UMDU thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I was surprised to see Maasa making garlic papads for her Bahu. I was even more surprised to hear Meena say Bhabo will make it for her had she been there. Marwaris are strict vegetarians and traditional Marwaris do not use onion and garlic in their cuisine. In fact it was explicitly stated in one of the episodes when Suraj refused to cook chicken in Singapore. Daisa  while watching the show says that Santosh does not allow onion and garlic into the house chicken to bahut door ki baat hain...How than is garlic being used in a Marwari household. Is it a blooper ? Have I missed something in the ensuing episodes😲... Got the episode. It is 7th August 2012 episode available on Utube watch it.Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jitadha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
you are kidding right?
vegetarians do not eat onion and garlic?

by any chance do you mean to refer jains who do not eat onion and garlic.
UMDU thumbnail
Originally posted by: jitadha

you are kidding right?
vegetarians do not eat onion and garlic?

by any chance do you mean to refer jains who do not eat onion and garlic.

No I am not kidding at all. I am quite serious. It has been shown in the same serial that the Rathis are no onion no garlic family. I mean that is not allowed into the house by Bhabo. The Rathis are Marwaris and Hindus. Traditional Marwaris do not take garlic even if they are Hindus.They make their sabzis using a lot of curd, tomatoes and butter to make it tasty. When Suraj refused to cook chicken in Singapore Daisa did come to their house and say  'When Santosh does not allow onion garlic how can she allow her son to cook chicken.Watch the episode you will know what I am talking about. Marwaris are originally from the Marwar region of Rajasthan. That is present day Jodhpur. They belong to the Vaisya community in the Hindu hierarchy. That is they are the business class. Many among them became Jains when they did not get status they deserved in the Hindu caste order. They were economically prosperous but were only third in the caste order. They had economic power but low social status.There were many who continued with Hinduism. Traditional Hindu and Jain Marwaris are pure vegetarians and do not take garlic in their cuisine. In fact you will be surprised to know meat products and alcohol are strictly banned in Pushkar as it is considered a holy town for Hinduism.Most of the town is inhabited by Hindus and there are very few from other religions here.
Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago
thala thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: UMDU

No I am not kidding at all. I am quite serious. It has been shown in the same serial that the Rathis are no onion no garlic family. I mean that is not allowed into the house by Bhabo. The Rathis are Marwaris and Hindus. Traditional Marwaris do not take onion and garlic even if they are Hindus.They make their sabzis using a lot of curd, tomatoes and butter to make it tasty. When Suraj refused to cook chicken in Singapore Daisa did come to their house and say  'When Santosh does not allow onion garlic how can she allow her son to cook chicken.Watch the episode you will know what I am talking about. Marwaris are originally from the Marwar region of Rajasthan. That is present day Jodhpur. They belong to the Vaisya community in the Hindu hierarchy. That is they are the business class. Many among them became Jains when they did not get status they deserved in the Hindu caste order. They were economically prosperous but were only third in the caste order. They had economic power but low social status.There were many who continued with Hinduism. Hindu and Jain Marwaris are pure vegetarians and do not take onion or garlic in their cuisine. In fact you will be surprised to know meat products and alcohol are strictly banned in Pushkar as it is considered a holy town for Hinduism.Most of the town is inhabited by Hindus and there are very few from other religions here.

thanks for the info umaji
..Anusha.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Umaji thank you for all this info. It really helps with knowing where the Rathis come from. Hope Emily is taking notes. It's going to be tough for her. I really cannot fathom how CVs are going to make MoMli work. 
UMDU thumbnail
@ ramasuresh    You are welcome.

@Anushaji    You are welcome Anushaji. If you ask me realistically it is impossible for this relationship to work unless they setup a nuclear family for MoMily in Ajmer. Since it is a serial they will go OTT and show Emily making super sacrifices like Sandhya to adjust. They may even show her give up non veg. From my point of view it is a ghate ka sauda for Emily from all sides. Giving up all the practices she has been brought up with for a person who does not even love her.
..Anusha.. thumbnail
Umaji, with respect, giving up non-veg is the least of her worries. It's nothing. But I hope she doesn't have to renounce her faith. That is the only thing that will be a step too far. Anyway, let the CVs jump in and see what they can do. 
..Anusha.. thumbnail
Just as part of dietary discussions...Christians do not have a requirement to eat any food or abstain from any food...except to abstain from blood... similar to halal food.  Edited by PadBear - 11 years ago
UMDU thumbnail
Anushaji the very fact they have introduced this track and made Emily go the village on Sandhya's prodding makes it crystal clear that they will not show Emily give up her religion. This track has been introduced to broaden the vision of the likes of Bhabo and Maasa towards interreligious marriages. That being the case they will show Emily sticking to her religion. The compromise for her will be more in the nature of food habits. Bhabo is hardly likely to start cooking non veg, non veg is not available in Pushkar, she can either give it up or have it when she goes to work in Ajmer.  Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago
UMDU thumbnail
Originally posted by: PadBear

Just as part of dietary discussions...Christians do not have a requirement to eat any food or abstain from any food...except to abstain from blood... similar to halal food.  

I know that Anushaji  but most Christian families do eat non veg and I think Emily will not be different.