Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

without-fathom thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: AreYaar

LOL I guess it depends on what you watch first...I watched You've Got Mail first so Sleepless in Seattle was like ok to me in response cuz I watched it later...I LOVE You've Got Mail...I love anything Tom Hanks waise toh but him and Meg Ryan I loved more in this movie than Sleepless.

I had such a MASSIVE CRUSH on Clooney after One Fine Day...I think I still swoon at the George Clooney of that movie till this day *sigh*...lol...

Honestly they just don't know the formula anymore, I'm convinced...all these 21 dresses etc. type of movies are just ehhh.

I like Meg Ryan too but I adoreee Sandra Bullock...she's just got this PERFECT mix of goofy femininity...like the kind of person you'd want to be friends with...that WARM vibe she gives out in like every movie...I adore that about her.

I actually didn't know about When Harry met Sally until after I watched Hum Tum...lol

I think I'm more old school...I like more of the cleaner feel-good rom-coms...When Harry met Sally and Pretty Woman don't really fall under that for me...I still remember being surprised after hearing so much about Pretty Woman to discover that it was a movie about a man falling in love with his prostitute? Wow...lol

Oh When Harry Met Sally was awesome sauce because I was in that age, where "chance encounters" and at that, "repeated chance encounters" of two people destined to be, seemed like such a beautiful concept! And I loved Sleepless and mail equally, for sure, I could dig that couple in any number of romantic movies I guess, they were my version of SRK-Kajol πŸ˜† 

And I think I know what you mean about Sandra. I liked her in her movies, but I'd still take to someone like Meg Ryan more. There's something very understated about her... and I LOVED LOVED LOVED her eyes in ALL her romantic movies... sigh!!! Sandra usually got the more talking characters... no, not talking... I mean, louder, maybe? Okay, no. I think Sandra was always the more metropolitan female lead in my head, and Meg Ryan was more... I guess midwestern? I like the mid-west flavor of romance - the slow burner stuff. There's so much more of destiny making it happen, than making destiny happen about it... sheee! Does that make any sense? πŸ˜† I blame it on typing too slow to collect my thoughts πŸ˜†

ps: While you were Sleeping features in the less occasional of Sandra like roles for me. I loved that movie with the fever pitch devotion of that age for rom-coms...! 

And talking of Pretty Women... I guess Julia Roberts' classic had their yet another and own tangent. Definitely the more racy kind, but I liked plenty of them nonetheless. 

It's interesting now that I think of it. The distinction among these 3 as individuals somehow reflected in their respective share of movies. I don't know the exact terms to categorize them, but they're like genres unto themselves within the broad rom-com class, haina? 
-Fivr- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Lol! Moving this to the CC..

We are so hopelessly off-topicπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Oh well...haha While You Were Sleeping is MY fav. movie to repeat on DVD...my go to for a pick me up...I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it...did you know it was Sandra's first hit? And a hit no one expected...the movie had been written off...it was like one of those sleeper hits that no one saw coming...lol

Seriously?! I had no idea this was her first hit!! 😲 Some devotee I am! *shakes head* I wonder why they wrote this movie off.. From what I remember it was a good movie but then that's my memory from 5-6 years ago. Just goes to show k the critics are not always good predictors of what people may like. I am definitely watching this movie tomorrow! Seriously.. Achanak sey i just want to watch it!!

I guess you like The Lake House cuz of the whole letters and angsty thing, no? lol

That could be it.. Probably is.. That last scene has me all teary eyed every time so I am SURE that's what it is.. πŸ˜†
Walk The Line? Ofcourse you had to watch, loyal Texan  youπŸ˜†...yeah that was a good movie...but  not a rom-com.

LOL!!! Come on! It's Johnny Cash!! πŸ˜† It wasn't a rom-com at all, you're right.. But it had that long term courtship/relationship between him and June and the fact that this was a real story and it had songs I could sign along to.. How could I not! πŸ˜†

Out of her rom-coms, I liked those two...Mark Ruffalo was with her in Just Like Heaven...

