Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

shubhika124

IF-Sizzlerz

shubhika124

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged

Hello Guys!

In my course , we have been given to study Iravati Karwe's 'Draupadi' in Yuganta the end of an epoch. After the beautiful contrasts & similarities between Sita & Draupadi , the writer has mentioned about the grave mistakes she'd committed. #1. Laughing at Duryodhana , #2 Revealing Kichaka's murder & #3 being , putting forward a question to Dharma after the dice game.

I tried to grasp the 3rd point but Im unable to understand how is this a serious mistake?

Secondly , what did her last words , uttered to Bheema mean?

Could anyone please help me ?

Thank you

Shubhika  

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

ritika06Vishakha_Sakhimanzilmukul..RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Studying Draupadi" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
Interesting thread, Shubhika! Clap

I will refer to my MB book, but I'm a bit confused about the 3rd point too. When did Draupadi question Dharma after the dice game, and what did she say to Bhima?

Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 28 March 2013 at 8:32pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Vishakha_Sakhishubhika124

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Laughing @ Duryodhan on the part of Draupadi is there in Shrimad Bhagvatam, but not in Mahabharat.  In the Mahabharat, it's BANS who laugh @ him.

Revealing Keechaka's murder was a definite mistake.  But the pace of events was forced by Keechak - had he been willing to get the time from Draupadi, she could have given him an appointment date when their year ended, and he'd either have found out about the Pandavas, or still gotten killed by Bhima.

The question to Dharma after the dice game was about what?  Maryada?  At any rate, I don't consider that one a mistake.  The mistake was that cretin Yudhisthir not allowing his brothers to retaliate then & there.  Balarama, in contrast, made short work of Rukmi under far less provocative circumstances.

Draupadi had last words?  What were they?

mnx12visromVishakha_Sakhishubhika124

-Gitanjali-

Coolbie

-Gitanjali-

Posted: 28 March 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
Nice and interesting thread

shubhika124

IF-Sizzlerz

shubhika124

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 12:57am | IP Logged

Thank you for responding!

I shall paste the extract here for the better understanding , I hope its allowed.

But what was Draupadi's biggest mistake?

When Dharma lost the dice game and Duryodhana sent a slave to bring her into the

assembly, she sent the slave back, saying, "Go into the assembly and ask if Dharma-raja

had become a slave before he staked me." Duryodhana replied, "Come into the assembly,

you will get your answer." When she refused to come, Duhshasana dragged her into the

hall. There she stood weeping, but with fury she asked the question again. With shouts

that talking was useless, the Kaurava men started pulling off Draupadi's sari. As each sari

was pulled off another appeared in its place. Meanwhile the discussion continued.

The question Draupadi asked rested on a difficult and complicated legal point. Even

Bhishma, who had often taken the part of the Pandavas in quarrels with Dhrita-rashtra

and Duryodhana, was unable to give an answer, perhaps for fear of compromising

Draupadi. What Draupadi was contending was that once Dharma had become a slave he

had lost his freedom and had no right to claim anything as his own; a slave has nothing he

can stake. Then how could Dharma stake her freedom? Although her argument seems

plausible from one point of view, even a slave has a wife, and the fact of his slavery does

not destroy his authority over her. Moreover, from the most ancient times a slave had the

right to accumulate certain property that was entirely his own. The question was thus a

tangled one, involving the rights of a master over a slave and a slave over his wife.

Draupadi's question was not only foolish; it was terrible No matter what answer was

given her position was desperate. If Bhishma told her that her husband's rights over her 

did not cease, that even though he became a slave, she was in his power and he had the

right to stake her, her slavery would have been confirmed. If Bhishma had argued that

because of his slavery her husband had no more rights over her, then her plight would

have been truly pitiable. Draupadi was described as

nathavati anathavat  

"with husbands, but like a widow", and if her relation with her husband was destroyed she

would have been truly widowed. From Rigvedic times there are references to abandoned

wives living wretchedly in the house of their father. But there is not a single case in

which a woman, of her own accord, had denied her husband. For such a woman, getting

even a lowly position in her father's house would have been impossible, to say nothing of 

an honorable one.

Draupadi's question had put all of them in a dilemma. Bhishma hung his head.

Dharma was ready to die of shame. Draupadi was standing there arguing about legal

technicalities like a lady pundit when what was happening to her was so hideous that she

should only have cried out for decency and pity in the name of the Kshatriya code. Had

she done so perhaps things would not have gone so far. Allowing their own daughter-in-

law to be dragged before a full assembly, dishonouring a bride of their own clan in the  

hall of the men, was so against all human, unwritten law that quibbling about legal

distinctions at that point was the height of pretension.

Draupadi's last words to Bheem after recalling her marital life in her last minutes. When she was denied heaven , Bhim asked Yudishatra for the reason & he said that Draupadi throughout her life loved Arjuna more than her other husbands. Draupadi felt guilty when she heard that.

But in what sense was it a sin? Wasn't he the one who had won her. 

Bringing Bhima's face close to hers, she said with her last

breath, "In our next birth be the eldest, Bhima; under your shelter we can all live in safety

and joy."

Lakhnawi_Begum.Vrish.Vishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister

Vibhishna

Goldie

Vibhishna

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged
Interesting topic...

I'll refer the material I have and get back.

I never heard of Draupadi's last words to Bheema so far. Will check up on that too.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.shubhika124Vishakha_Sakhi

visrom

IF-Veteran Member

visrom

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged

This is sort of true...he won her and in her eyes he was the hero. Any woman would have fallen for him. BUT...someone like Draupadi is supposed to behave in a perfect manner. She married 5 men and she was supposed to treat them all equally. But even when while she spent time with other husbands, she would have Arjun at the back of her mind. That was like being unfaithful and unfair to other husbands.

Edited by visrom - 29 March 2013 at 1:22am

shubhika124

IF-Sizzlerz

shubhika124

Posted: 29 March 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by visrom

This is sort of true...he won her and in her eyes he was the hero. Any woman would have fallen for him. BUT...someone like Draupadi is supposed to behave in a perfect manner. She married 5 men and she was supposed to treat them all equally. But even when while she spent time with other husbands, she would have Arjun at the back of her mind. That was like being unfaithful and unfair to other husbands.

Thank you so much for the reply !

So she was denied heaven on this aspect Unhappy

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RJ1234visromVishakha_Sakhi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top