Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Values and Japan

Dazlingflower Senior Member
Dazlingflower
Dazlingflower

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged

I haven't been to this forum since I am in Japan. I thought I should post my experience while I am still here. For past week, I am roaming the heart of Japan- Kyoto. Koyoto was the main capital of Japan, but it was changed later on to Tokyo. Kyoto is in the middle of everything, so this is the best place to stay. It's situated in the middle of many rain forests, so it's green everywhere. It's also surrounded with green mountains. If you come in Winter, you experience snow here.

From day one, I feel like I am in heaven. People are extra nice here. First I thought it was just my luck, but it's been a week, and I haven't encountered any rude people. Even at the airport where we are used to seeing people and employees loosing their patience over small matters; doesn't seem to be existing in Japan. From floor sweeper to person behind the information desk to manager, people are humble. I got lost many times and I always find people who went out of their way to help me. Even when they didn't speak English and couldn't explain me well, they walked me to the place. It was not a matter of one minute walk, but 20 to 25 minutes walk, but they were happy to do it with a smile. And No intention of getting any reward for their good deed. ...was an amazing feeling. Are you kidding me I am used to seeing hungry or starving eyes always seeking oportuntity to make money...but not here. I feel like  I am in time zone of Satyug..which existed in India long long long time ago.

People are very content here. They eat small and live in a compact places, but they are satisfied. Becaus eof their eating habits, they are healthy. I haven't seen any obese people so far. Is it due to their diet perhaps ? Most of the cities are organized like the streets of Delhi, but only 100 times cleaner. You don't find any signs of trash here. I have gone through so many cities so far, and I haven't seen any dirty streets. Tokyo is more like New york, ofcourse 100 times cleaner and organized. People always talk about Tokyo, but I wonder why Westerns don't like to talk about Kyoto...may be it's life style is too slow for them.

Amazing thing is 2000 temples in Kyoto alone. They are so well preserved. Not the way our government has handled our historic places...Japan is keen about saving their culture. If they see any scratch on the temple, they fix it right away. Outside of the castles and temples are kept in good condition as well. Many of the castles and temples are built in the middle of forests, so you can imagine the grand view. All the temples and castles have gardens that are miles and miles long. All of them have natural springs and water falls. Japanese believe in having everything natural, so the let the trees grow naturally. They don't plan  the way we do here, so we can have 100 trees in one row...they let them grow wild ...like they are supposed to do. Yesterday I went to see one of the tallest Buda statues in the world. They have water straight coming out of a mountain...no filters were installed. I drank the water without fear....and guys it's nothing compare to anything. It was like Amrit. Water had its own flavor. All of these companys that claim to put mountain water in bottles are lying...that holy water near budha temple was like drinking Amrit from God himself.

One tradition which amaze me is the way they handle their weddings and Death rituals. Japanese get married in Shinto style and perform death rituals in Budaism style. Many Japanese don't believe in religion, but believe in philosphy hidden in holy scripts. Older gerneration is more into praying, but younger generation is free in their thinking. But still everyone is down to earth here. You don't see guys and girls holding hands here. You don't see kissing in public. People are respectful towards elder. Teenagers are ell behaved. I haven't seen any police cars on any street. Crime rate is zero. Women roam the streets without fear. Trasportation is created so people won't have any discomfort. No signs of vulger behavior. Train runs every 3 seconds.

Before seeing Japan, I used to think USA is the advanced nation. I only had India, USA and England experience. Japan is what you should consider an advance race in every sense. I wonder is it Budism that guides these people to stay so clam and serene? How come the whole generation is extra nice amd content? How are people so satisfied with whatever they have?   

It seems like when we talk about heaven..it actually exists in Kyoto Japan. When we say after death we will go to heaven, Japanese are already experiencing that heaven. God has bestowed so much love in Japan. The beauty is never ending...Indeed it's heaven on earth.

Aparna_BD IF-Dazzler
Aparna_BD
Aparna_BD

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged
Wow that was excellent reading. Clap This place really seems amazing. I think i want to go for a holiday to Japan now. Smile

MNMS Goldie
MNMS
MNMS

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 3:07am | IP Logged
RAjju diiiiiiiiiiiiii HugBig smileBig smile So nice to see u after such a long timeHug.. Im coming to Japan!!!!!!!!! Just greet me Wink Tongue

Edited by MNMS - 26 July 2006 at 3:08am
sowmyaa IF-Dazzler
sowmyaa
sowmyaa

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:50am | IP Logged
DF it was soooo nice to see your post after long time Hug Wow, your post was really WOW!!!! Just by reading i can imagine how beautiful and serene that place would be. Now after you have told so much i wish to visit it some day. But I do agree that budhism is very calm and peaceful religion. When things around you are so serene and pure you definetly fall in love with that place. Enjoy your stay dear!! and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us Smile
mkzara Goldie
mkzara
mkzara

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged
wow.  The place sounds enchanting. You write so well DF i can almost see the culture and the beauty. U r so lucky that u get to experience all the beauty and the the culture.

Edited by mkzara - 26 July 2006 at 10:54am
Dazlingflower
Dazlingflower

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:06am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Wow that was excellent reading. Clap This place really seems amazing. I think i want to go for a holiday to Japan now. Smile

Thanks..I think you should go. It's not expensive either..I stayed in Westin Miyako in Kyoto, Japan and rates were reasonable. One dollor is equal to 114 yen. If you do decide to go, you might ennjoy green hills of KyotoTongue

Dazlingflower
Dazlingflower

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:08am | IP Logged

Originally posted by MNMS

RAjju diiiiiiiiiiiiii HugBig smileBig smile So nice to see u after such a long timeHug.. Im coming to Japan!!!!!!!!! Just greet me Wink Tongue

Hey you little shaitaan di tokari...how are you? I was waiting...where were you?Wink

Dazlingflower
Dazlingflower

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:15am | IP Logged

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Thanks DF.
Sounds very nice. Glad you get to see and live in a remarkable part of the world. Enjoy.
What you discribe sounds utopia. I wish it is that good. Unfortunately, there is always a flip side of the coin. I do not wish for there be some miserey in Japanese life (Germans have a word for it - I forget) but there usually is. If you discover it, please do not post it, let the fantasy remain.
Hope you can get some tips on how to make the rest of the earth a heaven and post them.

I agree. Every culture has its flip side to it. Fortunately, I didn't see any in Kyoto. May be it exist in Tokyo or some other cities in Japan, but Kyoto city has managed to escape from most of the evil in the world.....touchwood.

Go to top