Mark Ruffalo is currently only HULK in my mind since last May. πŸ˜† Finally we have a decent Hulk and my mind refuses to not typecast Mark Ruffalo in that at the moment. Mark Ruffalo has a certain charm about him though.. It's a soft kind of charm but it's there.. And it WORKS! πŸ˜†

I guess it's a preference thing anywaysπŸ˜†

-Fivr- thumbnail
Moving this to the CC too:

Originally posted by: -Fivr-

I've never seen any of the older classics.. But maybe I should.. Koi suggestions?? πŸ˜³πŸ˜†

LMAO @ one more like on facebook! Isn't that what "Mujhse Fraandship Karogee" played at.. πŸ˜†πŸ˜† I loved Sleepless in Seatle but never really like When Harry met Sally.. Maybe because I tried to watch it after I'd seen Hum Tum and I just.. I don't know.. I guess jab I like randomness like Lake House toh meri choice ka koi bharosa nahi.. πŸ˜†

And don't even get me started on the lack of decent family entertainment movies these days.. Although I guess we always have the Marvel Avenger movies that I can force my parents to watch with me if nothing else.. πŸ˜†

AreYaar thumbnail
LOL Meg kinda always did a bit of the spaced out characters, you know? Like I ADORE Kathleen Kelley from You've Got Mail but if I had to compare it to Sandra's from While You Were Sleeping, it would be Kathleen who'd be more spaced out despite being that witty female locking wits with the hero.

Frankly, WYWS was the only THAT kind of movie Sandra even did...uske baad toh she did more comedy types like Congeniality waali series and all.

I honestly felt that SIS and YGM had a lot of similarities characters-wise for Meg.

Who doesn't love the destiny deal? Isn't that like a staple of a good rom-com anyways? It's there in all the good ones...even WYWS has it...life doesn't always work out the way you plan it.

I think I love YGM more for the seriously AWESOME battle of wits b/w Tom and Meg and I love WYWS for just the SWEET connection b/w Lucy and Jack and how it builds when no one expects it...I also love the FAMILY aspect to the movie...Lucy going from being so lonely to getting a whole family...this crazy mad family...Sandra portrays THAT so well.

But yes, word about Meg's eyes...

I actually think Michelle Pfeiffer did a great job in One Fine Day too...
mits002 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Ok I lied, I have seen this video but saw the last part again. 

It is also amazing how a show's vision is director's. Every little thing. They have it in mind how it should be executed and make sure that's how these actors perform. Kudos!

Off to bed. Hoping for a stellar episode tomorrow. 
AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Fivr-

Seriously?! I had no idea this was her first hit!! 😲 Some devotee I am! *shakes head* I wonder why they wrote this movie off.. From what I remember it was a good movie but then that's my memory from 5-6 years ago. Just goes to show k the critics are not always good predictors of what people may like. I am definitely watching this movie tomorrow! Seriously.. Achanak sey i just want to watch it!!

Mark Ruffalo is currently only HULK in my mind since last May. πŸ˜† Finally we have a decent Hulk and my mind refuses to not typecast Mark Ruffalo in that at the moment. Mark Ruffalo has a certain charm about him though.. It's a soft kind of charm but it's there.. And it WORKS! πŸ˜†

LOL yepp it was her first hit...she was like an unknown before this...the movie came out in like 1995 yaar...it's like TWENTY YEARS agoπŸ˜†...this was the movie that sort of established her...she got Speed and all after this only I think.

Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk...haha yeah that's his recent claim to fame...but I liked him pehle bhi...have you seen 13 going on 30? He was cute in that movie too...He deffo has a charm about him...Abhay Deol actually reminds me of him onlyπŸ˜†

Anyways, Just Like Heaven was cute I thought...you might like it...try kar lo.
-Fivr- thumbnail
Alright ladies.. Time for me to call it a night! One more day before I can sleep in on Saturday! πŸ₯±

G'night/day everyone! πŸ˜ƒπŸ€—
-Fivr- thumbnail

LOL yepp it was her first hit...she was like an unknown before this...the movie came out in like 1995 yaar...it's like TWENTY YEARS agoπŸ˜†...this was the movie that sort of established her...she got Speed and all after this only I think.

Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk...haha yeah that's his recent claim to fame...but I liked him pehle bhi...have you seen 13 going on 30? He was cute in that movie too...He deffo has a charm about him...Abhay Deol actually reminds me of him onlyπŸ˜†

Anyways, Just Like Heaven was cute I thought...you might like it...try kar lo.

