Asianage: Television's new-age biwis

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago

Television's new-age biwis

There was a time in Indian television when playing the ideal wife meant living a life that revolved only around the husband and family. Be it Tulsi Virani from Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Parvati Agarwal from Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii or Vidya from Banoo Main Teri Dulhann — the housewife went about doing daily chores while battling family problems.

Cut to 2013, television biwis and bahus have evolved. They have a career, manage household duties, stand up for their rights and even prove to be a source of inspiration for their husbands. Some of them even stress on the importance of getting educated and taking English-speaking classes. Sony's upcoming show Chanchan for example, shows actress Sanaya Irani as a modern housewife who does not believe in curbing her freedom to please her in-laws. "My character comes from a very liberal family. But I fall in love with a boy whose family is the complete opposite. My mother in-law is strict and hates my behaviour. But I have my own opinions. I am not one of those to be suppressed. In fact, I oppose those who think that a bahu is always supposed to wear a ghunghat," says Sanaya.

Actors also believe that somewhere the message shown through serials is bringing about a change in the mindset of those who think that a woman's place is only at home. Says Deepika Singh, who plays the lead actress of Diya Aur Baati Hum, "The audiovisual medium of television has great potential to bring about a change in the male-dominated mindset. Fans have been coming out to express how much a serial has changed the outlook of their families. They understand the new-age thought of giving women the freedom that they deserve." Adds Sakshi Tanwar, who is playing Priya in Bade Achhe Lagte Hain, "Priya is first a woman and then a daughter, sister, wife and mother. She is fiercely independent and takes on the challenges in life on her own terms — something that reflects today's modern young woman. These two characters itself are proof of how much television has evolved."