC the novel is a tragedy!</font>

<font color="#000099">4) The drama may be illogical to you now, because the storylines are still being revealed!</font>

<font color="#000099">5) Most storylines here have no logic ki vaat..compared to other shows, its pretty logical.</font>

<font color="#000099">6) In many families in India, especially rural India, and even Indian families outside of India, sanskaar is very important, and IS brought up if someone does something wrong.</font>

excellent reply dear, u told wat i wanted 2 tel 2 d tm! 😃
Dis is called a reply!
i completely agree with my frend!
If u watch any oder serial and compare in wid sc, our is better!
many tyms, d whole epi goes widout leads, at least in sc, we get 10 mins of lead n 10 mins of oders
Only romance cnt keep going, oder element r important esp if its beneficial, wich v cnt understand nw!
Arshics thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tishana

excellent reply dear, u told wat i wanted 2 tel 2 d tm! 😃
Dis is called a reply!
i completely agree with my frend!
If u watch any oder serial and compare in wid sc, our is better!
many tyms, d whole epi goes widout leads, at least in sc, we get 10 mins of lead n 10 mins of oders
Only romance cnt keep going, oder element r important esp if its beneficial, wich v cnt understand nw!

I should not have to compare to see the good in this serial, it has to be convincing in its own stream, which right now it is not