1995 still feels like 10 years ago.. My brain refuses to believe that 90s are not last decade.. 😳 πŸ˜†

OMG you're right! He definitely reminds me of Abhay Deol.. Or rather Abhay Deol reminds me of Mark! 😲 I have seen 13 going on 30 and I knew that Jennifer Garner was in it but I honestly didn't remember Mark Ruffalo at all.. I didn't think that was him.. But then I saw the movie like 10 years ago so.. I just couldn't stand Jennifer in that movie - her character was just annoying.. I know it's supposed to be a 13 year old but seeing a grown woman act that was just made me want to smack her! So I never watched it again.. πŸ˜†

I have seen Just Like Heaven yaar.. I have that on DVD too so you're definitely right about me liking it! You know me too well Anu jee!! πŸ˜† I have seen most of the movies you guys are mentioning.. Just not the older movies that Jzee was mentioning but hopefully I will watch those too.
Edited by -Fivr- - 11 years ago
without-fathom thumbnail
Okay I didn't mean to disappear but my fiance decided he wanted to be the first one to wish me Good Friday (don't ask me why the hell, we don't celebrate the day by any far stretch!!!) at such an early morning hour and was then surprised to find me "wide awake" - and I'm like, toh matlab, your basic intention was just to wake me up ridiculously early on a Friday morning (woh bi CHUTTI wala Friday) and then be all smug about it?! *shakes head laughing cluelessly* Khair, in all the while we talked we didn't get anywhere with the "logic" of his "first one to wish me Good Friday" call, so that! 

[Maybe it's just the kind of call that happens when you sit up 4 AM on Friday morning discussing good old school rom coms with your cyber buddies πŸ˜† ] 

Fivray! You HAVE to watch the black and whites yaar! Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's (given my recent relapse of fangirling about Holly Golightly special insistence for Tiffany's!) and An Affair to Remember toh is the same one that is the basis of Meg's wishful confession in Sleepless in Seattle. There are many, many, I need to sit and remember my favorites... But those 3 to begin with, if you haven't! 

Nur - There is a definite abstraction about Meg and her characters, and I think that is my appeal. I just love SIS for the whole conception of radio requests, the very unimaginable scenario of clash of destinies in such distance... it's like a manifestation of the conspiring universe... There are those years in your life when the sheer impossibility of such prospects being portrayed in such a romantic light make mush out of you, and I was all for it I suppose! πŸ˜† But no disagreement about the similarity underlying Sleepless and Mail wrt Meg's character. Like I said, I think there's almost a commonness to the kind of rom-coms these girls of have each done for themselves. Julia has always had the more... if nor forward, the more cynically induced with love kind of characters. Sandra's the most girl next door case. Meg is somewhere in the poetic realm for me. 

And Fivr, word about Ruffalo as hulk, dude REALLY gave him a face that somehow brought out the essence of Hulk! The vulnerability inside his monster size! Hulk is an adorable character in his own making... such a simpleton! πŸ˜†

Mitsy - i think you're off by now, but hellooo to you too πŸ€— I happen to watch QH scenes on and off since my friend watches it on TV, and I'm going to be with Nur and you about Surbhi. If anything, its about her antics now, she's somehow grown into them in a way of being natural, so she's actually cute! In fact, in all honesty as I was saying some days ago, KSG has slipped somewhere in a confused zone between KSG/Armaan and Asad. I definitely like Surbhi the better of the two now, and her "unassuming" klutzy ways are no longer jarring, but finally something characteristic of her. Baaki ka drama around the show is sooo blah, and the brothers I can't care about, cause Ayaan was Maggi hair dude is such a hopeless actor IMO. I still like Dilshad. Her track and role is very mehh and sidelined for now, but there's still something about her screen presence, I like the lady. And the Billo Tannu toh πŸ₯± Like whatever man! 

Asad Zoya scenes are cute, and at this point, I give Zoya more credit, easily! 
without-fathom thumbnail

Random fun article about NYC from my Twitter feed

Things They Don't Tell You About New York Before You Get Here

The mythology surrounding New York City, for the most part, is as true as it is compelling. Neurosis is common and endearing. 20-somethings live sitcom-esque lives. Dating is a bitch. Concrete jungle where dreams are made. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Yep'New York is a city full of clichs to the foreigner, and those clichs become all the more real when you touch down in New York for the first time and actually begin living them. However, in my experience, New York City carries certain traits and expectations outside of the aforementioned elements that no one tells you about before you get here.

There's a lot of yoga going on

No, really. Everyone does yoga, all of the time. It's all about yoga. If you don't do yoga you're not a real New Yorker. If yoga was an Olympic sport New York would win. You can never do too much yoga in New York. You'll probably try to avoid yoga for as long as possible but you'll succumb eventually. I used to practice very casually in Australia, but as a New Yorker I've joined the yoga militants. Yeah, I'm one of those wankers walking down the street with a yoga matt strapped across my back, but mark my words'you can try and fight it as much as you want, soon you're going to be shopping for yoga accessories on Amazon and floating around talking about your downward dog.

New Yorkers have sponges for brains

Everyone knows everything about everything, all the time. Everyone has seen that obscure new art house film, oh and that Jennifer Aniston blockbuster, which wasn't actually so bad. Everyone has seen every relevant TV show and Youtube clip. Everyone has read all the most important contemporary literature in fiction and non-fiction books and magazines. Everyone has a timely understanding of the news and politics and opinions to go with it. Everyone knows all the events happening in New York and attends gallery exhibitions and gigs constantly. New York is a mishmash of high and low culture, and you're going to need to find a way to fit it all inside your tiny foreign brain or you'll find yourself nodding and smiling at parties as everyone around you talks about the latest episode of Game Of Thronesor some obscure art gallery you need a password to get into (note: this will make you feel like an idiot but chances are you're not. I swear these people carry around flash cards or something).

It really is the city that never sleeps

I think everyone is sort of like, "Hah, Frank! You rapscallion, you! Fooling us with your exaggerated notions of New York City!" BUT FRANK IS NOT EXAGGERATING. NEW YORK DOES NOT SLEEP AND NEITHER WILL YOU. When you first arrive you'll probably be introduced to the 48-hour day'the one where you go out for a 'quiet drink' on Monday evening only to find yourself at a party in some stranger's loft on the Bowery at 5am, at which point you quietly bow out, sneak home for a shower before creeping off to work feeling very, very sorry for yourself. The novelty of partying all night quickly wears off, but the theory applies to other things as well, including trains (New Yorker, I know this seems like a no brainer, but most major cities I've been to close their subway around midnight), food, and even haircuts. You want it, you got it'New York is open for you 24/7.

It's not that dangerous

Before you get to New York City you sort of expect that you're going to get mugged all the time, but in my experience, the city isn't as dangerous as it's made out to be. In fact, I've been more afraid after dark in cities like Melbourne, Sydney, London and Paris. Sure, New York has its bad areas, but even the nice areas in other cities have a tendency to get very scary after night falls and a few drinks are passed around. New York, by comparison, is quite tame. I've been here for almost a year and haven't seen one bar fight or felt uncomfortable walking home alone after midnight'which is more than I can say for other cities I've been to or lived in.

There is no Central Perk

Friends wasn't even filmed in New York. I always knew that it was filmed on sets'but I still assumed they were in New York. The disappointment of learning this harsh truth was synonymous to realizing the truth about Santa. It hurt, dammit.

It's cheaper than it looks

Again, coming from cities like Melbourne and London, the cost of living is somewhat of a dream in New York. Rent is still cheap enough if you're willing to live somewhere other than Bedford Avenue or the East Village. Groceries are abundant and affordable (again, if you avoid obviously overpriced places like the Brooklyn Natural) and drinking/ partying is offensively cheap. Even nice dinners are about half the price they are in Australia, including tip and tax! On a writer's wage, New York has been the most pleasantly affordable city I've ever lived in, although before I got here all I heard was how expensive it would be. LIES AND SLANDER.

Everyone is really, really nice

The generally accepted perception of New Yorkers by foreigners is that they're all assholes. You're told that the rudest, meannest, most obnoxious people in the world inhabit this city, but when you arrive you find it's quite the opposite. People are helpful, jovial and kind. Of course, you encounter the odd dickhead, it happens everywhere, but the city is generally full of very accommodating, happy people'overwhelmingly so. People are more than willing to go out of their way to help you when you're lost, to give you advice or to befriend you when you're trying to make your start. And even after you arrive, almost a year later, New Yorkers never fail to disappoint with their generosity, smiles and openness.

Time is irrelevant

Time does not exist in New York. You have to do your job, go to yoga, watch, read and know lots of relevant things, socialize, party, get a mani-pedi, date, visit galleries and museums' and there are no excuses. Living in New York, you have to learn to maximize every single second of every single day. They don't tell you how irrelevant time is before you get here'you think that 2pm means three hours until you knock off work, but it doesn't, not in New York at least. To the New Yorker, it means NOTHING. Work must be finished. People must be met. Things must be seen and done. It doesn't matter what time it is or how much time is left in the day, TIME DOES NOT EXIST IN NEW YORK CITY. 

Edited by without-fathom - 11 years ago